shape
carat
color
clarity

"Lie to Me" is 90% true

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hooked on a 2009 series called, "Lie to Me".
It's current streaming on Netflix.
Smart and fascinating show!!!

Apparently we all exhibit fleeting "micro-expressions" or body tics that reveal if we're lying or concealing something.
Scientific research tells us they are universal worldwide and uncontrollable.

In this PM article the real-life scientific expert tells us the show is 90% on the money.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/4300722

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was disappointed when this show was cancelled. I loved watching it. We never got to see Cal end up with Gillian!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE this show, never a dull moment, really fascinating. We are currently watching on Netflix too...

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
I did a small stint as an intern at Homeland Security and they were working on computer programs for this. Face scanning software in security cameras was used to determine if people were lying when asked questions at customs/airport screening.

Also, I was in a focus group for a military contractor where I got hooked up to a bunch of gadgets with a camera on me and I had to try to lie. It was nuts. Not exactly "Lie to Me"...but a computerized version

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Partial Wiki snip:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microexpression

A microexpression is a brief, involuntary facial expression shown on the face of humans according to emotions experienced.
They usually occur in high-stakes situations, where people have something to lose or gain.
Unlike regular facial expressions, it is difficult to hide microexpression reactions.

Microexpressions express the seven universal emotions: disgust, anger, fear, sadness, happiness, surprise, and contempt.
However in the 1990s Paul Ekman expanded his list of basic emotions, including a range of positive and negative emotions not all of which are encoded in facial muscles.
These emotions are amusement, contempt, embarrassment, excitement, guilt, pride, relief, satisfaction, pleasure, and shame.[1][2]
They are very brief in duration, lasting only 1/25 to 1/15 of a second.[3]

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool!

Thanks Maisie.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we were hooked on it, too. unfortunately, it was canceled before ending the story re he and his daughter and co-worker. hate it when that happens.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1331665283|3147792 said:
we were hooked on it, too. unfortunately, it was canceled before ending the story re he and his daughter and co-worker. hate it when that happens.

I wish they would do a one off special...just so we can see Cal and Gillian ride/walk/drive/skip off into the sunset!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I never heard of the show -- you make me want to check it out.

People in that field do a lot of work for lawyers in jury selection. Probably assessing testimony too. Sometimes they appear on news analysis programs giving opinions on whether so-&-so really believes what he's saying in a video clip. Always interesting.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I loved this show!!! I was sad it was cancelled. I remember looking up on wiki the guy whose book it was cancelled on! Very cool stuff.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Lie to Me" is 90% true

LJL said:
I did a small stint as an intern at Homeland Security and they were working on computer programs for this. Face scanning software in security cameras was used to determine if people were lying when asked questions at customs/airport screening.

Also, I was in a focus group for a military contractor where I got hooked up to a bunch of gadgets with a camera on me and I had to try to lie. It was nuts. Not exactly "Lie to Me"...but a computerized version
very cool!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD and I were talking about this very thing last night! She showed me a video with Paul Eckman in which he revealed some of the microexpressions in his test subjects (apparently Nixon was a great liar - no microexpressions to give him away. Clinton on the other hand...well) . This was fascinating! Especially the subtle shoulder shrugs that I never would have guessed. He did say that when people lie because they have something to lose, that these microexpressions are most apparent.

I didn't realize that this series was on Netflix. Gonna put it in my queue.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My DH just went through a body language class for his job (he's a deputy sheriff). If you are asked a question, your eyes will go in a certain direction depending on how you are thinking about the answer. The coolest part is that the part of memory you access for actual memories is different than if you you accessing your creative side (to make something up). He asked me a series of questions and it was amazing. Once I knew what was "supposed" to happen I would try to fight it, but couldn't.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1331681825|3148036 said:
He asked me a series of questions and it was amazing. Once I knew what was "supposed" to happen I would try to fight it, but couldn't.

Really cool. Must have felt weird. :loopy:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1331682070|3148040 said:
amc80|1331681825|3148036 said:
He asked me a series of questions and it was amazing. Once I knew what was "supposed" to happen I would try to fight it, but couldn't.

Really cool. Must have felt weird. :loopy:

It was...he'd ask me something, like "what did you have for dinner last night?" and I'd try to keep looking forward....but as soon as I started concentrating on thinking about the answer, my eyes would just go to whichever direction they should have.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Amys Bling|1331667661|3147834 said:
LJL said:

very cool!

It was pretty crazy - both experiences. Both systems were machines that could tell that you were making the microexpressions- enough to be picked up on camera and notify the overseer. They were also supposed to have heat sensors that could tell if your body temp went up, if you were sweating, all that kind of stuff.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Add me to the list of "Loved it, sad it was canceled."

Those who know me well can usually tell everything from my expression. I guess everything is written on my face. But, you have to know me well.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Loved this show as well! Except when my fiance became convinced that he is a microexpressions expert and started calling me a liar every time I touched my face... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results