shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the AVERAGE price of wine you drink in your home?

What's the AVERAGE price of your home-consumed wine?

• $2 and under

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2 to 5

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 5 to 10

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • 10 to 20

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • 20 to 30

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • 30 to 40

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 40 to 50

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 50 to 75

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 75 to 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the AVERAGE price that you pay for the standard-sized 750 ML bottle, in US Dollars.
This is only the wine that you and family members who live in your home drink yourselves at home.

Not what you'd buy for guests
Not what you'd buy for a party
Not what you'd give as a gift

Not a restaurant price, which I think is about double the price you pay for wine you drink at home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
think my wife drinks the $5 bottles... :confused: i don't drink wine.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
$20-$30. We drink plenty of $15 bottles, but we also are members of a couple of wine clubs and those are more expensive.

We haven't found much we like under $10, but we are always trying new things in the hopes of finding something for weekday dinners.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Fun question, Kenny. I'm a cheap date when it comes to wine and can suck down a whole bottle by myself, so I stick to the $5-$10 range. Beer is another story however...

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
For our "everyday" wine, we are typically around $9 -10 /bottle. However Safeway always has great sales and we usually get 6 bottles at a time which gives us the extra 10% off and helps keep it in the under $10 category.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey AG! :wavey: Nice to see you!

Mine are anywhere from $4 to $10, though I'd say the average glass of evening wine comes from a $5-ish bottle. I get a lot of great bargains at a grocery outlet store, but I every now and then I splurge and get $10 and less bargains by the case at local wineries.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
You have wine for under $2 in the US? :shock:

We tend to buy bottles straight from the cellar when we go down to Margaret River and stock up for the season ahead. This summer the bottles worked out to be around $15-$20 each with some sparkling varieties costing a little more. It works out cheaper than buying a bottle here and there from the local liquor store.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm too lazy to convert it to USD, but we spend between £10 and £15 on a bottle of wine. That said, the store in our village sells a lot of £20 bottles for £5 on bargain day, and DH is the wine expert in our house, so he stocks up then. He's pretty good at finding something really nice for not a lot of cash.

Now I think about it, I'm too lazy to calculate the average, either. I have bronchitis and an impacted wisdom tooth (and I'm in serious 'poor me' mode). I am too sick to want a glass of wine. It's bad... :knockout:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't drink. I can't even finish a glass of champagne on New Year's. I don't have any idea what wine costs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on if we are talking for DH or for me. For me average is 5 bucks recently cause I'm addicted to this (probably considered crap by others) sparkling muscat wine from TJ's and that's all I've been drinking. But we do belong to a wine club that sends us wine and that's good stuff-- but out of a bottle I drink like 1/2 glass and leave the rest for DH and whatever is left over is for cooking. We always have lovely cooking wine options as a result though.

T-gal if you like Zinfandels try Rosenblum if you haven't.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around £8-10 per bottle which converts to $13-$16.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Same, HOT - Margs is great for stocking up! :naughty: I'd say our norm is around $20, so that puts me right at a cutoff - I voted a level down because I try to buy when it's on sale, or in bulk. :praise:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy. Is that jacob's Creek muscat by any chance? We found that in Publix last year during a trip to Florida and just loved it! Very pleasing taste and light to go with balcony sipping!

texaskj|1334378912|3170726 said:
Fun question, Kenny. I'm a cheap date when it comes to wine and can suck down a whole bottle by myself, so I stick to the $5-$10 range. Beer is another story however...

Wine DOES go down so easy!

I'd say I like the $20 range- more $$ if I know it's something I like.
I actually have cut back on drinking though. I prefer water and find that it's easy for me to go from "one drink at dinner" to "party time!!!!"

lol

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely drink..when we have our yearly party, I may have one beer or glass of wine that my brother and his wife bring. They drink um..something w/a foot on the bottle. A green foot or blue foot I think, and I don't remember what it costs. $10?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1334408927|3170840 said:
I rarely drink..when we have our yearly party, I may have one beer or glass of wine that my brother and his wife bring. They drink um..something w/a foot on the bottle. A green foot or blue foot I think, and I don't remember what it costs. $10?

"Barefoot" is the brand - and they colour code their wines - yellow = chardonnay, blue = pinot grigio, etc.. Here in Ontario, it is $9.95 at the LCBO and they aren't bad!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the exception of the few whites I've found at TJ's for about five bucks and the occassional $10 red, I tend to be in the $15-25ish range at home. (Although according to that crazy website I messed around with half the night I apparently HAVE some very expensive wine at home... whether I can bring myself to actually drink it or not is a whole 'nother story!)

