shape
carat
color
clarity

SINGLE prong VS SHARED prong eternity band try on session!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
In other threads I've mentioned that I'm getting BGD to make me an eternty band to match my Grace set. I have to get them to make it bc Grace is a very low set design and doesn't work with anything I've tried on. My biggest decision right now is between single or shared prong bands. I know its a personal choice but I still would like advice. I will say that my FIRST choice was this stle of Ritani eternity band, single prong:

93935_th.jpg

Today I tried on the two types of bands. Here are some pics of three rings on my finger--one single prong at the bottom and then two shared prong above that.

IMG-20120127-00509.jpg

IMG-20120127-00511.jpg

IMG-20120127-00513.jpg

IMG-20120127-00510.jpg

And one pic of two single prong rings with diff pointers:

IMG-20120127-00514.jpg

My first instinct is to say that I still like the single prong band. EVEN though the stones are farther apart with the single prong and there are fewer stones, I feel like each stone stands out. With the shared prong band, when I look at the rings from the top, because the stones are smaller pointers (which I'll ahve to use bc my Grace rings are only 2.5mm wide) and they pack in close together, they don't look as round. When lined up, the edges of the ring look straighter, more square-ish thatn rounded. I like the "humps" that you get with the individual stones in the single prong.

BUT, I would still like to hear other opinions on how people see these rings through their own eyes. I know the preferance around here is shared prong but I'm still very open to advice, suggestions, explanation as to why people visually prefer shared prong settings.

Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: SINGLE prong VS SHARED prong eternity band try on sessio

They all look beautiful! It will be hard to choose! :love: :love: :love:

THe single prong is definitely more 'pronounced' in terms of individual diamonds. It looks very delicate and feminine.

The shared prongs look like a 'wall of sparkle' (which is my personal preference) and I don't focus on the prongs as much as the sparkle. As for the size of the diamonds, the larger you go, the wider the band, so I think it would depend on what fits with your Grace setting. Not knowing the mm details, I'd be inclined to defer to BGD's expertise as to how big you can go without cutting into the Ering.

They really do all look stunning on you - you have lovely long fingers!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honestly, if Brian can make then single prong to work with your e-ring I'd go with that. It sounds like you like it better and I think it's a little more modern looking and would be a really nice pairing with you Grace e-ring!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you really want single prong, why don't you consider Memoire who has been making them for awhile? They make the lowest settings that we know of, too.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

I do prefer shared prong. The single prong rings look "spotty" to my eyes, whereas the shared prong look more like an unbroken band of diamonds. But it is such a personal preference and you should choose what your own eyes and preferences are! Have you considered a bezel set round diamond band? I think that would look nice, too and definitely shows each diamond as a singular stone.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1327707852|3113439 said:
If you really want single prong, why don't you consider Memoire who has been making them for awhile? They make the lowest settings that we know of, too.

I don't have a Memoire dealer near me so Id' be buying blind. I wouldn't be able to try it on ahead of time to see if I like it. That's my main concern. AND I've just sent my rings to BGD to be re-sized and measured so that an eternity band can be made. If I knew about Memoire before I sent my rings in I could have possibly ordered one (if I can get a refund) BEFORE I sent my rings into BGD. But not that the rings are already there, I'd feel like it was a waste if I got them to ship them back, then tried to source out a Memoire, and if the memoire didn't work I 'd have to ship them to BGD again, which was a bit of a hassle in the first place.

The only thing I can think of is that Brian takes measurements of my rings, then lets me know what my options are and sends them back to me while I decide. Then he goes ahead with making the eternity bands without having my rings there, based on his measurements. In the meantime, while he waits for me to decide, I could try and find a Memoire. But if there is no dealer near me in Toronto, what do I do??

There must be something I'm not thinking of.

Also, I'm curious as to why getting a Memoire would be a better option than BGD making an eternity band for me to specifically fit my current set? Wouldn't the BGD project cost less in the end and be a better fit? Again, maybe there's something I'm not thinking of as to why BGD isn't the best option for this project.

