shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Vows

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello my fellow Brides,

We're in the process of meeting with our officiant to customize our wedding ceremony, and figure out what out wedding vows will be.

A long time ago in some thread long past, someone lined to a website that had many different wordings for different parts of a traditional western wedding ceremony. Does any one remember the link I'm refering to, or where to find it?

Our officiant is quite groovy and is strongly opposed to ownership language, so there will be no "Who gives this woman.." or "I Bob take thee Sarah" (It will be "I, Bob, choose thee Sarah")
[Note that Bob and Sarah are not our real names]

the officiant has suggested:
"I, Bob, choose you Sara to be my partner in marriage; to laugh with you in joy, grieve with you in sorrow, to grow with you in love, to be faithful to you alone, as long as we both shall live." - Which is a good start, but I think it could be tweaked.

Any thoughts or resources? (sorry, I'm not going to but the ceremony book that everyone mentions)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Don't remember the website you're talking about, but here were ours for reference:

[Bride/Groom], I choose you to be my wife/husband, to grow with you in love and to be by each other’s side through our life’s journey together. I promise to cherish you, to honor you, to love and respect you. I promise to comfort and encourage you when our lives are filled with happiness and when we experience difficulty or strife, when we are healthy and when we must endure sickness; when we are filled with joys of success and when we are burdened with sorrows. I choose to spend my life with you.

(we did use that book you don't want to buy - might I suggest the library? :halo: )

Here is one resource I used with some links out: http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/07/how-to-write-wedding-vows/

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Great link!

We are meeting with our (potential) celebrant tonight we have read A LOT of sample ceremonies before this point. I am going to be super fussy about getting just the right wording.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Wow you ladies are the best!!

Thank you for sharing your vows Sillyberry - I found the link you posted most helpful.

Slg47 that's the one! I'm so glad you remebered it!

4ever - Finding the right ceremony wording is hard - especialy when it's almost, but not perfectly right.

I found this website to be of some vow help: http://www.myweddingvows.com/, though there were many that weren't quite right

Fi and I tried writing vows from scratch, and FI's ended up being mostly love letters and proposals, but not really vows, mine weer a bit better but still need some work.

I saw these ones and realy liked them :

______________, I choose you to be my __________, to be the companion of my days, and my love.We shall bear together whatever of sorrow and adversity life may lay upon us. We shall share together whatever of joy and fulfillment life may hold in store.

We're meeting with our officiant later this week, so we'll see what happens.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I did quite a bit of work on our ceremony last night.

For vows, FI wants something short and to the point like: "I 4evers FI, Love you 4ever and Today I take you as my wife. What ever life shall bring, I will love you and care for you always"

While I would go for something like "4evers FI, I love you, you are my best friends. Today I take you as my husband, Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not know. I look forward to the chance to grow together and to falling in love with you more each day. Whatever life shall bring, I will love you and care for you always"

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
FutureGirl...I see no reason you have to recite the SAME vows during your ceremony...most of your guests won't notice and each of you will have said exactly what you would like to say to the other. Just a thought...

4ever

Ideal_Rock
vc10um said:
FutureGirl...I see no reason you have to recite the SAME vows during your ceremony...most of your guests won't notice and each of you will have said exactly what you would like to say to the other. Just a thought...

Agreed, sorry I wasn't clear - Fi would say the first vows and I would say the second. We both have slightly different ideas of what we want to say so we are just gonna say different stuff.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
4ever said:
vc10um said:

Agreed, sorry I wasn't clear - Fi would say the first vows and I would say the second. We both have slightly different ideas of what we want to say so we are just gonna say different stuff.
it's your wedding- you should use the vows you want!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1331667078|3147824 said:
vc10um said:

Gotcha! Well then bravo! :appl: :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results