shape
carat
color
clarity

How many PS'ers graduated from a Seven Sisters college?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope. Embarrassed to say that I had an idea of what that meant but had to google it to confirm my suspicisions.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Also nope. I got so far as to have a conversation with the swim coach of Wellesley on the phone, but just like the Ivy Leagues, Division III schools ( of which Wellesley is one) can't give athletic scholarships and I just didn't have the dough to go to school without one.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Me!!! Loved it and wouldn't trade my time there for anything in the world. :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1330057768|3133053 said:
Me!!! Loved it and wouldn't trade my time there for anything in the world. :bigsmile:

It burns me up that I wasn't allowed to apply to Bryn Mawr and Smith. Not in any "serious" or "politcal" way- it's just that if a person wants to go to a rigorous liberal arts college ironically women have more choices! I never applied to any but I would have gone to Vassar in a heartbeat. :cheeky:

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I did! I graduated from Mount Holyoke. Being there was one of the best experiences of my life.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Not me - I loved Vassar, but in the end chose a different school, closer to home. Ironic that in the end I graduated early and moved to the other side of the world! ::)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Wellesley, Wellesley, only to be there... I swear I went there because it just looked like college to me!

I've always found this clip from The Simpsons hilarious.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry|1330095759|3133284 said:
Wellesley, Wellesley, only to be there... I swear I went there because it just looked like college to me!

I've always found this clip from The Simpsons hilarious.

My school was a sister school to Wellesley... I remember as a freshmen sighing up for a class there (you could take a course at the sister school towards your degree)... The thought of taking a class at an all girls school seemed like the greatest idea in the world to an 18 year old boy.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I actually hadn't heard of the 7 Sister's either:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20020108.html

But I have dated girls from 4 of them at some point in my life... Does that earn me an honorary degree? :bigsmile:

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I didn't go to one of the Seven Sisters, but I did go to the West Coast equivalent. I'm another that wouldn't trade my time there for anything. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1330059641|3133076 said:

It burns me up that I wasn't allowed to apply to Bryn Mawr and Smith. Not in any "serious" or "politcal" way- it's just that if a person wants to go to a rigorous liberal arts college ironically women have more choices! I never applied to any but I would have gone to Vassar in a heartbeat. :cheeky:

Danny, Vassar is coeducational so you could have applied for acceptance...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EricaR|1330097918|3133317 said:
I didn't go to one of the Seven Sisters, but I did go to the West Coast equivalent.

The Claremont Colleges, by any chance?

Deb
:saint:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
missy|1330098698|3133329 said:

Depends on his age (which I have no idea about) but Vassar went co-Ed in 1969...so perhaps not?

Danny, I hear what you're saying and we actually had a lengthy and heated discussion about the issue of single-sex education in one of the classes I took. It's a tricky issue for me because I know there isn't the same sort of need for women's colleges today as what led to the founding of these institutions. Nowadays, women can go pretty much anywhere and are enrolling and graduating in higher numbers than men, across the board. However, I do think that, for some people, the need for the social and academic environment these schools offer is very real. Studies prove that women who go to women's colleges are dramatically more likely to major in math and science, and grad school acceptance rates are very high. But the demand for single-sex education seems to be only among women; very very few men want to go to a single-sex men's college anymore. Meanwhile, Bryn Mawr's application rate keeps going up, up, up -- if I were applying today, I seriously doubt I could get in. That said, it's not uncommon for freshmen to get there and say, "what the hell am I doing here?" and transfer somewhere else -- it's the kind of environment that either works or it doesn't. Anyway, in many ways I wish some of the formerly men's colleges hadn't gone coed (speaking just of small liberal arts schools, not of "specialty" colleges with no real equivalent elsewhere, such as VMI). I'm generally a fan of single-sex education for people who want and thrive in that environment, and it would certainly seem fairer to men who want this kind of school...but if there's little demand, there will be correspondingly little supply. I don't know, I'm just babbling now, but I guess what I'm saying is that half of my logical side agrees with you, while the rest of my logical side and all of my emotional side are firmly, 100% in favor of these schools remaining exactly as they are unless demand changes.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1330098711|3133332 said:
I didn't go to one of the Seven Sisters, but I did go to the West Coast equivalent.

Deb

Scrippsie to the core! Can't believe I graduated 10 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
EricaR|1330105441|3133430 said:

Deb

Scrippsie to the core! Can't believe I graduated 10 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Erica, one of my best friends started at Scripps but ended up transferring after freshman year. She said it was a great place, she just missed the east coast. I wonder if you knew each other, though -- I don't know exactly which year you graduated, but I'm sure you must have overlapped!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia|1330105709|3133434 said:
EricaR|1330105441|3133430 said:

Deb

Erica, one of my best friends started at Scripps but ended up transferring after freshman year. She said it was a great place, she just missed the east coast. I wonder if you knew each other, though -- I don't know exactly which year you graduated, but I'm sure you must have overlapped!

When I talk about colleges now, I no longer talk about where my friends went, but where their children went and (deep sigh) where their grandchildren went!!!

The son of one of my closest friends went to Pomona and the grandson of another dear friend went to Harvey Mudd!

