carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a princess, advice needed on high crown

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

So after spending several hours last week drooling in Tiffanys, I was particuarly taken by http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10047#f+0/1002/0/0/0/1002.. Hubby has said that I can get my own bezel set princess!

I am looking for a princess cut ideally.....
1.2ct upwards (6mm square is my magic number)
at least a very good cut
SI1/2 depending on the acceptability of the inclusions, (no dalmatians)
I would love a higher color but I think I will need to look G-H
I also would love a fluorescent stone if possible, providing it's not hazy.

I plan to put it in a simple bezel setting similar to the Tiffany princess bezet, due to this I would prefer a stone with some crown high, bezel sets can sometimes look like you are looking down into a pool if the stone has a very flat profile. So I think I want a stone with a bit shape to the table and crown .

My budget is also 5k so I know this won't be an easy find.

I'm thinking of going to JA for the setting as I know he has quite a few bezel settings in his range for less than 1k. http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/princess-cut-diamond-solitaire-ring.html

I few months back I was helping another PSer hunt for Princesses and I saw this stone that I absolutely loved :love: , but its wayyyy over my budget http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8960/

Am I right in thinking the Solasfera's have more crown height than plain princesses?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please help me find a princess, advice needed on high cr

Oooooh boy...that's going to be extremely difficult given the budget! 1.2ct princesses are notoriously difficult to find. If you were looking for 1.0, it would be a piece of cake.

This is the closest I can find, but the crown isn't that high (GIA doesn't state crown height, but the diagram of the side of the diamond is to scale):

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1457200.asp

It's a tad over budget and under size, but the measurements are nearly 6mm square. It looks like a bright stone with a pleasing contrast pattern.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks Jstar,

That is a nice stone. I'll ask JA to comment on the crown height.
I am not too fussed on the actual carat weight, I just want to be at/over 6mm square.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Yup, 5x93x5.85 is pretty darn close, and fantastic spread for a 1.09. I encourage you to reserve it and get the ASET before someone else does! Then you can decide if the crown height is OK for you.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb|1328903816|3123427 said:
Yup, 5x93x5.85 is pretty darn close, and fantastic spread for a 1.09. I encourage you to reserve it and get the ASET before someone else does! Then you can decide if the crown height is OK for you.

done. Will have to wait until next wednesday for the aset.

In the mean time are there any other options?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Keep in mind that's a sample image on a virtual stone - no way to know what it really looks like until they call it in. It's probably going to appear a tiny bit off-square based on those dimensions. Ask BGD to call it in if you're interested.

ETA: Of the diamonds that have actual images available on BGD, WF, GOG, and JA, I found no other ones that are close to what you're looking for and in your price range. You could try your luck with calling in virtual stones - I didn't look at those.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb|1328925052|3123705 said:
Keep in mind that's a sample image on a virtual stone - no way to know what it really looks like until they call it in. It's probably going to appear a tiny bit off-square based on those dimensions. Ask BGD to call it in if you're interested.

ETA: Of the diamonds that have actual images available on BGD, WF, GOG, and JA, I found no other ones that are close to what you're looking for and in your price range. You could try your luck with calling in virtual stones - I didn't look at those.

I didn't even notice that!!!!

Good catch!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi chel,

Just a note on princess cuts and crown height. Solasfera's do have some of the tallest crowns we see in pc's and that is a good thing but only when those crown heights are coupled with the proper pavilion depths ... or more particularly when the proper crown angles are coupled with the proper pavilion angles. It is possible to have a princess cut with a tall crown and still not have ideal optics if it's not coupled with the right pavilion. This same truth is not only applicable to princess cuts but all shapes/cuts of diamond.

Kind regards,
Rhino

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

chel180|1329135807|3125221 said:
What do you think of this one?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2744431.htm

Its bigger in ct weight but same carat weight. Its a virtual selection so no idea what it looks like or crown height. Worth asking for it to be called in?

The one at JA has bigger spread especially for the carat weight, but the crown may turn out to be a dud for you. This one is a little cheaper and nearly a perfect square. It could turn out to be not eye-clean or poorly cut...you don't have much to go on, as you mentioned. You could see how much WF charges to call a stone in and get the pics, Sarin, and ASET and decide if that's worth it to you.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I've hold off on that one until I see the JA aset image as its a bit too much of a wildcard.

What about this one?

As its EGL I chose higher specs expecting G VS1 to be more like H/I VS2/SI1. Its cheaper than the JA stone and has a fairly high crown height.

or this one: whilst the crown height is only 8% I am somewhat seduced but the size.... I expect this one to be more I/J VS2/SI1

egl cert.JPG

egl cert2.JPG

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is the cert for the 1.33

1.33 H VS1 EGL.JPG

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I now have the aset for the 1.09 which I've put in a separate item in the hopes of inciting more people to join in with reviewing.

Jstar and Davi: What are your thoughts on the 1.09, is it worth pursuing the 1.22 or the 1.33?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I posted in your other thread, but I'm not loving the ASET for the one I recommended at first. Either of the other 2 might have potential. Personally I'd pick a GIA stone over EGL any day, but if it's from a place that provides ASETs and photos and you get it independently appraised, you might be fine with the EGL-USA one.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Any updates, chel?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I received the images for the stones and didn't like them so I'm continuing the hunt.

There is just a complete lack of stones that fit my requirements even if I raised the budget. So I haven't go any other contenders to share.

The more I look, the more I learn about my preferences. I am not very color or clarity sensitive. But nice facet patterns and symmetry do appeal to me (more than most). I also know for certain that I want a higher crown, over 10% for sure, and a smaller table, preferred but not essential.

I love bezels when they look like they are holding the diamond around the centre, but not when the bezel is thicker or higher than the top of the table as, to me. it looks like your a peering down into a well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results