shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-ring manicures

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
Hey ladies - two fingernail threads in a row!

I've started to think that there may be something to the 'field of dreams' theory of manicures....if you paint them, the ring will come...

Question for you all: What color/style of manicure best highlights a new and sparkly ring? I have very fair skin, and I'm thinking that might make a difference.

Please post your thoughts and PICTURES on pre-ring nail treatment!

SS

lktx

Shiny_Rock
No pictures at the moment, but I'm a big fan of Essie's Ballet Slippers. I think it goes well with my very pale skin. It looks polished and put-together, and it wouldn't compete with the e-ring.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
As a big nail polish enthusiast, I have to say I don't know what color I would pick for my pre-ring mani!! I also have so many colors, which is part of the problem hehe. I do like the accent nail trend, so I would at the very least put a glittery topcoat on my ring finger so that it stands out even more! Guess it all really depends on your personality...are you classic or more spunky? Reserved or spontaneous?

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
pandabee|1334532335|3171876 said:
Guess it all really depends on your personality...are you classic or more spunky? Reserved or spontaneous?

Hmm...I think I would describe myself as classic to a fault! :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Can never go wrong with a french manicure! White tips on a very faint pink.

Or agreed, a pale pink color that will be subtle, beautiful, and very feminine!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
audball|1334533515|3171900 said:
Can never go wrong with a french manicure! White tips on a very faint pink.

Or agreed, a pale pink color that will be subtle, beautiful, and very feminine!

Totally classic!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I think so! ;-)

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
You so read my mind! I was going to post a thread on this on which color polish to choose! I've even thought that I love taupes and browns but will the diamond reflect off that and look yellow?! :lol: I think I'm just gonna keep doing subtle ie pink, light colors. Although I just cut all of my nails off because I broke two so I could go dark right now but I dont want dark nails with a new ring. Decisions decisions!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a huge fan of the "original" nail colors: light pink, beige, taupe, dusty rose, burgundy, and deep red. I like glitter, too, so if I feel "funky", I add glitter. But I think the best "pre-ring manicure" is just short, filed straight with rounded edges, painted in a near-skin color shade. Plain. Very plain. Nothing that catches the eye. Just clean looking. I'd want ALLLLLLLL EYES on the bling!

I have a UV lamp and a collection of Harmony Gelish colors. I love the gel manicures because I don't have to worry about accidentally chipping a few fingers and looking like I have "hooker hands" until at the very least, 5 days later. It's a great investment, since Gel Manicures at salons around here charge $30 for a simple, mono-color paint job.

I totally get what you mean about obsessing over the perfect nails for a proposal, though. I was in that hype, and was always making sure my nails were perfect. But after never getting a ring, I got lazy and gave up on it. I told SO that I'm too lazy to paint my nails so he's just going to have to figure out a way of getting me to get a manicure without ruining the surprise. :devil:

Maybe I'll just have to carry around a set of press on nails for when I think the time might be close, LOL! Immediately after proposal, "HOLD ON HONEY, I GOTTA PUT MY NAILS ON! NO PICTURES YET! HOLD ON!!!"

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
I love OPI's Otherwise Engaged which is a light pink. Plus the name couldn't hurt :Up_to_something:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
A good French tip is always classic and beautiful with any ring!!! If I had to pick a pink color (I'm not typically a pink girl) it would be A England Iseult (pale pink with a faint but subtle shimmer) or OPI Bubble Bath. Still can't attach images but you can google those pretty easily. Otherwise Engaged is perfectly appropriate and a great neutral too!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1334551108|3172122 said:
Maybe I'll just have to carry around a set of press on nails for when I think the time might be close, LOL! Immediately after proposal, "HOLD ON HONEY, I GOTTA PUT MY NAILS ON! NO PICTURES YET! HOLD ON!!!"
HAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I had french tips for my pre ring manicure and it looked classic without taking anything away from the ring. I'm quite clumsy by nature and it's not unusual for me to chip my polish even before I left the salon, so I'm a huge fan of shellac coz I can cook and do household chores and my manicure will still look perfect for up to 2 weeks.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I am loving some of the color recommendations!!

I've tried Shellac a few times. I'm not sure if it's my nails or the salon, but they didn't work super well for me. After about 3 manicures (at $30+ each), I stopped trying. The paint would lift or chip within 5 days, not the advertised 2 weeks. I could get a $10 regular manicure that if i'm as careful with can last 4-5 days so meh.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
MAdelise--I do mine at home too! I'm hooked on gelish as well! I love it! I can't get a reg mani to last a few hours let alone a few days!

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
I've actually been thinking about Gelish - trying to decide which one!

What do ya'll think about Light Elegant?

SS

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i have the best nail tech ever. She is just phenomenal. I found her when i went to a hairdresser everyone at work suggested. I never clicked with the hairdresser, but i just love my Jamie! (nail tech). With that being said i get gel manicures every 2 weeks. I love modified french manicures...glitter tips, leopard print tips, zebra prints...LOL But i think whatever your natural style, that should be what you get for a manicure pre ring. Currently i have tiffany blue tips with a shimmer all over! My nail tech has my FF educated so that if he is to propose, he is to call her first so she can make up some lie and move up my appt to get a nice mani before he proposes haha!