Thanks for all the advice! If anyone has input on my thought above, please share. I'm starting to feel the pressue to decide which way to go and I don't know what to do. I know, first world problems, right? :mrgreen:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

blueiris|1327708037|3113443 said:
I do prefer shared prong. The single prong rings look "spotty" to my eyes, whereas the shared prong look more like an unbroken band of diamonds. But it is such a personal preference and you should choose what your own eyes and preferences are! Have you considered a bezel set round diamond band? I think that would look nice, too and definitely shows each diamond as a singular stone.

ditto this.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

I'd be inclined to give Brian a chance to make suggestions for you, then evaluate those suggestions and see if one or more is what you'd like. Since he already has your rings, it seems like the simplest route at this point. If for some reason you don't like any of his suggestions and decide not to have a custom band made, then you can always revisit other ready-made options. As I've said before though, I really think he'll be able to come up with a good design for you that will work with your Grace - as long as you aren't set on having a certain diamond point size.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

I agree that the shared prong style gives the look of a solid wall of diamonds. BUT when the diamonds are small, I feel like they aren't so sparkly and blingy mush placed right up against each other. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right. Sorta how a large good qualtiy solitarie would catch my eye from across the room but a pave band would not sparkle at me from across the room. Even if they are all good stones, the smaller ones that are packed together don't seem to sparkle as much to me.

Now, IF I was looking at a shared prong band with large stones...the case would be different. I saw some today that were eternity bands made out of larger pointers and still shared prong but they seemed to be more blingy, more sparkly. While the ones with smaller pointers (like I'd need to use to make a 2.5mm diameter ring) didn't sparkle as much and seemed like a "dull" wall of diamonds. yes it could have been the stones were dirty or the lighting.

Can anyone explain why the small shared prong set stones don't look as sparkly to me as the same size of stones that are set in single prong?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

Ha! I just showed hubby and one of my best friends and right away they both said (on their own) they like the ring in the middle (shared prong) the best. Hubby likes it better bc there are more diamonds and BF likes it better bc she thinks it'll match my Grace the best.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

blueiris|1327711203|3113480 said:
I'd be inclined to give Brian a chance to make suggestions for you, then evaluate those suggestions and see if one or more is what you'd like. Since he already has your rings, it seems like the simplest route at this point. If for some reason you don't like any of his suggestions and decide not to have a custom band made, then you can always revisit other ready-made options. As I've said before though, I really think he'll be able to come up with a good design for you that will work with your Grace - as long as you aren't set on having a certain diamond point size.

At this point, this is what my gut tells me. Brian is out of town for a few more days so I'll have to practice patience in the meantime :) I'm just so eager to find out what my options are.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock

These are all beautiful, but may I offer a word of warning? Shared prong bands are notorious for loose stones and chipped stones because the girdle of the diamond is exposed. If you are wearing it against an engagement ring, the diamonds will most likely eat away at whatever it is rubbing against (the metal). And, since the stones are held in by very little (the thing that makes them look so pretty), they are more susceptible to becoming loose or damaged from normal wear and tear.

I think they are lovely, but better left worn alone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would say it would be the opposite...the more diamonds, the MORE sparkle. That is exactly why I prefer the shared prong..one sparkly row of diamonds rather than seeing a gap with a big metal prong.

Why get Memoire over BG? Because they specialize in making this kind of ring and they make very low settings.

"Most of our mountings are made using the hot extrusion process. Before a mounting is cut, the chosen metal is pushed through a tube with enormous force and heat. This pressure eliminates porosity (air bubbles) from the metal. The result is a platinum or 18K gold mounting that is solid throughout, strong, hard and exceptionally durable. A standard cast mounting starts with liquid metal that is poured into a mold. As the metal cools and hardens, air can be trapped on the inside causing pits and porosity, which could weaken the finished product. Mémoire’s extruded mountings are laser cut for exactness directly from metal that has undergone the hot extrusion process, eliminating this problem. This process creates the strongest possible prongs to secure the diamonds and precious stones, and a more durable overall ring, designed to last a lifetime."

http://memoire.com/index.aspx?par=metal#

The thing is, if BG makes you a custom ring, can you return it if you don't like it? At least with the Memoire, you could try them on before ordering if you can locate a seller. Pearlman's might send you a sample ring to try, but you'd have to call and check. They probably do offer the lowest prices (ask for pricescope discount).

