shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my mom's GIA ex/ex H/VS2 cushion??

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Backtstory: When I was looking for my e-ring stone, there were two contenders. I chose one, and then bought the runner up for my mother as I always wanted to give her a diamond. This was 6 years ago.

A couple of weeks ago, she came over to give me all of her jewelry. She wanted to give it to me, vs having me pick over things once she's gone. I convinced her to wear at least the diamond I gave her, she agreed. However she came over again and said she wanted me to have it now.

So now I have this cushion, and I have no idea what I should do with it. It is somewhat sentimental in that I bought it to give to her and have video footage of me giving it to her, and blah blah blah. The setting was always meant to be temp so it's not sentimental. I told her I'd accept it if she considered it my 40th birthday gift and not buy me anything else.

I do not want to put it in a pendant. I don't want earrings (because I only have one of these and am not going to spend money on finding a match.) If I keep it, I want to be able to see the diamond, but I am currently working on a 3 stone OEC project for my right hand ring....so I don't really need another RHR.

Options are:

- Sell it. I'd most likely lose a bit of money on it. Maybe could sell for 4K? Thoughts? I'd give some of the money to my mom and use the rest to fund my RHR project.

- Keep it and spend money to do something with it and wear it with thoughts of my mom. Here's the leading candidate for what I'd do with it, if it's not cost prohibitive. http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-bracelets/diamond-solitaire-bangle-709.htm

I'm open to other ideas on what to do with it if I keep it.

Pics below with copy of GIA report. Sorry, I didn't really clean it well, so it's not looking perfect. ::)

gia cert.jpg

IMG_0884.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and this one was bought from Mark at ERD...the cushion king that he is. :))

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
I think you should keep stand do the bangle idea.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that is a really beautiful stone!! If you would wear the bracelet that gets my vote :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its gorgeous for its type and I think you could probably sell it easily. I'd consign it though, to save hassel and give assurance to buyers. Neatfreak recently sold her cushion from ERD that was 0.80ct for $3800 or thereabouts, so I think you could get a fair bit more if you wanted to.

And your mom is cracking me up bequething you everything now. Why is she planning and plotting her death? I hope she is not ill :blackeye:

The bangle is a cool idea, but would you wear it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just went to look at the thread about GOG's new modern cushion from this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhinos-new-modern-cushion-cut.173656/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhinos-new-modern-cushion-cut.173656/[/URL]

the cushion is at http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9296

I think this one looks a lot like that one. I know it's a color grade higher and a bit bigger...but over 8K.....? The table, depth on mine and the GOG branded one are pretty close.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333661461|3164415 said:
I think its gorgeous for its type and I think you could probably sell it easily. I'd consign it though, to save hassel and give assurance to buyers. Neatfreak recently sold her cushion from ERD that was 0.80ct for $3800 or thereabouts, so I think you could get a fair bit more if you wanted to.

And your mom is cracking me up bequething you everything now. Why is she planning and plotting her death? I hope she is not ill :blackeye:

The bangle is a cool idea, but would you wear it?

No, she's not sick...but she is just getting older. Honestly, the whole thing is kind of disconcerting. But I'll take what she's saying at face value...and take my mind off it with a project. ::)

Yes, I'd wear it....as of now, I have a wrist free, but that is the final frontier. Unless I start wearing multiple rings on each hand.

Where did she consign it?

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
My mom did the same thing kind of. Each birthday from about 40 onwards she gave me a piece of her collection. Some I liked, some not so much :Up_to_something: the stuff I did not like I either sold or gave to my daughter who did like it. She really enjoyed seeing me wear the stuff, I think that is your moms thinking too?
I looked at the bracelet, I like that! It is actually very pretty. Did you see BGD bezel set cushion bracelet? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-bracelets/cushion-bezel-bracelet-18k-white-gold-5491w18
I would milgrain the bezel!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elisateach|1333662536|3164438 said:
My mom did the same thing kind of. Each birthday from about 40 onwards she gave me a piece of her collection. Some I liked, some not so much :Up_to_something: the stuff I did not like I either sold or gave to my daughter who did like it. She really enjoyed seeing me wear the stuff, I think that is your moms thinking too?
I looked at the bracelet, I like that! It is actually very pretty. Did you see BGD bezel set cushion bracelet? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-bracelets/cushion-bezel-bracelet-18k-white-gold-5491w18
I would milgrain the bezel!!!

