shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most beautiful diamond cut of all?

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
I have found myself having a bit of a Snow White moment, trying to work out what is the most beautiful diamond cut of them all...

I have already had to choose the diamond for my dream engagement ring (upgrade) and after months I chose the oval brilliant. (Waiting for it to be made now...) After many agonies I concluded that the oval shape was by far the nicest on my hand, so even if it wasn't the blingiest possible diamond (and bling - fire/brilliance/sparkle - is VERY important to me) it was the best choice for me. Luckily I found a great sparkler in my budget.

But now I'm dreaming about what else I could choose if the shape didn't matter and I was going just for the pure beauty of the cut. I love emerald cuts for pure elegance but would only have one if I already had a brilliant cut. And I love the AVCs for the broad flashes of light as well and think they are beautiful in the warmer colors, especially with french cut sidestones.

I searched out this topic and found that the last time it was done was 2003!! There are so many new and wonderful cuts since then! At that time the big faves were RBs and Regents (whatever they are..) with a few shoutouts for emerald cuts, pears and OECs/OMCs. So I guess it is time to hear from everybody what the current favorite diamond cuts are out there...

So what is your favorite cut? And why - is it the shape, the faceting structure, height/shape of the crown, the kind of light return you get - whether fire or sparkle? Please post pictures if you have any.

Let's find out what is the most beautiful cut of all...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me.

OEC's are gorgeous and they face up so white not much beats a beautiful true vintage OEC for me.

Asschers are amazing but face up small and need higher color and clarity. But if I had an unlimited budget... not much beats them for me.

Emerald cuts. Elongated asschers to me. Look very flattering on a number of hands. Too big and they get to masculine for me but up to 4.5 carats they are lovely.

Ovals. YAY spread! If I'm trying to maximize budget not much beats these for spread plus the elongated shape is very flattering. And they look amazing in so many different settings. Hard to find a nice one.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much a personality over ideal light return kind of girl for myself. I want excellent light return but I'm willing to give up the ideal for personality.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well I chose a square cushion H&A...I think it is beautiful :) but so many diamond cuts are gorgeous-I saw a 4 carat OEC last week and it was amazing!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Great answers already! Kenny I was wondering if you would say the octavia. So you do prefer them over asschers?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a well cut fine asscher but frankly the Octavia's light performance rivals that of the best-cut round.
We have all 3.
IMHO the Octavia combines the best of both worlds, the classic architectural feel of a step cut with the astonishing fireworks and light performance of an ideal-cut round.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My favourite is still emerald cut, but oh, how I love a nice chunky cushion and a lovely fat pear. Asschers are wonderful, too.

If I don't stop typing now, this will just be a list of all the available cuts, because in truth, there aren't many I can't love. :lickout:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I have to say the asscher, or as Kenny points out the Octavia. I also love an EC, they are so elegant and timeless, classy. But I also love a really great old cut, AC , OEC, or tranny, so beautiful!! :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm with JenniferW on this one. I'd list emerald, pear and OEC on my list. There are only a few cuts I don't care for.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
True vintage OEC. You just get lost in the kaleidoscope play of facets. OMC is right next to it.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE the OEC's. The fire and light play are mesmerizing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably say an August Vintage Round. They are OEC's with perfect cut. Not sure I could find anything else as pleasing to me. The downside is that the supply is low in sizes above a carat. :(sad I also love antique cushions that are rounded edged squares..both GOG AVC's and ERD's.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL ooohsparkly ... is that a loaded question! And every answer is correct because beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

With this knowledge in mind, when we are serving a client one of the first things we attempt to learn from them is what it is their eyes prefer most. There are diamonds that emphasize more tinier flashes and diamonds that emphasize fewer large flashes and then there is everything in between. These various personalities are available in both round and fancy shapes too. Something which IMO is important is the tradeup policy so if your taste ever changes over time you have the freedom to trade and get back what you paid, that is, if that is important to you. **edited by moderator. please comply with our policies--NO self promotion**

Kindest regards,
Rhino

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I concur with Rhino- it's really a matter of personal taste.
Another thing that makes a huge difference is the way a diamond is set.
Sometimes an emerald cut ( my personal fave) looks amazing in one setting- and a second setting completely obliterates the characteristics that make the cut so special to my eyes.

I also think videos can be very helpful- I'd add that it's very important to look at many different videos shot by different producers.
I can see huge differences between videos I shoot, and those of others for example.
This has to do with lighting and other aspects that also carry over to the stones in real life- and even personal taste of the producer.
We can see these differences when we look at certain types of stones, and how they react to different kinds of light in real life- not only in video.
One that comes to mind is Ideal RBC's in direct sunlight. Another is putting a small virtual facet stone- such as a Radiant, in a tray for photography.
So, for those who love a particular type of cut, how we look at it makes a big difference in what we see.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Rhino and Rock diamond for chiming in with those extra perspectives from the trade!