That said, BG might be able to make a perfect ring for you. I am always a little cautious when someone wants a custom item that the vendor hasn't made before (in your case, a super low setting, and I am not sure whether he has done single prongs). That really is the only reason I am mentioning all this.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

I personally prefer shared prong. I find that the single prong bands make my eyes look at the prongs instead of the diamonds. And with shared prong, there's more sparkle altogether.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

blueiris|1327712882|3113504 said:

I didn't see that thread but I took a look just now. I don't really like that style of eternity ring? Is that called bead set?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

sphenequeen|1327717986|3113555 said:
These are all beautiful, but may I offer a word of warning? Shared prong bands are notorious for loose stones and chipped stones because the girdle of the diamond is exposed. If you are wearing it against an engagement ring, the diamonds will most likely eat away at whatever it is rubbing against (the metal). And, since the stones are held in by very little (the thing that makes them look so pretty), they are more susceptible to becoming loose or damaged from normal wear and tear.

I think they are lovely, but better left worn alone.

Thanks for the heads up. I am definately not getting this ring to wear alone. I am specifically getting it to stack with my engagement ring and wedding band.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1327718172|3113561 said:
I would say it would be the opposite...the more diamonds, the MORE sparkle. That is exactly why I prefer the shared prong..one sparkly row of diamonds rather than seeing a gap with a big metal prong.

Why get Memoire over BG? Because they specialize in making this kind of ring and they make very low settings.

"Most of our mountings are made using the hot extrusion process. Before a mounting is cut, the chosen metal is pushed through a tube with enormous force and heat. This pressure eliminates porosity (air bubbles) from the metal. The result is a platinum or 18K gold mounting that is solid throughout, strong, hard and exceptionally durable. A standard cast mounting starts with liquid metal that is poured into a mold. As the metal cools and hardens, air can be trapped on the inside causing pits and porosity, which could weaken the finished product. Mémoire’s extruded mountings are laser cut for exactness directly from metal that has undergone the hot extrusion process, eliminating this problem. This process creates the strongest possible prongs to secure the diamonds and precious stones, and a more durable overall ring, designed to last a lifetime."

http://memoire.com/index.aspx?par=metal#

The thing is, if BG makes you a custom ring, can you return it if you don't like it? At least with the Memoire, you could try them on before ordering if you can locate a seller. Pearlman's might send you a sample ring to try, but you'd have to call and check. They probably do offer the lowest prices (ask for pricescope discount).

That said, BG might be able to make a perfect ring for you. I am always a little cautious when someone wants a custom item that the vendor hasn't made before (in your case, a super low setting, and I am not sure whether he has done single prongs). That really is the only reason I am mentioning all this.

Thanks for all the advice. Gives me lots to think about. I doubt I could return the ring that BGD makes. But I'm also not sure how I would get a ring to me in Canada and back to the USA to Pearlman's just to try on a Memoire. Especially if BGD has my rings right now. Grrr. I wish I would have done this investigating before I sent my rings off.

In the store today one thing was for sure: the Ritani (single prong) definately had more sparkle that the other two rings (shared prong). It could have been that the Ritani stones were better stones to begin with.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

sirbenson|1327720324|3113588 said:
blueiris|1327712882|3113504 said:

I didn't see that thread but I took a look just now. I don't really like that style of eternity ring? Is that called bead set?

I believe it's pave, but I could be incorrect.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also prefer the shared prong. Makes me look at the diamonds, not the spaces.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

I love single prong. I love that I can see the roundness of each diamond and I love the scalloped edge effect, I think it's so pretty and feminine.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

Porridge|1327723133|3113607 said:
I love single prong. I love that I can see the roundness of each diamond and I love the scalloped edge effect, I think it's so pretty and feminine.

