shape
carat
color
clarity

Nursery rockers, gliders, recliners, etc...

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We are debating what sort of chair to get for the nursery and trying to do lots of research, as this is our big splurge item for the baby's room. We would like something that rocks, glides and reclines, but also want an ottoman. I'm not sure this even exists.

What sort of chair did you get and why? What was the most important thing to you in selecting a chair? (We insist that the back is high enough to rest our heads.) Photos would be great as well! TIA.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Hi Megumic!

We bought this glider: http://www.bubs.com.au/_products/Gl...+GLIDER+CHAIR+++OTTOMAN+BEIGE-284-68963-.aspx. From what I have seen, most gliders (over here anyway) come with a gliding ottoman so that you can put your feet up while rocking.

I find the one we have really comfy. The only complaints I have are that the reclining motion can be a bit stiff (it 'jumps' forward when you get out of it, or gets stuck a bit) and it is a bit sticky in hot weather. I have covered mine with a throw rug though which overcomes the stickiness problem.

ETA: Oh, I see now that you meant you weren't sure if you could get a chair that rocks and glides. I hadn't really thought about the difference in motion being important. It wouldn't make too much difference would it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1334659683|3173150 said:
We have a glider from a company called best chairs http://www.besthf.com/besthf/Storytime/Home and love it. I love that it looks like a regular chair and it is so comfortable.

We have one and LOVE IT!!! They run about $700 (custom fabric, shipping, tax). This is ours. If you think you will be in the room a lot then go for it. Some people don't spend a lot of time in the nursery so it isn't worth it.

IMG_6013.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best chairs makes an ottoman too. We went with a glider recliner. I love that it reclines because I have fallen asleep with a baby in ours.
JCPenny's sells them too so if your local store carries them I would check them out. I went to our local Best Chairs retailer to try some out; they are bigger than they appear so you will want to sit in them. Our store carried another glider too that was modern looking, Dutalier, those were nice too!
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1851514&submit%20search.y=0&Ntt=best+chairs&SearchString=best+chairs&Ne=4+840+877+878+5+961+6+29+3+579+963+1014+1031+8+587+15+12+1011+598+11+506+10+23+585+969+596+1022+586+1007+879+968+1027+18+904+903+833+1545&hdnOnGo=true&NOffset=0&submit%20search.x=0&Nao=0&N=4294959029&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I am another one who went with Best Chairs - it was a pricey purchase but we wanted something that we could use in another room after the nursery. Ours is a rocker that also reclines and we also bought the ottoman, which glides as well. DH really wanted a recliner and I really wanted to ottoman for use when nursing. It has worked out great, in fact we are debating if we are going to take this one out of DDs room when the new baby comes or get another one.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
This is super helpful. Thanks so much for these ideas and recommendations!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine was a glider and came with a matching ottoman that glided or could be clicked into a motionless position. It wasn't very expensive, either. Less than $250. We might have got it at BRU, but that was 10+ years ago...not sure what that store carries these days.

Oh, and FWIW, we didn't use it as much as we had intended. I tried rocking my kids in it, but they never got into the rocking motion so basically it was another chair in our living room. It was nearly new when I sold it for about $50 on CL. It's always worth a shot looking on there.

ETA - just checked the Babies R Us site...either the prices have really gone up or we paid more than I remember! What I do recall is that I went around and tested them all out before picking one out. Found one that felt comfy in and glided smoothly.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
This was all super helpful! Over the weekend DH and I hit the closest stores with Best Chairs. Unfortunately, the one nearby didn't have the Tryp model we were hoping for, but they could order it. I was too nervous to order it w/o sitting in it (even though Best Chairs are very comfy and seem high quality.) Plus, with the ottoman it came to +$900!!!! So I decided to continue to search. We went to BRU and tried their chairs...womp womp. We found them to be far less comfortable and didn't like the fabric options, and they were still about $500 with the ottoman. Soooo. Then we went to BuyBuy Baby -- a branch of Bed Bath Beyond. It's about 40 mins from us, but I called in advance and they carried the Tryp chair - victory! Plus I asked about coupons - if you sign up on their mailing list you get an instant 20% off coupon emailed to you. Alternately, you can use BRU coupons and valid non-expired BBB coupons.

So, armed with two coupons, we went up there with the intent to purchase the Tryp. Turns out we found a Little Castle recliner called the Treasure that we liked much more. It is a recliner glider with an inside handle and we also got the ottoman. They had both in the store and I was easily able to push the ottoman with my feet to make space to recline. DH was too tall to rest his head on the Tryp and it was difficult to get to recline, but the Treasure was a perfect match - and MUCH cheaper than the Tryp at our local store. (FWIW, the Tryp was cheaper at Buybuy Baby than our local store as well...so well worth the drive.) We ended up spending $300 less than we would have at our local store. Victory in my mind!

It'll take 12 weeks to come in so I'm glad we went when we did. Thanks so much everyone for the input!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Meg-

Just curious, did Buy Buy Baby let you use the 20% off coupons on the ottoman and chair? I know the fine print says it can't be used on baby furniture. Also, did you use one coupon for the ottoman and one coupon for the chair? If so, that is AMAZING!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I signed up for emails on their website and was instantly emailed a 20% off coupon, which we could use on furniture. This prompted me to sign up DH's email account as well. The only snafu is that the coupon is only valid for 7 days, so don't sign up until you are ready to shop. I plan to "sign up" a few more friends the next time I'm headed there, but it cannot be used on every brand or item. Maybe the other types of coupons they issue you cannot use on furniture...I'm not sure really but yes I used one coupon for the ottoman and one coupon for the chair. A total bargain compared to what we planned on spending!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I have the dutalier glider that rocks, reclines, and the matching ottoman with the nursing stool that slides out. It has been awesome and I've used it with all 3 kids! Still using it with my youngest (16m). I rock her and sing before nap and nighttime. It's been so wonderful and comfortable and has held up great through the entire 7 years I've had it.
I believe it's this one: http://www.nurturecenter.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=538 with the matching square base ottoman with nursing footstool option. Mine is white wood frame, and I have 2 sets of cushions (I use a pear green for my girls and had a denim set for my middle child- a boy).

