shape
carat
color
clarity

Another try sugarloaf!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I seem to have difficulty to find a cab to match my other 2 sugarloaf stackers, as I am so picky about the color, size and shape! :sick:

I may have found a cab, a tanzanite cab which has a fancy free form cut and I am able to get it recut to a sugarloaf. Before I commit, I would like to hear your opinions whether it would go with my other 2, as you guys have such great knowledge about colored gemstones and tastes! :appl:

Thanks in advance!

primagems.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post a photo of what you already have?

I thought tanzanites were fairly risky in rings. Are they safer as a cabochon instead of faceted? Or is it still a more cautionary stone no matter what cut?

Do you have a preference for what metal you'll be setting the stone in?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color-wise I like it, but from the pic the Tanz cab looks flatter than the 2 sugarloaves you already have - I don't see how a re-cut could result in a high apex like your other 2, but maybe the pics aren't to scale or you're okay with the Tanz being proportionately smaller in size?

eta: Tsavs are Mohs 7-7.5, and Tanz are Mohs 6.5-7 - so the Tanz is softer than your Tsav... for me, I would already be babying the Tsav so also babying the Tanz would be okay for me only if the stone was perfect color- and cut-wise for the stacking set.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice sugarloaf rings you have there, Megeve!

I see that the blue/purple would look stunning in your mix. Jewel tones would really pack a punch - that would be very striking.

What about garnets tho? I don't know enough about how they are cut (we shall wait for the experts to chime in!) but would you consider either a softer pink or mint green in that mix, just because they are a hardier stone? Or a moon stone? an Aquamarine? blah blah blah - this is your set, sorry for the rambling thoughts!!

I'm sure you've gone thru a bazillion options, I'm just hung up on the tanzanite being of concern, especially when cut with a high dome in the cabochon/sugarloaf style. If it were me, that baby would be bumped all the time! I try... I do... but I must be pretty spatially challenged some days!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
marymm|1334441562|3171127 said:
Color-wise I like it, but from the pic the Tanz cab looks flatter than the 2 sugarloaves you already have - I don't see how a re-cut could result in a high apex like your other 2, but maybe the pics aren't to scale or you're okay with the Tanz being proportionately smaller in size?

eta: Tsavs are Mohs 7-7.5, and Tanz are Mohs 6.5-7 - so the Tanz is softer than your Tsav... for me, I would already be babying the Tsav so also babying the Tanz would be okay for me only if the stone was perfect color- and cut-wise for the stacking set.

Tanzanite is not only a softer stone but it also has perfect cleavage, which means that a well place blow can simply break it in two. It does require extra care.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The color is great with your other 2 beauties. The experts will tell us whether the tanzanite can be re-cut in a sugarloaf, but if the pics are proportional, it does look kind of flat for the high crown it would need to acquire. Wearing the stackers on your middle finger should give them a bit of protection -- are you easy on rings?

Anyway, the combination of those 3 colors makes me want to sing!

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Megeve, it's great to see that you're still on the hunt. The tanz has wonderful color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve I love the Tanzanite you've posted but I'm not sure how it will compliment the other two. The cut is very different with the Tanzanite being quite low and shallow while the other two are traditional sugarloafs. So it will either work very well as a contrast or unfortunately it may be too different. Don't worry about the hardness or how durable it will be because clearly you love the colour and you know how to look after it which is the most important issue. Is there any chance you can get it to look and evaluate against the others?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for chiming in!

This tanz cab is not flat but huge around 11.xxcts and has a height of 7.0mm. Vendor told me that its no problem to recut it to a tranditional sugarloaf. All I need to do is to give him the dimension I want which I am still deliberating.

