color
clarity

Keep or Return?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334876335|3175555 said:
webdiva|1334875355|3175536 said:
I would post on the colored stone forum, too! They have awesome knowledge!

With a caveat. They will tell you ALL the stone negatives. ALL OF THEM. And it might scare the crap out of you. But with colored stones they are just telling you all the issues, not saying that other comparable stones won't have the same ones. It's scary for people used to RT to get advice on CS. They don't mean to, but they can be very intense and kinda come off as very negative about any purchase except for top ones. Some of the posters don't seem to quality things with price-- like they don't think "is it good for the price"... they look at it as a absolute. It's like comparing each diamond to a D IF. If I listed all the issues with any other diamond a poster was considering it would sound scary and NO ONE would buy a J SI EVER, but once you understand how it works you'll realize that there are acceptable traits and unacceptable ones and that YOU are the only person ultimately that judges that.
i know what you mean, cuz one time i asked for advise about purchasing a natural emerald and they scare the S**T out of me... :bigsmile: i was looking for a natural emerald equal to G SI1 in diamond terms... :oops:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the update:

My jeweler looked at the ring under the scope and said that indeed they are emeralds (i.e. not glass) and that they have probably been treated in some way (heat, oil, etc.) She thought that it was a really good deal for what I paid (of course, considering she's comparing what I paid to full retail in the store...)....

I'm still not sure if I'm keeping it. I do love it, but I keep thinking about the $1K less that I have for an emerald cut. I have a few more days to decide. Here's a better hand shot for anyone interested.
hand%20shot%20emerald.jpg

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Lordy! I think it's gorgeous! I've been looking at emerald RHRs lately and this is one of the prettiest I've seen. Great score!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Snicklefritz. It may be available if I decide not to keep it! :twisted:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a gorgeous ring and not a bad price at all. You will not be able to get a pretty design like that else where - just think about how much it would cost if you had to go custom! I would definetly keep it if it was mine. Heck, I would even buy that ring off you for that price.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really beautiful. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful and very unique! :love: It's not like you'd ever be able to find another one like it, either.

That said, like you, I really have to focus on my priorities. I have bought a couple of smaller items and that money really could have been saved to go toward a more significant piece. I am trying hard to limit myself to heirloom-worthy things (within my budget constraints, obviously), so that would be my only qualm about keeping it, if it were my decision to make.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's really beautiful. I agree that you can also think about the design work itself. Usually in my mind I piecemeal things from eBay to determine their worth but I often forget to factor in worksmanship. While the emeralds and diamonds are one set of values, if you were to create that ring custom with a jeweler, it would be more than $999 just by itself! So if you love the ring itself, the design and would be looking for something like that in the future, and the emeralds are real and the diamonds are what they say then I think it's a fantastic 'value'. Good luck deciding!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not really helping, but....... I have a diamond and emerald 1/2 eternity in 18K and mine was $1000. Mine is easier to do price comparison and to me the price seemed fair. I love wearing it b/c people don't wear emeralds as much as other colored stones, and it always get compliments. Good luck!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful ring and you have your jewellers assessment that its of a decent quality.

Aside from the $1K less for your next project, would you want this ring regardless, if money were not an issue here? It appealed to you on a level to at least order it - does it still appeal enough to keep it? Would that $1K be made up elsewhere by selling something you don't love or wear as much anymore, or delayed by another few months? Would that be an option - delay or sell on Preloved, to be able to keep this and get your EC stone?

Hard to decide, isn't it? Good luck rumbling the ideas around - it is a beautiful band, not seen before in all the 'usual haunts'!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know she's gonna keep this ring.. :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dang you, DF...now I feel like I have to return the darn thing just to prove you wrong! :evil: I tried to negotiate on the price a bit, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still struggling to decide, but they have a 14 day return policy, so I have another week or so to decide.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1335222546|3178835 said:
Dang you, DF...now I feel like I have to return the darn thing just to prove you wrong! :evil: I tried to negotiate on the price a bit, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still struggling to decide, but they have a 14 day return policy, so I have another week or so to decide.
oh stop lying Yenny :!: ...we all know that you have already decided to keep this ring.. :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Touche :lol: ...though it really is sitting in the box, waiting for me to make up my mind.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1335222546|3178835 said:

Here are my thoughts. Recently, I have only been buying things for myself that I can recoup on. So if I KNOW I can resell at the price I paid, it's worth it to me. Because I KNOW if I change my mind I can always pass it along to another PSer who will love it without any loss on my part. IF however owning the piece means a loss, then not so much.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm, that's a really good way to look at it Gypsy.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like emeralds so I'm biased. The pros: the design and quality of the setting, and the emeralds look like a lovely color, relatively clear. I especially like the setting because the metal surrounds and basically provides a barrier to the emeralds being accidently dinged.

My only negative is that its a 4 stone ring, kind of neither here nor there. Its not a solitare, not a three stone. Anything 5 or more would would be getting into anniversary ring style which is also lovely but its in between those themes.

Tossing a coin, I would keep it if the number 4 has some kind of significance for you!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My criteria is even simpler than Gypsy or part gypsy --- its pUUUUUURdy and I LIKE IT! :loopy:

Its a beautiful ring, it fits, you can afford it now (ok, I remember about the extra $1K that was to be redirected.... ;)) ) and.... well... I like it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think it's pretty. The emeralds are clear and a pretty shade of green. I don't mind the four stone as it looks tailored to your hand. It also has good finger presence. I think you've done good:)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
I PREFER the 4 stone. Makes the middle little diamond stand out; a lot more interesting than a 3-stone; etc. It's absolutely GORGEOUS.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your input. At the risk of enduring having to tell DF he's right, I'm going to keep it for now, knowing that if I don't wear it much, I can always sell it. ;))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny thing, 3 and 5 stones are more commonly seen but I find that 4 stones fits so much better on a finger than 5 stones..! 5 always seems to be too wide for me. Though I do like odd #'s better somehow. Anyway glad you are keeping it!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad to hear you're leaning towards keeping it. It seems like a great price to me, especially considering you can barely get a thin eternity band nowadays for $1k. Besides, if you end up deciding to sell it, I know I would DEFINITELY be interested :wink2:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1335284625|3179457 said:
Thanks for your input. At the risk of enduring having to tell DF he's right, I'm going to keep it for now, knowing that if I don't wear it much, I can always sell it. ;))

Yippee!!!

And its not cuz DF told you to, its because I said it was purdy!!! :naughty: There you go - easy peasy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really - I think it is a beautiful ring on you and it is different from the more popular styles. Good plan - if you don't wear it/like it after a while, then it can always be sold.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Mara and stargurl!

Enerchi, thanks for giving me an easy way to "save face" with DF, lol! ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1335301277|3179692 said:
Thanks Mara and stargurl!

Enerchi, thanks for giving me an easy way to "save face" with DF, lol! ;))
I'm here to help, my friend :bigsmile:

Blame it on me!!! :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1335284625|3179457 said:
congrats,Yenny!
I knew that 3 days ago .. :!: :praise:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you're clairvoyant, can you tell me what lottery numbers to play?? :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1335312249|3179840 said:
Since you're clairvoyant, can you tell me what lottery numbers to play?? :lol:
women + jewelry are so predictable.. :praise: when women on PS ask the Q.. "should i keep or return?" IMO...95% of the time she had already made up her mind... :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Probably true! Guilty as charged...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results