shape
carat
color
clarity

Received oval sapphire from Gemfix! What do you think?

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For me, I love that color. I could see it in a ring for ME (but I am reserving that for something I found and cut). Mount that in white gold or platinum and it will be a WOW.

And this is about cognative dissonance. "Should I 'A' or 'B'?" I think it is very pretty. So there. :) Picking A is a good choice.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the color in the 1st photo, and think the color in the others is still very nice. I think it's a good purchase, Please post pictures of the 2nd stone next to the first.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
So I received the 2nd sapphire yesterday and took a bunch of pics yesterday and today. I'm going to make my decision by the end of the day tomorrow but honestly, I think I like the darker stone better (the first stone that I received) although I'm guessing that many of you will prefer stone #2. The 2nd stone is a tad lighter, appears to be a bit more lavender, and it is very flat on the top (small crown?). I definitely prefer the taller crown on the 1st stone. I do like the size of stone #2 though, but not sure if its really worth the price increase, especially since it will be on a size 4.25 finger. Check out the pics and let me know what you guys think - Which do you like better? If you like the larger stone better, do you think its worth the price difference ($1120 vs $1650)?

For the vendor pics, stone 1 is the 4th row down on the right and stone 2 is the 3rd row down in the middle:
http://www.gemfix.com/newest_gems.html

First are a few pics next to me wedding set since it will be set in a white gold setting with diamonds:

SapphireCompare (1).JPG

SapphireCompare (2).JPG

SapphireCompare (3).JPG

SapphireCompare (7).JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
A few more next to white gold and diamonds...

SapphireCompare (45).JPG

SapphireCompare (48).JPG

SapphireCompare (53).JPG

SapphireCompare (60).JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
And the last one for now...

SapphireCompare (64).JPG

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
They're both beautiful but to my mind "A" performs a little better overall and that's coming from someone who likes lighter sapphires and big stones. Considering the price difference? I'd go with the first one I think but really, unless when you opened box 2 you went "Oh that's better", you seem to prefer your first pick.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
In your latest shots I like the one on the left more. Is that the original stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The darker and I think, the original, sapphire "wins" for me hands down. It sometimes appears a little too dark depending on the lighting so I would keep it in a pronged style setting. The lighter stone seems grayer and sometimes washed out in certain lighting conditions. Considering the increased cost, lesser saturation and not much of a size increase, it does not seem a wise choice.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Starzin - I agree and I am definitely leaning towards stone #1.

thbmok - Yes, the one on the left is the original stone, I guess I should have clarified that in my post!

Chrono - I agree that the darker stone can appear a bit too dark in some lighting but I like it better than stone #2 for the exact reasons you stated. Stone 2 just seems to have a washed-out appearance to me. Although in some lighting it is a very pretty blueish-purple but then it seems to look more like tanzanite, which isn't what I'm going for.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice choices stargurl!

I am still voting for #1 the original darker stone shown on the left. That grabs my attention and I prefer that contrast with your diamond and the WG. The other is lovely for all the reasons noted, but I do agree with Starzin, that unless you went "YES!!!" the moment you opened the second stone, stay with your original selection. And being that we are all aware of the rising costs of gems and gold, the extra cost for the stone could be used for the setting or just not spent at all.

#1 for me.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Enerchi! I was hoping you would come back and chime in. I agree, I can't justify spending an additional $500 on the 2nd stone when it just didn't grab my attention the way that I thought it might. Stone #1 wins! Stone #2 gets shipped back tonight.

Thank you all so much for your opinions!

Also, I received a response from Roger Dery - "We are not able to process any sales to consumers within the State of Michigan. We do not hold a state tax license - and at present - do not plan to apply for one unless situations change." He said that their sales are primarily to jewelers. So unfortunately I am unable to make a purchase from him :cry:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well in a way, that's a good thing to hear that from Roger. It means you don't have to stress about 'shoulda woulda coulda' had a stone from him. Its not an option, so there you are. (I'm trying to put a positive spin on it... working??) :D

Yes indeed, I really love #1 - so glad you did the research and came back to your initial plan. It pays to do the investigation, then it settles it in your mind. well... for me anyway :loopy:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi, that is exactly what I thought about Roger, at least its not another option to throw in the mix and possibly result in me spending more money! And I'm glad I gave this 2nd stone from Gemfix a try (even though I am spending way too much on shipping :knockout: ). Now I know that my first pick is the right choice. I feel like with colored stones, its just too hard to pick a stone online and know its right without seeing a few in person. Now on to start saving up for a setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results