LD, I have seen this stone which has a vivid saturation, medium blue and has a superb transparency just like my spinel and tsav. Unfortunately, I didn't have the spinel and tsav with me when I looked at this stone. Now I am back in Spain, stone is in NY. Pic is taken by my iphone. So it was taken at an angle which showed it to be flat but it isnt, I was concentrating of getting the color right and not the size! :twirl:

I have no problem with babying this tanz as I baby all my other rings anyway. I wear my rings when I go out of the house and take them off when Im home. My main priorities are the color whether it would match the other 2 stackers and it could be set in WG.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based on colour alone, I think that would be a striking addition to your other 2 sugarloafs! I love the jewel tone combos!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious; wouldn't a cabbed stone hold up better than a faceted stone? So even with perfect cleavage, since a sugarloaf doesn't have any pointer corners to bang on, I expect the tanzanite to do fairly well as a ring stone.

How much carat weight loss is expected? What about mm loss? How will it affect the colour that you see now?

In terms of colour though, it is dreamy and a perfect fit with the other two.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the positive feedbacks to the color of this tanz! I am also of your opinion Chrono that a cab tanz should be more durable that a faceted one. Therefore, I have decided to order it but still mulling over the dimension I want it to be.

Chrono, the dimension of this freeform cab is 13.7x12.2x7mm, so there will probably be quite abit mm loss! But considering that its been more than 2 yrs for the search and the difficulty to find any sugarloaf cut stone with good saturation, I have to take this route.

I am not sure whether it would affect color after recut, but vendor assured me that it should look the same. Have to trust my vendor! :errrr:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be a tanzanite? I bet you can find a nice sugarloaf amethyst that would look nice with the others.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve - why recut? Couldn't you love it as it is? It would be less risky and it's certainly a very lovely stone NOW!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't Sarahbear have those gorgeous sugarloaf stackers including a tanzi? She probably would have some good feedback regarding her experience with the tanzanite...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and BTW, I love the clarity and saturation on those cabs. They look good enough to eat!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1334686415|3173381 said:
Does it have to be a tanzanite? I bet you can find a nice sugarloaf amethyst that would look nice with the others.

No It doesn't need to be a tanzanite. But I wanted a the 3rd stacker to be in white gold. Thus I have been trying to get a blue sapphire cab for the last 2 years, but it was in vain as sapphire cab is mostly shallow and opaque or translucent but not transparent enough to match my other 2. I haven't found any amethyst sugarloaf with vivid saturation yet.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1334687015|3173392 said:
Megeve - why recut? Couldn't you love it as it is? It would be less risky and it's certainly a very lovely stone NOW!

No, I don't love the freeform shape as it is right now. Imagine a rectangular stone with both shorter ends slanting. As you mentioned in a few post before, it is too shallow to match BUT if I get it recut to a sugarloaf shape, it will have a more traditional form with 6.5mm depth to match the other 2! Vendor is taking this risk and will get it recut with no extra charge! :bigsmile:

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1334687180|3173396 said:
Doesn't Sarahbear have those gorgeous sugarloaf stackers including a tanzi? She probably would have some good feedback regarding her experience with the tanzanite...

Thank you minousbijoux! Aren't they looking dreamy together? I am anxious to get this search behind me and move forward for other gems! :cheeky:

I am not sure about Sarahbear but I think Burberrygirl has a tanzi cab! Hope she will chime in! But I haven't seen her around for awhile!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
megeve|1334692244|3173489 said:
innerkitten|1334686415|3173381 said:

No It doesn't need to be a tanzanite. But I wanted a the 3rd stacker to be in white gold. Thus I have been trying to get a blue sapphire cab for the last 2 years, but it was in vain as sapphire cab is mostly shallow and opaque or translucent but not transparent enough to match my other 2. I haven't found any amethyst sugarloaf with vivid saturation yet.

You might find one thats vivid enough if you look around. I've noticed asjgems has had some blue sapphire cabochons.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I'm late to the party, but I just wanna chime in and say that I love the colour combo as well, all three colours are individually beautiful, and together, they are bold and daring.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I puffy heart love love love your sugar loafs/ and rings!!! I really want a large sugarloaf tanzanite for a RHR in Yellow gold. Havne't found anything that is remotely nice as yours! I'm so jealous!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops! I think I attributed something to you, Sarahbear, that wasn't yours...

I was talking about these cab stackers someone else (I've obviously forgotten who) had - I love them and one was a tanzanite:

sugarloaf stackers .jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results