shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone in Australia bought loose gemstones from USA

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Has anyone in Australia had any experience buying loose gemstones from USA? Does USPS (US postal system) have regulations regarding sending loose gem stone items to Australia? Or it is only from certain states in the US?

I bought a loose stone from Gemfix.com and it seems my parcel was turned back because the description on parcel was stated as loose stone and USPS can't send loose stones to Australia.

I checked with Australian customs and I have been informed that there is no regulation in Australia that rejects loose stone on entry. I've bought 1 loose stone before from USA and didn't have this problem.

Laura from Gemfix has been very helpful and has sent the parcel again but this time labelled as jewellery.

Has anyone had similar experience purchasing gemstones from USA?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the Aussie posters are no longer active on the forum but I think one or two still pop in occasionally. I have not heard of such regulations before from either the US side nor the Australian side. As far as I know, gemstones are allowed to enter and leave the US via whatever carrier as long as it isn't an embargo-ed item like a ruby from Myanmar.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Hi Icy Melona,

I'm in NSW and have made several purchases from the States with no problems except for slow processing through customs - however, I've noticed tremendous inconsistency on the part of Aussie customs and Australia Post. They don't lose anything, but everyone seems to have their own interpretation of regulations, which occasionally results in delays. The only thing I can think of that might've held this one up is if the 'loose stone' was interpreted by customs as being a regular rock, which might have dirt on it and violate quarantine rules... but I've received parcels labeled stone, mineral sample, etc. without issues.

Hope it works out better this time around!

Cheers,

C

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Hi Icy,

I live in Sydney and my last purchase was sent via Fedex so I didn't have any issues and turnaround time was only a couple of business days. I do know from reading other threads that some posters have issues with USPS from within the US itself so perhaps your parcel was rejected by USPS rather than AQIS.

Keep us updated though coz my current project is going to be shipped by USPS once it's complete and I'm most definitely interested to hear how long it takes for the parcel to get to you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following up on what Chrono said, there have been other Aussie posters and IIRC, there have been other posts and threads on topics related to this. You might want to do a search above, using terms like "Australia," "customs," "duty," etc. I have a vague recollection that someone was having trouble getting stones sent the other way, from Bespoke Gems to the U.S. There may be something to be gleaned from that thread only I don't remember when it was :confused:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've received loose stones in Perth with no issues - originating from the States, Tanz, Israel. I've never had an issue, but think they've been labelled as loose GEMstones. Perhaps it is an issue with "dirt" and quarantine. All you can do is try again. :bigsmile:

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
In the past I have ordered and received a number of loose stones from the USA and never had any issues with USPS or Aust customs, although I think they were identified as a gemstone or mineral specimen. I hope your package arrives safely.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
No issues, except if it's over 1000 then you'll need to fill in paper work and pay 10 % GST, loose gems doesn't attract the 5% duty.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Loose stones are much easier to clear any customs office when called 'mineral specimens' and the value is declared low. (30% tax coming into Thailand.) Best regards, Lee

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Icy, I'm on the surf coast, south of Melbourne, and I've purchased loose stone from the US with no issues at all! Very odd.

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. It was very reassuring. :)

I did speak with Laura and it turns out that it is the US side that rejected shipment. Laura kindly sent me a link to USPS policy online and it seems that USPS Express Mail doesn't carry insurance for loose gemstones but USPS Priority Mail does. Which explains why Gemfix is resending shipment via USPS Priority Mail.

However, I didn't read any details prohibiting the usuage of the description "loose gemstones" on either Express Mail or Priority Mail so I am guessing that USPS staff didn't explain it correctly to Laura. Never mind. I spoke with Customs because I didn't want to pay the unnecessary 5% duty on the stone and the customs officer advised that so long as I have an invoice with the description of the good, that is all they process, not what is written on the parcel description. So hopefully, when the stone arrives I will just pay the GST and not the duty.

Unfortunately, I am the first of Gemfix customers that have had their parcel rerouted back to them. What bad luck, huh? :lol:
But so long as it gets here, I'm gonna be happy and even happier once I see the stone in person. :) Fingers Crossed that all goes smoothly.

Thank you again for your help!

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Can I also ask fellow Aussies which gem vendor/s in USA they liked dealing with? Thanks again!

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi Icy :)

I have bought most of my stones from USA. I have never had one turned back, but i can't remember what was written on the packet

Fingers crossed that it gets to you this time!!!

Most of stones have been bought from Dana at Mastercut gems http://www.mastercutgems.com/.... He is great to deal with and good with postage. It usually takes about a month to get to me, but i live very remote in WA

I have also bought from precision gems http://www.precisiongem.com/ He also took about a month. Though it can take 2-3 weeks to get stuff posted from within Oz!!!

melave

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add, i can't wait to see pictures of your stone!!! :)

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Hi Melave,

thanks for your reply. I will definitely post pictures when it arrives.

Incidentally, how long did you find it took for USPS priority mail to arrive in Australia? Mine was sent on the 9th April but I haven't received it yet. It's already the 18th and now I am getting abit anxious! I don't recall my USPS parcels ever arriving later than a week.

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Hi Melave,

thanks for your reply. I will definitely post pictures when it arrives.

Incidentally, how long did you find it took for USPS priority mail to arrive in Australia? Mine was sent on the 9th April but I haven't received it yet. It's already the 18th and now I am getting abit anxious! I don't recall my USPS parcels ever arriving later than a week.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
I sent some stuff to a buyer in Aus. back in December. It was labelled as "faceted stone:amethyst" and "mineral specimen:amethyst" I ended up having to call a number here in the US to track the parcels down as they hadn't shown up after 3 weeks, despite being sent Priority International (which, as I recall, is how they must be shipped into Aus mail system according to their website, could be wrong though). Long story short, is was more than 30 days from the day I shipped the stuff to the time it was finally delivered. Try to be patient.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Icy

It has been awhile since I have ordered stones, but I would not worry about it only having been 9 days, if I recall, my stones usually took in the vicinity of 2 weeks and once took closer to 4 (but on that occassion went via Mexico for some inexplicable reason - but the package arrived safely in the end). I don't think I ever had a package arrive within 9 days (even though it is 'priority'). Hope that helps.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Here is the original thread I was referring to in my previous post [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/usps-lost-my-package-that-was-to-be-mailed-to-sk.173492/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/usps-lost-my-package-that-was-to-be-mailed-to-sk.173492/[/URL]

The gist I got from it was that Priority doesn't actually guarantee expedited shipping, just a safer way of shipping. Incidentally, does anyone know if priority international parcels can be tracked like Fedex/UPS?

melave

Shiny_Rock
HI all

Sorry only a quick one as i am on lunch.

Mine usually take 4 weeks. Sometimes i may be lucky and get them in 3 but most of the time 4. I live in remote WA so it does take a bit longer to get here

My jeweller in USA could send my jewellery i got made via usps global express last year and it got here in 10 days!!! it was done via fedex apparently. But this time she hasn't be able to ( looks like there has been some rule changes) so the only way i know of now with usps is by priority international. If someone can tell me another way, please let me know!!!

Icy i would wait another 2 weeks or so until i start panicking. If you are on the east coast you may get it quicker. I know the carrier pidgeons to where i live take a little while :)

Snoopkat all the parcels i have gotten priority have very minimal tracking. Usually by the time it updates to say it has left the USA i have received it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results