I am a true glitter girl though. I love shimmer, and glitter.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the second post but i notice the gel manicure issues here. This is how my nail tech described it to me.

First off you need the proper tech applying it to last. Most people put it on way too thick and it will chip and lift. Personally, after 2 weeks my nails look excellent with absolutely NO chipping. I just have some space where the nail grew in. My nail tech uses Gelish, CND Shellac and Axxium by OPI. Axxium is thicker than the other two so she only uses it to mix glitter. (yes she has a whole case full of loose glitters that she can do whatever your heart desires!) I believe the gel top coat is CND Shellac. So i usually have 3-4 coats of gel on my nails, it is not thick and does not chip.

I also don't know if you ladies knew this, but you can actually put gel over regular nail polish too. My tips are china glaze "aquadelic" and then there is shimmer gel over it and top coat and it has not chipped one bit.

It really is harder to apply than just throwing it on and then putting it under a lamp. I'm sorry your manis haven't lasted long with the gel. :(

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Well I don't think I'm going to know exactly when it's coming, but if I do I plan on wearing Essie's Adore-a-Ball. It's an ohsopretty pale pink color that is basically sheer with only one coat, but with two coats just looks so feminine and classy while remaining discreet. I have a picture of it on my nails! This is from when I posted pictures of my Cartier rolling ring:

file.jpg

ETA--oh, and I LOVE gel manicures!! I got my first one in Feb when I went on a 10-day trip to the Caribbean, and it lasted the entire trip which included a TON of time spent in the ocean. Got another one about a month ago in preparation for my birthday extravaganza that I stretched out to two weeks, and it lasted the whole time as well. They're great!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I wish I were more coordinated with my non dominant hand to do self manicures. I'd have my nails done all.the.time if I could do them WELL myself. I had them done for awhile but it's just so pricey to keep up with I eventually went back to natural. Makes me sad...some of these colors are awesome!

I'm anticipating a December proposal, so I'll probably start back on the manicure train from mid November on...just.in.case. :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1334610091|3172673 said:
Well I don't think I'm going to know exactly when it's coming, but if I do I plan on wearing Essie's Adore-a-Ball. It's an ohsopretty pale pink color that is basically sheer with only one coat, but with two coats just looks so feminine and classy while remaining discreet. I have a picture of it on my nails! This is from when I posted pictures of my Cartier rolling ring:

file.jpg

ETA--oh, and I LOVE gel manicures!! I got my first one in Feb when I went on a 10-day trip to the Caribbean, and it lasted the entire trip which included a TON of time spent in the ocean. Got another one about a month ago in preparation for my birthday extravaganza that I stretched out to two weeks, and it lasted the whole time as well. They're great!

Oh I'm so glad you posted Star sparkle! Your's was the nail colour I was trying to find and recommend :D I could see the photo but couldn't remember what the ring was or where it was.... woo hoo! and here you are! :appl: Love your nails and your hands!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I had just gotten a manicure on the day FI proposed. It is a very Stacy look and I wasn't expecting the proposal, but I like how it looked! :)

my ring.jpg

recent mani.jpg

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I found a better hand shot, although it may be blurry from the cell phone pic!

my ring 2.jpg

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I found a better hand shot, although it may be blurry from the cell phone pic!

my ring 2.jpg

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
I had my nails done the day before I was proposed to JUST in case :naughty: I do have to say that I got just as many "p.s. your nails look great!" on facebook when I uploaded pics as I got compliments on the ring, lol! It's a gel nail polish color by Harmony brand nail polish. It's a sparkly pink that everyone i've recommended it to loves!

photo-16_0.jpg

photo-15.jpg

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
A really good reg polish color is OPI "princesses rule" I loveeee it. It's like a pale ballet pink color with a tiny bit of shimmer!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1334620363|3172862 said:
Oh I'm so glad you posted Star sparkle! Your's was the nail colour I was trying to find and recommend :D I could see the photo but couldn't remember what the ring was or where it was.... woo hoo! and here you are! :appl: Love your nails and your hands!

Thanks, Enerchi! :wavey: I just luuuurve that color! I've got another one that I think is a good color for photographing rings (and that there are pics of floating around on PS), but I don't want to hog the thread too much. It's OPI's "Don't Feed the Hand Model."

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
RebeccaMUA|1334693229|3173507 said:
It's a gel nail polish color by Harmony brand nail polish. It's a sparkly pink that everyone i've recommended it to loves!

Lovely! Which Harmony color is it?

Thanks - I'm loving all these pictures!

SS

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get gelish, but with OPI "bubble bath" pigment. I've had bad experiences with lifting too: you gotta get a good tech! If they put it on too thick or even a little bit on your skin, it's not gonna take.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results