shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPSD? (with photos)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
I posted to RockyTalky yesterday to get some ideas for *how* I could "Haloize" my ring. (I wear a larger solitaire on my right hand that makes my e-ring look small and I love halos..)

Now I'm down to a couple of options.

For reference, some pictures of my (very very dirty and beat up) ring that I took this a.m..

Specs of the e-ring: Christian Bernard, platinum, the center is 1.50 carat princess cut, VS2, F in color, I bought it knowing nothing about table etc and it probably isn't perfect in any way, but I like it and am not interested in changing the stone.

Option 1: Have the peg head popped out and replaced with one holding a halo.

Option 2: have a custom-made wrap made, something like this:

A picture of it put together, since I can only attach 4 photos: http://boards.weddingbee.com/?bb_attachments=620255&bbat=80775&inline

Input?

s640x640.jpg

1s640x640.jpg

2s640x640.jpg

boards.weddingbee.com.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No wrap.

I'd have a whole new ring made personally, I don't like the idea of a halo peg head popped in.

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! What about the idea makes you unconvinced?

I'd *like* to keep my original setting, for emotional attachment reasons, theoretically.

Boogins

Rough_Rock
Well my thoughts would be....no wrap! IMHO, they look dated and they make center stones look smaller.

I think a haloed peg head could work, IF it is well made and the halo style matches the band. Plus, all the halo pegs that I have seen hold the stone way too high out of the halo. Like I said, well made. Maybe BGD would do something like that for you? I understand you wanting to hang on to your original band for sentimental reasons.
Btw, I think your set is very pretty as is. :)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! What type of halo do you think would work best?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another "NO" to the wrap - agree with the "dated" comment.

Would you consider switching RHR with the LHR? then you have a halo, have your sentimental ering and you haven't spent a nickel!! (Is that just to simple a solultion??)

If you are going to replace, I'd go with a custom PS vendor - BGD would be perfect - or at least have a convo with them to see how to keep the original yet replace with a halo. You need to be sure of the integrity of the original and then quality of the halo. Would the band melee stones be the same as a new halo? That's another thing to consider .... you'd want the quality to be consistent.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DD. Although I understand your wanting to keep your original e-ring. However, my concern about merely switching out the head with a haloed version is whether the workmanship and style would be consistent. In other words, it seems like there is a high possibility of inconsistency in workmanship, style, etc. between what would be the shank of your current e-ring and the new haloed head.

I have seen halos redone and head of rings redone beautifully (Gypsy's and Yssie's rings come immediately to mind), but in both of those cases the shanks were plain (no melee/pave). In your case, the jeweler that re-does the halo of your ring would have to make sure that the diamond quality and flow of the new head would match the diamonds and style of the shank. It's possible that there would be no real differences and the haloing of your center stone would come out fine. But it's also possible that this re-do goes totally wrong. So for me given the wide range of possible outcomes, I'd probably err on the side of not haloing my current ring, and just have a new ring created.

ETA: Enerchi, Boggins and I were all posting at the same time. I think we all agree.

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1333037221|3159121 said:
Would you consider switching RHR with the LHR? then you have a halo, have your sentimental ering and you haven't spent a nickel!! (Is that just to simple a solultion??)

If you are going to replace, I'd go with a custom PS vendor - BGD would be perfect - or at least have a convo with them to see how to keep the original yet replace with a halo. You need to be sure of the integrity of the original and then quality of the halo. Would the band melee stones be the same as a new halo? That's another thing to consider .... you'd want the quality to be consistent.

Hi Enerchi! Thanks for the reply.

My right hand ring isn't a halo - it's just a solitaire.. just a bigger solitaire than my engagement ring. :razz: I thought the halo might help bring the attention back to my left hand ;-) the solitaire has a lot of family meaning (my entire paternal side of my family is dead and this was my great aunt's; it's a reminder of my dad, grandparents, etc - plus it's one hell of a ring and I can't imagine having it sit in a jewelry box!).

There's a local custom jeweler here in the DC area - I was thinking of going to them - I've herad great reviews in this area. However, I'd love your all's input - http://www.dominionjewelers.com/

I'm hesitant to mail off my ring, lol.

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Thanks, One Drop! Definitely gives me food for thought.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Besides what Onedrop said, I think the OTHER issue re: putting a halo onto your existing e-ring setting is that the arms taper toward the stone. I've never seen a halo w/that kind of design. I think those elements would *fight* each other or just look plain wrong.

I don't know WHAT I would do, honestly. If there's nothing "wrong" with your ering set other than it looks small next to an inherited RHR .... yet the original set has sentimental value. Plus pave, which can be hard to match new w/old

Am stumped!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Boogins said:
Well my thoughts would be....no wrap! IMHO, they look dated and they make center stones look smaller.

I think a haloed peg head could work, IF it is well made and the halo style matches the band. Plus, all the halo pegs that I have seen hold the stone way too high out of the halo. Like I said, well made. Maybe BGD would do something like that for you? I understand you wanting to hang on to your original band for sentimental reasons.
Btw, I think your set is very pretty as is. :)

Ditto this.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your current set is really beautiful - and I'm not always a princess stone fan but I really like your set!

I don't think there is any way to take out your current head and replace it with a halo without making it look off balance and 'pasted' together. You'd have issues with the stones in your ering and wedding band not looking matched with the halo. I think that sort of fix would seldom work.

My best suggestion would be for something custom that would put your current stone in a halo if that's what you want and use the stones in your ering and wedding band in a new ering and wedding band. At least you would have incorporated the stones from your original set in new rings.

You've got a difficult dilemma in trying to keep your current rings and yet have them look larger than a larger solitaire on your right hand. I think haloing your current stone might give you the extra size you're looking for but I'm afraid that in order to achieve a nice look, you'll have to design new rings. Something has to give in order to get you where you want to be!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results