shape
carat
color
clarity

My Tahitian tin cut necklace

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is my tin cup necklace that was gifted to me my mother some time ago so I don't know any specs. It holds 11 pearls, (Assuming)Tahitian 5 and 6 white (no idea what sort, any ideas?) around all 6mm in length set in sterling silver. Around 14'' length. With just over an inch between each pearl.

Maybe you can help me work out what pearls I have:
What sort of pearls would you expect the white to be?
What type of Tahitian's do I have?

I would like to buy some Tahitian studs to wear with it but I don't know what overtone the Tahitian are to match them up. I'm not near any of the favoured pearl vendors so I would be buying by post. Any suggestions? They look grey/green to me with purple highlights and when I look at PP's chart peacock is the closest but I'm not sure that close enough. This is what I had in mind, although I might see if they have smaller, 6-7mm. http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-AAA-Tahitian-Pearl-Stud-Earrings476.aspx There are some earrings that go with it, white drops but they have this large ugly ear post that is almost as big as the pearls.

I absolutely love it as it as its a chameleon and goes with everything (except brown), if I wear green it looks green, purple it looks purple and so on and as an added bonus is fairly modern looking.

25022012020.jpg

25022012021.jpg

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Whilst small Tahitian pearls do exist, the rarity of a pair in the six or seven millimeter range would be a heavy challenge unless you consider keshi an option. Tahitian pearls most commonly occur at eight millimeters and larger.

The pearls in your tin cup are (if genuine) freshwater. The black pearls are not Tahitian.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, good to know. What do you think the black pearls are then?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those do look like freshwater pearls

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1330202211|3134432 said:
Those do look like freshwater pearls
the white, black or both?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh well. Dyed freshwaters is more likely now I'm reading about it. On the plus side my matching earrings have gone from around $300 to $50 so that'll save a few dollars!

I've also just seen the typo in the title d'oh. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results