It just KILLS me BTW to go out to a restaurant and see a bottle that I drink at home that I've paid $20 for on a menu for as much as $80!!! FOUR TIMES? Really??? Ack.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Mostly the $11-15 range with some closer to $19-20. We drink more red, one of our favorites is 14 Hands, a merlot from Washington state.

I don't know WHY but I really thought PS would have a higher price point average. =)

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Since moving to the DC area, we have really become very acquainted with Virginia wines -- especially the Viognier and the Vidal Blanc from various Virginia wineries. Oh my! I'm definitely not a wine person, but I can easily drink those two! One of our favorite Virginia wine brands is Barboursville, which by the way, is what was served to the Queen when she visited! Ha! Another good one is "Cow" from Bluemont winery. They name all their wines after farm animals.

~LC

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fun! I am not very adventuresome with wines so we buy mostly from a local vineyard that we have tried most of them, they have some great fruit wines, the cranberry and the rubarb are TDF and a most excellent rasberry, with a handfull of dove chocolates... nomnomnom they run about 11 to 15 bucks a bottle with a couple bucks less if you buy a case.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically, we don't drink wine or alcohol. Or almost never. My DH has collected a lot of nice wines though, so our average price is very high (40-50) and we have a wine closet in the basement that is reasonably full. The greatest sacrilege is that we often just use the wine for cooking. ;( Other than that, the wine is for gifting, which we do often. I really should just go buy a bunch of cooking wine, it would be much more economical. I just don't know what to buy. DH is an expert.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1334384653|3170739 said:
Hey AG! :wavey: Nice to see you!

Mine are anywhere from $4 to $10, though I'd say the average glass of evening wine comes from a $5-ish bottle. I get a lot of great bargains at a grocery outlet store, but I every now and then I splurge and get $10 and less bargains by the case at local wineries.

Nice to see you too VR!!!! Hope all is well with you! We need to do another GTG one of these days :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean|1334412738|3170863 said:
I don't know WHY but I really thought PS would have a higher price point average. =)
Me too.
Notice there are zero votes for the 3 choices over $50 ... so far with 38 votes in.
But we already have a nice statistically-significant bell curve peaking around $13.
I believe that means regardless of how many votes we get the peak will not change much.

I guess we're broke after all these diamonds. ;(

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1334418513|3170903 said:
bean|1334412738|3170863 said:
Me too.
Notice there are zero votes for the 3 choices over $50 ... so far with 38 votes in.
But we already have a nice statistically-significant bell curve peaking around $13.
I believe that means regardless of how many votes we get the peak will not change much.

I guess we're broke after all these diamonds. ;(

I'm not surprised actually. A savvy shopper knows that expensive does not equal superior or better.

I buy special wine for special occasions. Those are the not so common varietals, like pinot gris or Tokaji. Those can run 40-60 a bottle.

But, when I just want to relax with a glass of wine, a 5-10 bottle is more than sufficient. I just bought a delicious sparkling moscat by Barefoot for $6, the taste of Asti Spumante at a third the price. Not exactly the same, but close enough.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
If we're talking retail price, I'd say anywhere between $20 and $50 depending on variety, usually averaging in the $30-$40 range. However, because I work in the wine industry, I don't actually pay that. I end up paying $15-35 for most of the wine I buy and I also take home a lot of free wine. The most expensive bottles in our cellar were around $90 or so retail.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1334410785|3170850 said:
packrat|1334408927|3170840 said:

"Barefoot" is the brand - and they colour code their wines - yellow = chardonnay, blue = pinot grigio, etc.. Here in Ontario, it is $9.95 at the LCBO and they aren't bad!

Oh haha that's right, Barefoot. Jeez. :rolleyes: that was an elusive name for me today.

What's mascato? Muscato? Is that a wine word or am I just randomly making up words today too?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334396197|3170774 said:
I'm addicted to this (probably considered crap by others) sparkling muscat wine from TJ's and that's all I've been drinking.

Now there's something I really did not need to know... TJ's carries a decent sparkling muscat??? I love muscat in the summertime. I have to be careful with it though because it goes down way, way too easy!

asscher_girl|1334418310|3170900 said:
We need to do another GTG one of these days :bigsmile:

That we do! I just learned of another PSer who lives in your neck of the woods - too... maybe she could be enticed to join us!

(sorry bout that Kenny! Back to your question...)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
$10-$45 really depending, but I think we PS-ers, being such astute shoppers, are buying $25 bottles for $15. At TJs I find myself rocking the Newton Claret, while at burgundywinecompany I go for the yummy nuits st georges.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I don't drink regular wine, but SO and I are huge sparkling wine fans. The stuff we buy to drink at home is generally in the $30-$40 range, though sometimes it's a bit higher. The wines we get through our wine club are generally $60-$100/bottle.

Yum, love me some sparkling wine!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results