I did, but it might drive me crazy as I'd want the diamond to sit on top of my wrist and not flip flop all over the place...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would keep and give it Amelia at a later time. I bet she would treasure it as it was a gift to your mom :halo:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1333662868|3164444 said:
I would keep and give it Amelia at a later time. I bet she would treasure it as it was a gift to your mom :halo:

My mom specifically asked me not to hold it to give it to her. She wants me to either wear it or sell it. She gave me the ERD stud earrings back to give to Amelia. Not to mention this kid has tons of stuff coming to her later in life anyway.

ETA...I kind of find my first world problems of the last couple of months when it comes to diamonds a bit ridiculous...but it is what it is!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Any chance you'd make a bypass ring as your "new" wedding ring?

Husband ring--in a tension setting?

No diamond bangle.

Sell it.

Trade up/in for different loot--colored stone, tiara, etc. :saint: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1333663990|3164460 said:
HI:

Any chance you'd make a bypass ring as your "new" wedding ring?

Husband ring--in a tension setting?

No diamond bangle.

Sell it.

Trade up/in for different loot--colored stone, tiara, etc. :saint: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

LOL Sharon, you always crack me up. No, no bypass ring!

And give it to my husband? Hahaha....no!

If I sold it, it would go to the 3 stone project. The setting I want costs an arm and a leg. Pity, as I won't have any fingers to wear the damn thing.

It is a gorgeous stone. I've done searches to see what's out there and it's extremely tough to find comparable stones to figure out value. Cushions are so subjective in a lot of ways...this one is gorgeous to the eye and has the pedigree from GIA, to boot.

Damn it, but I meant for her to wear this until she went to greener pastures. I didn't think I'd get it back after only SIX years. ;(

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And she rarely ever wore the thing too. Next time, I'm buying her a ring from the candy machine. ;( :nono:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA...I kind of find my first world problems of the last couple of months when it comes to diamonds a bit ridiculous...but it is what it is![/quote]

Perhaps generosity is a "first world problem"--glad you own it. :))

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1333665315|3164476 said:
ETA...I kind of find my first world problems of the last couple of months when it comes to diamonds a bit ridiculous...but it is what it is!

Perhaps generosity is a "first world problem"--glad you own it. :))

cheers--Sharon[/quote]

Sharon, that is really a nice thing to say. Thank you. :))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF sold her diamond on the Bistro.

Mark can probably tell you the value of the diamond most easily.

Well, hopefully your mom will be around for a loong long time, but people handle aging in different and puzzling ways. If she wants to give it all away now, so be it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have a hard time selling it as well. It is a beautiful stone in a beautiful setting. I'm not keen on keeping jewelry pieces that I don't wear but this is somehow different. Of all the things that may be handed down to your daughter, this ring might just be the most special. Having been owned by your mother and now by you, what greater thing for her to end up with?

Your old thread brought back memories of many PSers that we don't see anymore - so sad!

I must say though that the gesture of giving your mother a diamond at the time you got engaged is really one of the most touching things I've heard. My own mother started giving me things too and while it absolutely freaked me out, it was many years before she passed. I came to believe that she just wanted to make sure that I ended up with the important stuff and I think the material things became less and less important to her as time went on. I think I understand it more today than I did at the time but I'm nowhere near ready to start forking over my stuff - ha!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! MGR..me neither!!! Give me another 20 years at least, I hope!

Pretty stone, TGal! If you aren't interested in saving it for A, then I'd just sell it. You bought it, your mom is giving it back, so if you don't want to use it, then I'd just sell it and use the money toward your ring project! It would be very different if your mom had bought the stone. Then it would be a little harder to sell it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark might be willing to buy it back or trade it in for you toward a setting for your 3 stone or something. Worth a call.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!

