shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring CADs for twisted shank halo

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We decided on a different setting for the sapphire as it's too big for the other setting that was chosen (Its 1.7ct, 5.5x7mm).

This is the sapphire:

This is the inspiration ring:

This is the CAD:

What do you think of the CAD? Will it cast a setting that comes out like the inspiration photo? (The three small stones in the split shank have been removed)

in the sun.jpg

imspiration.jpg

top.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

34 view.jpg

side.jpg

side2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear; I thought it would fit the setting, especially after all the hunting and searching for the right size. The CAD looks good. I guess the airline between the halos of the original are not to be replicated in the custom design? It's a lovely ring.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice!

There are some significant differences between the outer halos. As Chrono mentioned, there is no airline and the cut corner is also smaller in the CAD (there is a small diamond in the cut corner of the inspiration ring and no stone in the CAD).

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. On the original setting, it appears that you only see diamonds when looking at the halos from the top, but if the CAD design is true to the final ring, you will see metal around the diamonds looking at it from the top. Is that what you want? If it is, that's great, but if you want the delicate look of the original ring, I think you may be disapointed.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1334833672|3174912 said:
Oh dear; I thought it would fit the setting, especially after all the hunting and searching for the right size. The CAD looks good. I guess the airline between the halos of the original are not to be replicated in the custom design? It's a lovely ring.

They should be. I thought the CAD's were always chunkier so when worked down there would be a bigger air gap. I will point this out to the maker. Thanks!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1334840808|3174962 said:
I agree with the others. On the original setting, it appears that you only see diamonds when looking at the halos from the top, but if the CAD design is true to the final ring, you will see metal around the diamonds looking at it from the top. Is that what you want? If it is, that's great, but if you want the delicate look of the original ring, I think you may be disapointed.

I want it just like the inspiration. I expect to see metal when viewed from the side (theres no tilting) but minimal metal when view from the top (like the inspiration). The inner halo should be marginally higher than the outer one. Thanks, I'll double check this also.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1334838714|3174948 said:
Nice!

There are some significant differences between the outer halos. As Chrono mentioned, there is no airline and the cut corner is also smaller in the CAD (there is a small diamond in the cut corner of the inspiration ring and no stone in the CAD).

Can you elaborate a little more for me? There is a mental "bridge" between the inner and outer halo on the inspiration- is that whats looking like a tiny diamond?

EDIT: metal not mental. d'oh

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I am not able to evaluate cads. But if all goes well I think it will be really nice!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've asked for the air gap to be bigger (whilst not large, obvious and visible). Also for the twisted shank to be slimmer and the melee to be finer. I'm just waiting on new CADs, will be back with new photos when I have them.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
New CAD's. The shank has been tapered a little more. the air gap made bigger and the diamond covered parts slimmer with less metal showing. Better?

3333.jpg

5555.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have new CADS. Hopefully these will be the final ones unless you see something I missed. What do you think, give the Go ahead or still need some tweek?

909.jpg

675.jpg

755.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update: just given ok to go ahead and cast the ring. Also there will be little diamonds behind the prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results