I am kind of amazed - I would have to say that so far the overwhelming vote tends towards the OECs. What is it about this old cut that still mesmerizes? And isn't it a concern or even a deal breaker that it's hard to know if you have a really good one? And that they're hard to find in jewellery stores (I've never seen one in real life and I went to all the bigname stores in my nearest major city) so you're mostly stuck with buying online - so it's hard to see in person before you buy?

And what about RBs? Not one vote yet for what is known to be the most popular stone in the general population?? :confused:

Very mysterious....

stci

Ideal_Rock
OEC is the most beautiful cut for my taste. So adorable and flash with tons of colors! :love: :love:

gros_plan.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
oohsparkly|1335410815|3181143 said:
I am kind of amazed - I would have to say that so far the overwhelming vote tends towards the OECs. What is it about this old cut that still mesmerizes? And isn't it a concern or even a deal breaker that it's hard to know if you have a really good one? And that they're hard to find in jewellery stores (I've never seen one in real life and I went to all the bigname stores in my nearest major city) so you're mostly stuck with buying online - so it's hard to see in person before you buy?

Very mysterious....

Well, those of use who have some experiences with them know good ones. And there are a few threads (Actually Dreamers post in one SMTB thread was excellent about this, maybe she'll find it for us if I can't) on what a good one looks like. You will NOT see them in average jewelry stores but if you go to an antique jewelry store or a store that carries higher end estate pieces you will see them.

As for what is so mesmerizing. For me the broader facets that provide slower flashes than RB's are a huge pull. So is the snowflake or checkerboard or flower patterns some of them exhibit (the best ones IMO). As long as it's a bright stone I don't need ideal performance and honestly making them ideal for me takes some of the charm away... makes them more cookie cutter perfect and that's kinda not really the draw for me.

It's kinda like cats for me. Sure I could get a dog and train it so that obeys my every command, it will always be eager to please and always loyal and affectionate on my terms. But a cat is pickier, more an individual with it's own contained personality, it might love me and spend time with me, but it's not on my terms. It's on mutual terms. I had to win the loyalty of my cat. Not just be present to win it. And that makes it more heartwarming to me. Weird but true. I also feel this way about my asscher.

ETA: HERE Is the thread where Dreamer posted about what makes good OEC with pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-help.174117/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-help.174117/[/URL]

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I "thought" my favorite was a chunky cushion but the August Vintage Rounds are what I have my eye on now. or and antique OEC. Never cared for round diamonds and now I love them with that type of faceting.

I will say that Octavia is quite an amazing cut stone...love asschers and those well, words just can't describe. Would cost a fortune for a 10mm one though, which is my goal, they are cut so deep.

AVR and Octavia, are my very very favs! Fun thread.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
In a photo, I like anything. But in person I gravitate to round brilliant and marquise.
It's hard though to say I like a certain cut best because all cuts have beautiful examples and non-beautiful examples. I remember a (mean) joke my sons and friends used to play in high school (when boys can be silly and mean). They would offer to set up a guy on blind date and ask if he would like to go out with a tall blonde or a short brunette. Then they would show the two girls in question--the short brunette was gorgeous and the tall blonde--not so much (at least by teenage boy silly standards). they found this hilarious--they are grown out of this stage fortunately. But there's a lesson here for diamonds (which don't have feelings to be hurt). I want to see the example of the diamond before I judge, since any cut can be ugly and any cut can be beautiful, and as someone observed above, the settings also make a difference.

I gravitate to round and marquise because they suit my hand best. I found this out about forty years ago and it is still true. daimond shapes go in and out of style (except round brilliant) but my hand shape and fingers don't change and they keep looking best with these two styles, though princesses, asschers, etc come and go in favor, especially on pricescope where the regulars tend to be both fashion forward (ahead of trends actually usually) and willing to change their stones (the rest of the world, at least my corner of it, hasn't discovered upgrades yet. )

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's all personal preference but I like them all for different reasons. RB IMO sparkle the most. I think EC, pear and marquis are very elegant looking. Ovals and hearts are always on my preference list because I like their shapes. Asscher and Octiva are amazing and so unique. Cushion and PC are really pretty and I love to see them on PS but I don't think I'd pick them out for my ering.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have all sorts of cuts ... and favourite hands down is a true vintage well cut OEC.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I really love tidy OECs and trannies (i.e., nice symmetry and small culets). What I like best about my own trannie is the little flower pattern in the centre, the tiny culet, and the chunky flashes of colour that pop out whenever I move my hand.

I also really like ovals, but I've yet to see one in my price range that's a) large enough and b) nicely cut.

For me, the ultimate stone is Yennyfire's -- the ultimate combination of oval shape and old cut. Perfection! :love:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm fascinated by the continuing domination of the OEC, amongst a smattering of others.

Hey Rhino! Are you still checking out this thread? It occurs to me to notice that you didn't give us your personal favorite in your reply! Come on, everyone will want to know what Jonathon's choice for most beautiful cut of all is. Don't be shy!