Dreamer and Gypsy, I've sent an email to Mark to see if he can give me some direction/options, thanks!

MGR, aw, thank you. It was such a beautiful stone though, I think it was just an excuse to buy both, hehehehe. I'm not overly attached to it...but I wouldn't mind keeping it. The problem is that it really is an almost identical twin, faceting wise to my e-ring. It performs the same, looks the same under the ideal scope, etc, but it does have a higher crown which I like. But generally there's really no novel feel about it - I just feel like I'm looking at a slightly smaller version of my e-ring stone. TGuy wants me to sell it and then I can get the setting I really want for my 3 stone. He's being very supportive, i.e., staying out of the way. :cheeky:

Christina, that is definitely pretty and totally my style, but I wear a butterfly Carrera y Carrera pendant and love it...I don't have any desire to wear anything else. It's almost my signature piece, and I don't see a small diamond pendant doing it for me, no matter how pretty (and the carrera has more sparkle factor anyway). But thank you!

Sharon, took this pic tonight and thought of you...don't think it works well as a bypass ring. :cheeky: The lightning is incandescent, hence the warmth. Also had to take a pic of my 1st world problem in its entirety. :rodent:

IMG_0896a.jpg

IMG_0901a.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, tell me your honest opinion (I won't be offended!) If I wear it in the meanwhile, I have to add something to it because it looks so engagementy. I don't have any stacking bands. The only other band I have is my Beaudry. It by itself sort of looks like 3 bands stacked...so could I get away with this?

TGuy gave me the idea, and I tried it and then laughed that it looked over the top. But then the blingyness hypnotized me..... :lol: From a distance it just looks like a big a** stack! Solves the problem of the beaudry being a bit too big too...

IMG_0903a.jpg

IMG_0906a.jpg

IMG_0910a.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that last photo. One rock on each hand. Heaven forbid anyone sneak up on you or try to grab your bag! Punch, punch! Both hands have diamonds to leave marks!

It's a beautiful diamond.. I'd keep it if I were you. But then again, I'm super sentimental and can't let anything go that remind me of anyone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think until you decide what you want to do with your mom's diamond... you can TOTALLY rock the double look! The Beaudry takes some of the 'wedding' out of the RHR combination. I think it looks kick a$$ awesome, but I'm a sucker for sparkle ("ain't no such thing as too much bling" - Enerchi, April 6, 2012!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you decided to return or sell it, could you put that money towards the resetting of your brooch to 3 stone plans? Are there any other relatives who would deserve to wear this ring? I know you said your DD will have an armoured car worth of treasures coming her way, but is there a special aunt, grandmother still around, sister, niece? or would that be just too weird....??

anyhow - looks great as a bonus diamond on the RH!!! Enjoy your time with it :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you can definitely wear it that way! You are now blingalicious in a most delicious way!! Sometimes these men come up with the best ideas!! ;-)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah! So hard. I really adore the square shape of that stone & think it would make a PERFECT pendant (preferably bezeled). I wouldn't do a bracelet. A ring is out because you're going to have the three-stone & will wear that all of the time. Grrrrrrr.

Nose stud?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi, no, no other relatives more deserving than I am. :rodent:

Funny that you all think it looks OK. It looks better in person than it does in photos too, but it's seriously OTT. I'll wear it when I feel like having fun.

Deco, nose ring..hm. Do you think it would droop? :-o

Yeah, I'm exploring options. I have some appointments next week to check out some things and should know more about what the heck to do soon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[Sharon, took this pic tonight and thought of you...don't think it works well as a bypass ring. :cheeky: The lightning is incandescent, hence the warmth. Also had to take a pic of my 1st world problem in its entirety. :rodent:[/quote]

Ahh, you know it does! :mrgreen: The right design would totally work.......gotta find the Cartier inspriation.......or find another sapphire or red stone--and make a bypass with that! First world all the way! :appl:

--cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results