shape
carat
color
clarity

I don't think this FCD is going to last long

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though graded Yellowish Green, I consider this practically a PSA since you just don't seen this much green and so much carat weight, 0.74 for such a low price, $8520 wire.
Strong Blue Fluorescence too.
If it wasn't so huge I'd consider grabbing it, but it would dwarf the little guys my collection.
While the color could be more even, many very expensive natural greens are very often much more blotchy.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/6310.htm

Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 10.29.09 AM.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - great price and size as you say. I would love to know how the blue fluor actually affects this diamond though. I had a yellow diamond, with blue fluor, and it completely cancelled out all the yellow in certain lighting conditions. I truly hated it. I have no idea what blue fluor would do to the green but if there's more yellow IRL then I wonder if the same would happen here?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the post, Kenny. I appreciate the bits of education you provide as a FCD connoisseur. Of course, LD's comments as well.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know a lot about colored diamonds but that one might be more beautiful in person.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
LD|1334686832|3173387 said:
Kenny - great price and size as you say. I would love to know how the blue fluor actually affects this diamond though. I had a yellow diamond, with blue fluor, and it completely cancelled out all the yellow in certain lighting conditions. I truly hated it. I have no idea what blue fluor would do to the green but if there's more yellow IRL then I wonder if the same would happen here?

Interesting. Guess it depends how strong the blue is right? Maybe blue and green would work better together. Not sure though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good point LD.
You'd really do have to see the effect of the strong blue florescence for yourself.
FCDs are very personal and too complex and nuanced to be adequately described by a lab report.
You just can't make a final decision based on specs or pics.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1334687734|3173403 said:

Good point LD.
You'd really do have to see the effect of the strong blue florescence for yourself.
FCDs are very personal and too complex and nuanced to be adequately described by a lab report.
You just can't make a final decision based on specs or pics.

I agree and to top it off you can never predict how fluor will affect a diamond! There doesn't appear to be hard and fast rules (as you might expect).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1334687232|3173397 said:

Interesting. Guess it depends how strong the blue is right? Maybe blue and green would work better together. Not sure though.

The blue on mine was "stone blue". You'd think that blue + yellow would make green wouldn't you? It didn't though. I have a number of diamonds with fluor and from my own limited experiment and seeing what others say, I think it's fair to say that "normal" rules just don't work with fluor. The only way to be sure is to get the diamond and put it through it's paces in all lighting conditions!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why it's important to buy from a vendor with a no-questions-asked full money back guarantee.
Over the years I've returned 8 FCDs for various reasons.

If anyone's looking for a natural green diamond in this size this is a very unique opportunity, and worth a look in person.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1334688664|3173420 said:
innerkitten|1334687232|3173397 said:

The blue on mine was "stone blue". You'd think that blue + yellow would make green wouldn't you? It didn't though. I have a number of diamonds with fluor and from my own limited experiment and seeing what others say, I think it's fair to say that "normal" rules just don't work with fluor. The only way to be sure is to get the diamond and put it through it's paces in all lighting conditions!

Clearly I meant STRONG blue not stone blue! Sorry, put it down to a combination of tiredness and dyslexia!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's okay.
Dyslexics are teople poo.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1334693969|3173517 said:
It's okay.
Dyslexics are teople poo.

Despite the fact that I REALLY am dyslexic - I love this post and actually it made perfect sense to me!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And so it goes.

I hope someone here grabbed it.
I'd love to see pics of this green set in a ring.

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.47.25 AM.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, nice stone at the price - mine is only 14 points and virtually the same price. :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky lady/gent to snag a good sized decently coloured FCD at a good price.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i thought this comparison shot was interesting to see...

the left is the 0.74 fancy yellowish green diamond...
the center is the 0.81 fancy green diamond...
the right is the 0.88 fancy blue green diamond...

3 green-Pic2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the color difference and the price difference. (all wire prices)
Now I'm wishing I bought it.
It sure pays to check the noob FCDs every morning.

the left is the 0.74 fancy yellowish green diamond... $8,520
the center is the 0.81 fancy green diamond... $47,040
the right is the 0.88 fancy blue green diamond...$29,568

Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 11.16.58 PM.png

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i was just about to post the prices, you beat me to it kenny... :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1334906323|3175958 said:
i was just about to post the prices, you beat me to it kenny... :D

You gotta wake up pretty early in the morning to beat Kenny to the coffee. :lol:

Since all 3 have GIA reports and are priced at the same vendor, this is a particularly powerful example of the challenges of FCD shopping.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1334892963|3175855 said:
i thought this comparison shot was interesting to see...

the left is the 0.74 fancy yellowish green diamond...
the center is the 0.81 fancy green diamond...
the right is the 0.88 fancy blue green diamond...

When I look at FCD's, I always think about how they'll look surrounded by metal and a specific color of metal.

Yellow is a modifier that really brings down the price of a more expensive hue, like green, in FCD's. This may account for the huge price difference. It's still a lovely diamond, but I see a lot of yellow in comparison to the fancy green, and fancy blue/green. Fluorescence also plays a huge role IMO, and if the fluorescence impedes the strength of the green in sunlight, that may account for the huge price differential as well. I have seen fancy yellow greens, or greenish yellows, that once they hit sunlight, turned an almost surreal neon green. For me, that is what I would personally look for. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results