shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you use Twitter?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I tried once but I felt like an idiot and gave up.

Do you use it? Do you like it?

I think I know what "@" means, but I'm confused- what does "#" mean?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never used it or even checked it out. Almost everyone I know under a certain age does twitter though but I am over that age and have no interest. Not sure what added value it brings to the table so to speak. I feel that this generation cannot communicate in person as well as the generation that did not grow up on twitter...(ducks and runs now LOL) :wink2:

What drives me nuts (and this has nothing to do with twitter but just venting now) is when people are walking and texting on their smartphones etc. What is so important that it cannot wait for you to stop and put your full attention to what you are doing. I see pedestrians crossing the street while texting and not looking where they are going. Maddening (and dangerous)!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I probably fall into the age group where Twitter is more popular but I've never been able to get into it. I have an account but it was only for reading someone else's tweets.

I will try to answer your questions, though.

@____________ is the username tagging. So if you want to tag someone in a Tweet you would write @ and then their username. For example if I wanted to tweet about Imdanny not liking Twitter I would write:

@Imdanny doesn't like Twitter!

The hashtag or # is a way to trend the post. I could write

I'm so sleepy and just want to go home and take a nap! #caseofthemondays

on a Monday morning.

I could be a little off the mark with either of these explanations, but this is just how I've perceived it!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lord, no. I'm pretty sure no one cares That much about what I do. :rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an account but don't use it. I think it's of better use to those who have a business/blog/some other type of agenda since it's such a great networking tool (you can follow a ton of people and vice versa).

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an acct but never use it...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is of no appeal to me at all. I don't really "get" the poitn of it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just dont care to be that much out there...I'm probably way above whatever that age is!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use Twitter! I joined in November as part of my current research into student engagement and social media.

I follow educators, writers, and book reviewers. Several of my students are on Twitter, and I tweet about links that might be of interest to them. I keep a blog as part of the research, and I write posts about reading and writing, and tweet about those. Mostly I tweet about other people's content, though.

I was very skeptical, but I've learned that if you follow interesting people it is a wonderful way to keep up-to-date with current goings-on in a specific field.

I don't think I'd use it to post personal anecdotes, but I have friends who do use it for that purpose.

Some interesting things have come out of my time on Twitter and Blogger.
1) I now read slush for a publisher, which is a lot of fun.
2) the major professional organization for my field has invited me to post two fun contributions to their website.
3) I've been contacted by four independent authors seeking more information about a comment I posted on a writer's blog. This put me in touch with some interesting people, and sparked a fun little blog post that has generated a lot of online discussion about readers and the reading culture, which is a lot of fun for me.
4) Three educators from different states have contacted me about how I teach reading at the college level. I've been collaborating with one of them online, and now all three of them are using the reading packet I wrote in their own classes. It's been lots of fun to collaborate with people I've never even met.
5) A group of three women in another state are using data from my NaNoWriMo workshops and experiences in their current research.

So, fun stuff. For a nerd like me, at least. :cheeky:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1332260205|3152839 said:

Same here. I get the reason celebs/businesses us it but not regular people. I am not that interesting.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1332268128|3152936 said:
ame|1332260205|3152839 said:

Same here. I get the reason celebs/businesses us it but not regular people. I am not that interesting.
lol me either. Hell most of them aren't either.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No FB, no Twitter.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do use Twitter, but I read more then I post.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No interest, I don't care who does what, and when... LOL..

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never seen Twitter's site, so no, I don't use it.

I prefer talking and e-mailing family and friends vs. communicating through social networking sites.

ETA: Haven, that's really cool! I hadn't thought of using Twitter for that purpose.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Like Haven, I also use Twitter more to follow my interests. I rarely tweet, but when I do, it's normally in response to something I've read. So mainly, I'm just on it to follow what other people/businesses/accounts are sharing.

I have a whole list of people/accounts that I follow specifically to feed my addiction to professional hockey - I keep up with game-day stuff, trades, etc. I also follow things related to my profession and my neighborhood news/events. Some local businesses share info about deals or discounts they are offering on a particular day, which is cool.

I usually check it once or twice a day, just to see what's transpired over the course of the day. Just an easy way for me to stay connected to a lot of stuff in a short amount of time.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
What does "trending" mean? I can make things "trend"? :confused:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of people still misunderstand what Twitter is most useful for. I don't "follow" anyone who posts about their mundane daily activities, nor do I know a lot of people who use it for that. I use Twitter to follow people who post links to interesting articles, blog posts, and event write-ups. For me, it's a great way to come across information that I find interesting, but would not have found reading the major news sites I frequent.

ETA: "Trending" means when lots of Twitter users post about a certain topic, usually with a "#" hashtag. I think you can only make things "trend" in conjunction with lots of other users conversing about the same topic.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure there are ways it could be useful, but for me, it would be like information overload. No thanks!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I have two accounts.

One is a personal account that I use to follow friends, bloggers, etc. I'd say that a goodly percentage of my tweets on that account are directed to my sister - it's an easy way for us to connect quickly to exchange a few words. (We talk on the phone a couple of times a week and see each other frequently, so it's not like Twitter has eroded our personal relationship.) It's fun and silly.

I also have an account that's work related. For this one, I mostly follow and rarely tweet myself, though I do retweet some. I follow a lot of people in the digital humanities and historical communities, and I learn a lot from the discussions and from the links they post.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have it, have gone through periods of using it a lot and then not much at all, but I see the value of it. It's got a lot of uses, and I started using it during a class in grad school, so I have friends on it (as well as some family, now). I follow businesses I like/use and learn about sales, etc. I've gotten discounts on things because I've complained publicly about prices. :cheeky: I follow others in my profession, and I use it to 'crowd source' when I need ideas. Like, 'what do you do when...?' and then a bunch of people respond intelligently (kind of like how people post threads here in Hangout for advice). It's been really helpful in that way. I've met up with people at conferences I know via Twitter. It really 'flattens' the world. I can just as easily tweet to Steve Martin as I can to my husband Steve. And I follow some truly hilarious people, so it's like watching a great stand-up show every single day. :lol:

I try not to tweet things I wouldn't want to read from someone else; same goes for my Facebook posts.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but only to complain or praise :lol:

I tweeted AA last week to praise the cabin crew and good service we got on our flight home, and previously tweeted BA about the appalling boarding shambles at Bergstrom.

Other than that, not really.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried it, I don't really like it. Anything super news worthy ends up on facebook anyway. My husband has and somewhat uses his, mostly to publicly call out companies when there's problem. Cablevision never responds faster than when you tweet at them!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really, really disappointed not to see that Danny had returned!

No Facebook. No Twitter.
(And although no one asked, I really hate Facebook.)

Deb/AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really, really disappointed not to see that Danny had returned!

No Facebook. No Twitter.
(And although no one asked, I really hate Facebook.)

Deb/AGBF

Me too! Before I realized this was an old thread bumped up I was yay Danny is back. But no.:(sad

I still don't use twitter generally but I do like checking it when the MTA has delays and such. It can be a useful tool at those times. Especially when trying to figure out an alternate route because of (all too common) subway delays.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results