carat
color
clarity

Need a little education and clarification, please

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear PS CSers,

The answer to this may be obvious, but... um... I don't know it. I saw this beautiful picture provided as an example of sapphire rough and finished product in the sapphire threads a couple times (sorry I didn't make a note of who posted it, very unacademic of me :oops: ). My question is -- did that cut stone come from that rough? (I know they're next to each other on the pic, but i thought maybe it's photoshop...) Or could a sapphire like that come out of rough with so much color zoning?

I'm trying to make a powerpoint presentation for my mom about colored stones, and want to include this pic. Naturally, questions will arise and I want to be prepared to give an educated answer ;-)

On an unrelated topic, is anyone going to the intergem show in Maryland this weekend? Maybe I should start a new thread on that...

sapphire_specimen_cut.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No, it was just a great example of a near perfect sapphire crystal in terms of describing the general appearance. The cut stone will have come fromeither a crystal or a chunk of crystal (possibly an alluvial pebble) with deeper colour and more saturation.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the reply Pandora. I had a feeling it looked too good to be true. Well, it still makes for a beautiful picture of a stunning sapphire!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results