It's been one of my most-used baby items.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome advice Meg! THANKS!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came back from buying a power recliner, courtesy of my mother who insisted on buying me something to nurse in at night that fit her specifications. I had originally wanted to just use my wooden rocking chair that she used to rock me in when I was little, but she told me the arms weren't the correct height for breastfeeding comfort and that if I fell asleep in it I would drop the baby. So...ok, mom, buy me a chair, then.

I sat in about 30 different recliners and I liked the power action on this one the best. The control is very nondescript and is located on the inside of the right arm, which was key because I didn't want to have to reach over the side to have to push a button with a baby in my arms. There is no gap in the leather between the seat and the leg rest so a child can't fall down through it. The footrest actually comes up a couple inches higher than the seat if you want it to which will be great for foot/ankle swelling issues right now. The overall design is sleek and the back is high enough that my head rests against it and this was key because I'm so tall that other chairs were not providing that.

The whole contraption is very quiet and the action is so smooth you can barely feel it moving, which was something that turned me off of regular recliners--who wants to get the baby to sleep only to pop up out of a recliner with sudden action and have an awake baby again!?! We're picking it up this weekend (they wanted $99 for delivery across town--pbbbt, no way) and I am happy to list manufacturer and style info if anyone wants it. The sticker was $1400 but we got a substantial discount and I think it was $600 after whatever scam I mean sale they were running.

It is not the cute flowery upholstered chair I had envisioned, but I think it's practical and definitely fits the bill as far as function. My husband will love it. :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

recliner1.jpg

recliner2.jpg

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I like the chair a lot Monarch! It definitely doesn't look ANYTHING like the power recliners we saw at our local store. And how nice you can just pick it up - we have to wait until mid-July for ours!!! I agree w/you re inside recline mechanism...ours isn't power, but having it right there rather than reaching makes a huge difference!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Meg!

We are looking at a glider for the nursery too....I guess BBB has samples on their floor that you can try out? I plan on going to check them out. What color did you get, btw? We are having a hard time deciding....Since we don't know the sex of this baby and we do plan on having other children, I want to get something gender neutral that will be able to be in used in all of the kids nurseries, regardless of the sex. So far, I found this one, which I really like, its like a Dove grey and beige pattern. Input, anyone??

Meg- Can I also ask, why did you get a recliner and an ottoman? I'm just wondering for my own research? Is it the kind of recliner that you grab the handle and the bottom part for your feet pops up? If so, why would you need a ottoman? I'm clueless!!

littlecastleglider.png

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani I love the color! the only thing is that if you are exhausted and want to sleep with baby in the chair then you will want a recliner. That is what made us go with a glider/recliner.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I agree Skippy- we are going to go with a glider/recliner as well. Plus, it won't take up as much room. :))

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Dani, yes you can try the chairs at BBB which I loved. They take 12 weeks to order so plan ahead! We went with a grey color since we are team green. We didn't love the fabric, but loved the color and siding want a diff chair. We went with both recliner with inside handle to pop up feet and an ottoman so that we could glide with our feet up while sitting up. I'm short and my feet don't reach the ground while sitting in the recliner, so I had to get something to push off to get it to glide. So we decided for the extra $150 we would get the matching gliding ottoman. We were initially worried the foot recliner wouldn't have enough room to pop open with the ottoman there as well, but there was plenty of room! We can't wait for it t be ready!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Meg!!! I think we are going to have to take a ride to BBB to check out what we like. I think I am also going to go with a gray color. I found this pic of the Little Castle Cottage Style in a gray with white piping that I just love. If we like it and its comfy in person, I think this is what we'll go with.
Does anyone by chance have a pic of the LC Treasure? I can't find one anywhere online, its crazy!!!!!

lccottage.jpg

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
The treasure is very similar to the one you posted. It is new and I think it is just made for BBB so it's not even on the LC website. That looks like the grey we picked, but we did regular grey piping as it was $50 extra. Ours should be here in a few weeks, but also worth the ride to BBB. We drove an hour!

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go Lay-z-boy. We went a few weeks ago (right before Memorial Day) and ended up getting 25% off, even with custom fabric ordered.

We're planning aqua ursery walls and some grey and bright colored accents, so we chose a really pretty dark grey fabric that looks sort of blue at certain angles. it's kind of a velvety fabric and really plush. Lay-z-boy basically has 3 chair sizes, then multiple styles within each size, and I liked the medium size best. For me it still seems really big and plenty plush to sleep / nurse / spend hours in. I like the rocking motion and preferred that to their gliding option. I can't remember exactly but with a glider I think the recline action was different than with a rocker.

I'm supposed to be getting the chair the week of July 4 (45 days for production) so will post pics then.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
As of now, we are leaning toward a wooden frame glider. I would like a traditional recliner, but there isn't going to be room for that in our nursery, so we will probably get one of those for our main living area. And, I didn't find an armchair looking chairs that felt good. I have pretty short legs and when I would sit back in them, I couldn't get my feet on the floor comfortably. And, DH didn't feel like he could rest his head in the armchair-style chairs when he tried to get sleep-comfortable in them.

Anyways, we don't have Buy Baby Buys in the PNW. Anyone else out this way and have suggestions on other baby stores? All I have found in the way of big box stores is a BabiesRUs. I'll have to see if I can find a J.C. Penney's with a furniture store around to try out more of the Best Chairs styles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results