shape
carat
color
clarity

stone is loose

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I was just looking at my ring and placed my fingers around the stone and it literally moved 1/4 of the way around in the setting, the prongs look like they are still touching the stone, how dangerous is it to continue wearing it in the mean time. I am leaving to NC tomorrow to visit my sister, and I don't want to risk losing the stone.

Oh and does anyone know of a chain jeweler that can tighten up the prongs in a short period of time?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get it checked! Or leave it behind. If it is a diamond, it will work away at the gold and damage that long before any damage happens to the stone. Unless it falls out. Or it gets bumped....

There's been a few improperly set stones lately. I just had mine reset (no glue this time round... go figure!) as did Dreamer on an earring.

Can you leave it behind for safety or get DH to take it to the jeweller while you are gone?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
you can see how much it moves if you look at the table in picture 1 and picture 2.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh - YIKES!
Do you think you can pop it in to your setter before you leave?? I'd be nervous if that was my ring! (and it s too big and gorgeous to risk loosing it!)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
big and dirty is more like it...which is weird because I just had it cleaned I wonder if it got loose in the cleaning process?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
AllieLuv83 said:
big and dirty is more like it...which is weird because I just had it cleaned I wonder if it got loose in the cleaning process?
could be.. I'd pop in an upscale local shop (assuming their clientele is picky guessing they would do a good job in order to remain in business) and ask them to tighten...

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
what would be upscale, there is a Jareds where I am going. Does Tiffany's do their work on site?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for not wearing your ring until you have the stone tightend, with the diamond being loose it will spin in the setting while your wearing it and the girdle will act like a little diamond chainsaw on the inside of your claws.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, Tiffany's does not do work on site, and I would not use a chain like Jared. I would use an upscale independent jeweler that is not a chain. What is the largest city close to you or where you are going?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 prong settings can be risky. Honestly, I would switch to a 6 prong if you can, because even if you get it tightened, it could possibly come loose again.

Jared would probably be fine though. They do all their work on site.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chain stores like Jared hire cheap not very experienced labor that is usually not on site. You need an on site good local bench your best bet is an independent store that is high end. Call ahead to make sure they have time to repair while you wait.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1333420350|3162176 said:
Chain stores like Jared hire cheap not very experienced labor that is usually not on site. You need an on site good local bench your best bet is an independent store that is high end. Call ahead to make sure they have time to repair while you wait.

No, Jared is on site. I have gone there for sizing and polishing. They also set while you watch. They are fast.

I agree that a non-chain/family jeweler will probably be your best bet. But they might also take longer to do the job.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to leave the ring at home, and take it into an independent jewelry store once I came back. It just scares me because the ring is only 2 months old and it is already moving so much!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is your wisest choice! It will be safe and then you can spend time deciding and viewing with the bench, rather than feeling rushed. Would you consider a 6 prong? Maybe tightening will be enough.

ENjoy your time away visiting your sister!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
Gypsy|1333420350|3162176 said:

No, Jared is on site. I have gone there for sizing and polishing. They also set while you watch. They are fast.

I agree that a non-chain/family jeweler will probably be your best bet. But they might also take longer to do the job.

Ditto Jared- their bench is onsite- at least at my local store.

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Allie did you tell Yekutiel about this? What did he say??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Jessica. I would contact Yekutiel and see what he says. The ring is very new.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AllieLuv83|1333440997|3162306 said:
I the ring is only 2 months old and it is already moving so much!
Talk to whoever you bought it from and presumably who contracted with the setter. It should not be spinning after 2 months of ordinary wear. This sounds like a manufacturers warranty issue.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Yekutiel said that he can tighten the prongs for free but I have to pay for shipping to him in NYC and the shipping back to me. I don't know if I am better off just going to someone local. Since registred mail is so slow and there seems to be a lot of posts about them lately. It just sucks because I am not hard on my ring at all, and its a little concerning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results