Deb

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Octavia - it is very possible there was overlap! I was there from 1998-2002.

The Claremont Colleges are fantastic. The volunteer coordinator at the organization I volunteer with is a Pomona graduate. We bonded from the moment we met face to face - she was wearing a Pomona sweatshirt and I was wearing a Scripps hoodie. 8-) The best part about my college education is that it will be allllll paid for in about three more months. No more student loans, baby!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Clio|1330092728|3133250 said:
I did! I graduated from Mount Holyoke. Being there was one of the best experiences of my life.

Then you probably know Emily Dickinson spent a year there. I'm a huge Emily Dickinson fan.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

That's why I mentioned it. Not in high school but in middle school I lived 20 miles away from Poughkeepsie is another reason. Great school.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1330105237|3133424 said:

Depends on his age (which I have no idea about) but Vassar went co-Ed in 1969...so perhaps not?

Danny, I hear what you're saying and we actually had a lengthy and heated discussion about the issue of single-sex education in one of the classes I took. It's a tricky issue for me because I know there isn't the same sort of need for women's colleges today as what led to the founding of these institutions. Nowadays, women can go pretty much anywhere and are enrolling and graduating in higher numbers than men, across the board. However, I do think that, for some people, the need for the social and academic environment these schools offer is very real. Studies prove that women who go to women's colleges are dramatically more likely to major in math and science, and grad school acceptance rates are very high. But the demand for single-sex education seems to be only among women; very very few men want to go to a single-sex men's college anymore. Meanwhile, Bryn Mawr's application rate keeps going up, up, up -- if I were applying today, I seriously doubt I could get in. That said, it's not uncommon for freshmen to get there and say, "what the hell am I doing here?" and transfer somewhere else -- it's the kind of environment that either works or it doesn't. Anyway, in many ways I wish some of the formerly men's colleges hadn't gone coed (speaking just of small liberal arts schools, not of "specialty" colleges with no real equivalent elsewhere, such as VMI). I'm generally a fan of single-sex education for people who want and thrive in that environment, and it would certainly seem fairer to men who want this kind of school...but if there's little demand, there will be correspondingly little supply. I don't know, I'm just babbling now, but I guess what I'm saying is that half of my logical side agrees with you, while the rest of my logical side and all of my emotional side are firmly, 100% in favor of these schools remaining exactly as they are unless demand changes.

I graduated high school in 85. I don't care if these schools like Bryn Mawr remain only for women. The only thing I would say about it is it's ironic that women got let in all of the Ivy League schools (yes? and Radcliffe folded? or am I imagining that?) so women have those options and the options available before, Smith et al.

My actual point in starting this thread was to say that there are a lot of top rate schools that are not Ivy League schools. Some of them are Seven Sisters schools and many like Occidental that the President attended are neither Ivy League nor Seven Sisters schools. That was my point. I wouldn't presume to tell Bryn Mawr it should accept men.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1330156787|3134017 said:

Then you probably know Emily Dickinson spent a year there. I'm a huge Emily Dickinson fan.

Emily Dickinson is my cat's name. :lol:
My male cat is Steinbeck.

Yes, I am a giant dork! :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
EricaR|1330165960|3134052 said:

LOL, that's great! :bigsmile:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EricaR|1330165960|3134052 said:

Didn't graduate from a Seven Sisters school (though I have taught at one), but I just had to chime in to say that I love your cats. Does Emily Dickinson hide under the bed and Steinbeck get all up in your pescaterian products?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1330157889|3134027 said:
Octavia|1330105237|3133424 said:

I graduated high school in 85. I don't care if these schools like Bryn Mawr remain only for women. The only thing I would say about it is it's ironic that women got let in all of the Ivy League schools (yes? and Radcliffe folded? or am I imagining that?) so women have those options and the options available before, Smith et al.

My actual point in starting this thread was to say that there are a lot of top rate schools that are not Ivy League schools. Some of them are Seven Sisters schools and many like Occidental that the President attended are neither Ivy League nor Seven Sisters schools. That was my point. I wouldn't presume to tell Bryn Mawr it should accept men.

The thing is Danny, there still might be a need for these colleges (albeit less of a need) because there is still discrimination against women. Women still are less represented in positions of power and still earn less on the dollar than men do (depending on the profession). I could compare it to affirmative action which still exists even though a black man is president of the USA. Just because some minorites/discriminated against groups are in power/have made it (so to speak) doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist. KWIM?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I do kwym. :bigsmile:

Clio

Brilliant_Rock

She's one of my favorite poets as well. If you're ever in the area, her house in Amherst is a neat place to visit.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1330157889|3134027 said:

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. But thank you for thinking to mention these schools, there are definitely a lot of people who don't know about them (or the many other fabulous liberal arts schools who aren't members of any particular "club")!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn't Bryn Mawr College have a special relationship with Haverford College?? I live across from Bryn Mawr College, and see many men attending classes from Haverford College.. I never stopped to ask, just figured they merged in some manner?? :read:

MIL and SIL went to a sister school.

Me?? I went to an all girls school K-12, so a sister college was on my NOT list, LOL...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results