And thanks Gypsy for the thread on how to work out what is a good OEC. I'm definitely going to check that out. (And I like your cat analogy - I adore your thinking outside the box! I am more of a dog person I have to say... the cookie cutter version of a optimally cut diamond would suit me fine :naughty: . Where I live I'm as likely to see say, an AVC, as a UFO!)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
oohsparkly|1335443298|3181308 said:
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm fascinated by the continuing domination of the OEC, amongst a smattering of others.

Hey Rhino! Are you still checking out this thread? It occurs to me to notice that you didn't give us your personal favorite in your reply! Come on, everyone will want to know what Jonathon's choice for most beautiful cut of all is. Don't be shy!

And thanks Gypsy for the thread on how to work out what is a good OEC. I'm definitely going to check that out. (And I like your cat analogy - I adore your thinking outside the box! I am more of a dog person I have to say... the cookie cutter version of a optimally cut diamond would suit me fine :naughty: . Where I live I'm as likely to see say, an AVC, as a UFO!)

Hi oohsparkly,

I generally don't give my personal favorite because I personally do not like to influence a person's decision one way or another and is why I show and carry the variety that we do. :sun:

Truth be told my personal fav is the AVC. Over the course of the past 30 years that I've been in this business I can't begin to tell you how many vintage cushions have passed before my eyes and even among the best of them, never have we seen anything like it. There isn't another diamond on the planet I'm aware of that throws off pastels in natural lighting like it and it is captivating. Not only this but they face up larger and they work so well in warm colors that I am forced to carry two inventories of both white and warm varieties. The optics work amazing in both varieties and beauty, the pastels, is not diminished in the warmer colors, not one iota.

Having said that though, I get the perspective of everyone here and when I am asked this question in my store when I am giving a presentation on cushions or square cuts (or any shape for that matter) I tell my clients don't worry about what I like ... you're not marrying me. :loopy: You pick what pleases your eyes most.

Reading through the responses and your other question above regarding OEC's and Ideal Cut rounds (or Hearts & Arrows) I wanted to comment on that. As you see there are alot of OEC lovers here as well as AVR lovers (a modern OEC developed utilizing today's technologies for analzying light performance). One thing you must bear in mind is that traditional cut OEC's were phased out primarily because of the innovations in round brilliant diamond cutting during the 20th century with the introduction of the Ideal Cut and lengthening of the lower half facets on a round. So while you do see a lot of vintage cut diamond lovers here on this forum, quite honestly this microcosm of consumers you see here on Pricescope doesn't necessarily represent the world market in way of preference because modern faceted ideal cut rounds are still the highest in demand. When we give a presentation on rounds in our store we will show a variety of 5 different types of rounds and while there is a good percentile of consumers who LOVE OEC and AVR, the majority preference does lie for a more modern round. Of the modern varieties we feature (H&A, Solasfera, Eighternity & Star129) the two that draw most consumers eyes are the 91 faceted Solasfera & the 57 faceted H&A's, with the Star129 and Eighternity being less preferred (albeit there is a considerable amount of people who like those too). One thing we are personally witnessing however in way of rounds now though is when we introduce the AVR to people who've never seen one, we've seen a number of people who have come to us for a Hearts & Arrows round and once they see the AVR it's all over. ::)

At the end of the day it's about picking what pleases your eyes most. The aim of any company attempting to help their clients is to learn, first and foremost, what it is that pleases the eyes of their clients most and focus on getting them what they want and within their means.

I'll subscribe to this thread too in case you have any other questions for me. Hope that helps.

Kindest regards,
Rhino

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
FOR ME:
Star129 (I might be biased!) followed by an Octavia Asscher and a Crisscut Cushion/Asscher.

I LOVE my Star, and it's not the only one I have owned. I am still hoping the word of Star129 Melee is really gonna come to fruition, esp if they can do it in my clarity requirement!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain ol' RB for me :love:

I've never seen another shape or cut that can traverse the scale from discreet, delicate, and dainty to bold and powerful so completely and convincingly.

Other shapes - OECs, ECs, cushions - interest me, but at the end of the day the RB has my heart and it's not letting go ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of feel bad for leaving out ideal cut round brilliants, seeing as that is what most of my diamonds are! I do love them! I just want to add an AVR and AVC! :bigsmile:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my OEC but I do also love my Modern Round Brilliants. I am not changing my MRB for OEC since I enjoy both! heheh :love:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1335478207|3181783 said:
I sort of feel bad for leaving out ideal cut round brilliants, seeing as that is what most of my diamonds are! I do love them! I just want to add an AVR and AVC! :bigsmile:

DS I answered Modern round brilliants! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1335479388|3181804 said:
diamondseeker2006|1335478207|3181783 said:

DS I answered Modern round brilliants! :bigsmile:

Glad we were able to affirm our first love! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results