I have good and bad points for each style at this point. But some of the good points for single prong are like you mentioned...each stone is distinct and its roundness is emphasized.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I like them both. The middle band is very pretty and I prefer that one up close. From a distance, I prefer the Ritani because I like seeing the individual diamonds. but I am bias of course because I have the Ritani :))

Btw, I was just at a jewelry store yesterday where they had both the Memoire and the Ritani. Memoire has a dead ringer for the Ritani. The only difference is that the one I saw was platinum and it was WAY lighter than my 18k band. There is more metal on the sides of the Ritani that give it a more substantial feel. I think Memoire might have a better warranty though.

Just remember, depending on how much your prongs will stick out, my engagement ring prongs are being eaten by the band.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock

I'm with you on the single prong. IMO, the shared prong with the prongs at the tops and bottoms of the stones squares them off and has a bit of a channel-set look to me. I'd rather just get a channel-set, for that look, which is safer to wear with an e-ring. If I want the look of individual stones, I'd rather do the single-prong, and I do like the scallopy-ness of it and agree that it looks more delicate. I just prefer the emphasis on individual stones. BUT, you'd want to get a very slim spacer band to protect your other rings from the edges of the diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

heraanderson|1327724424|3113618 said:
I like them both. The middle band is very pretty and I prefer that one up close. From a distance, I prefer the Ritani because I like seeing the individual diamonds. but I am bias of course because I have the Ritani :))

Btw, I was just at a jewelry store yesterday where they had both the Memoire and the Ritani. Memoire has a dead ringer for the Ritani. The only difference is that the one I saw was platinum and it was WAY lighter than my 18k band. There is more metal on the sides of the Ritani that give it a more substantial feel. I think Memoire might have a better warranty though.

Just remember, depending on how much your prongs will stick out, my engagement ring prongs are being eaten by the band.

I really think this is so important to consider. You'd pretty much have to wear the Grace wedding band between the e-ring and the diamond band. I love that look, but be sure you do!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sirbenson|1327720046|3113585 said:
Darn I didn't realize I posted this question twice :( Silly computer. How do I get this deleted?

you hit the report concern button at the top and ask the mod's to delete this....I did this once and they were pretty quick to remove it.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

I'm just wondering though, I know that eternity bands can eat away at e-ring prongs. BUT if the eternity band is made in a way so that it is low set, wouldn't there be a possibility that it wouldn't eat away at the prongs?

Also, in terms of which ring to wear where....I don't like the look of two rings stacked under my my e-ring at all. I wouldn't wear it that way because it just looks unbalanced and unsymmetrical to me. I'd do wedding band on top, e-ring in the middle, and then eternity ring on the bottom, cloeset to my hand. I wouldn't be open to putting the wedding band between the e-ring and the eternity ring. The only thing I'd consider is a teensy spacer. But how tiny could these be made? 1 mm?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Would you be open to soldering to prevent damage?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sirbenson|1327758755|3113749 said:
I'm just wondering though, I know that eternity bands can eat away at e-ring prongs. BUT if the eternity band is made in a way so that it is low set, wouldn't there be a possibility that it wouldn't eat away at the prongs?
Also, in terms of which ring to wear where....I don't like the look of two rings stacked under my my e-ring at all. I wouldn't wear it that way because it just looks unbalanced and unsymmetrical to me. I'd do wedding band on top, e-ring in the middle, and then eternity ring on the bottom, cloeset to my hand. I wouldn't be open to putting the wedding band between the e-ring and the eternity ring. The only thing I'd consider is a teensy spacer. But how tiny could these be made? 1 mm?

If it is set low enough it doesnt eat at the prongs but eats at the shank instead. Maybe not as bad as eating at prongs because
it will not cause you to loose your stone but it will still cause damage to your engagement ring.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

I also MUCH prefer the single-prong look! I think it looks far more delicate and feminine with the scalloped-edge look that others have mentioned.

These are some photos I took ages ago when I was trying on rings. One solitaire is 1ct and the other is 0.50 but it gives you a good idea of what they look like with a solitaire ring. As others have mentioned though, you will need a spacer, you can definitely get very thin (under 1mm) ones from etsy -I think a few PSers have one from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/junedesigns

IMG_5282.jpg
IMG_5285.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results