shape
carat
color
clarity

Saw the MOST amazing thing ever today....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The STL people will know the landmarks...

I was driving to pick up cupcakes at Jillys for my friend's baby shower, and as I am driving up 270, every overpass from 55 to 40 (didnt go beyond 40 til 170) had firetrucks, police cars and ambulii with lights and sirens on, and huge American flags hanging from their ladder lifts. I kept saying to myself WTF is going on??? The president would not be on 270 if he was in town, besides it being totally closed when he's here anyway... But as I progressed up towards Big Bend and Dougherty Ferry, all along the sides of south bound, on the side of the highway and offramps and some along on ramps on north bound, people of all ages and a lot of older men in uniform, saluting in the pouring down rain for the military funeral procession led by 5 hwy patrol cars in a staggered formation, then a million motorcycles all with flags on them, then the hearse, and there were two semis in the far left and two in the far left lanes south bound with flags on the sides of the trailers back by the hearse.

I actually cried the ugly sobbing cry in my car as I passed it. I think everyone on 40 probably thought I was a crazy sobbing person...but wow. I wish I had taken pics or video. My mother in law had told us about it a few months ago when she was in town, and I have never seen it before but I know it's "commonish" here, as we have J.B. national cemetery and any time word gets around about a fallen soldier, the motorcycle community makes it happen as does the law enforcement sector.

I love it. I wish EVERY returning soldier got it, even if they were alive, they wouldn't obviously be in a hearse. It actually pisses me off that they don't in fact.

Either way...I am STILL getting verklempt and that was at like 1130am.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very moving, just reading about it. How wonderful to have such a patriotic display for a final procession.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
That does sound amazing. I would have cried too.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy that there was such turn out of support and concern as they lay that soldier to rest. I completely understand why you were crying, military funerals are very moving. I am not sure how my husband stays stoic when he is assigned to military funeral duty, I would be a mess.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so very sad to lose a soldier but how nice to have so much caring and support from his community.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh jeez that made me cry just reading it. Our community lost a soldier about 6 years ago, our first since Vietnam, and we participated in the roadside..I don't know what it would be called..all the neighboring towns had their emergency vehicles lined up as well, and even the nursing homes had their transport vans full of residents. I wish there was more attention paid to all returning soldiers as well. All gave some, some gave all seems to have lost its meaning.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
We have the same thing here in the UK in a place called Wootton Bassett - now Royal Wooton Basset - all organised by the local people and motorcyclists. Repatriation has now moved to another part of the country and I'm not sure if it still happens. I watched a very moving documentary about it - the families definitely appreciated it and how they were looked after by everyone at such a sad time.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That sounds incredible! So sad I missed it - didn't drive 270 at all over the weekend :nono: Thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results