shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, knowing that old stones usually check out to be less than what's promised, here are the stats claimed.

center 1c
sides .67
eight 15 pointers
plus pave
Platinum

F/VS (I'm dubious on the F after what I've read around here.) Old mine.

Brooch is 1 inch by 2 inches.

Price, $4300. Keep in mind, the tough part is finding 3 that work together. I did buy it, have yet to receive and verify it, and am on the fence, so...

Let her rip, don't be shy!

Brooch1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price is great if the stones look good in person. A deal for a stone around the .90 to 1ct mark is about $1700 to $2000. Stones around the .65ct mark for a good deal are around $1000. Of course, that is not necessarily matching, and it is a PITA to find three OECs that look good together.

Center looks promising but the culet looks a little off center? ETA: I would be tempted to use those little guys as the sides and make the outer bigger ones studs 8)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I don't really have anything constructive to say....but oooooooooh I am jealous! You can do a three stone and then a half eternity with the 15 pointers. :Up_to_something: mmmmmmmmm.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dreamer and AW. Yes, I think the culet looks off center too. I have one more pic and will get it up later.

I have studs (.4's each) so I don't think I want studs. I want a big three stone, lol. Actually, I was thinking a bigger stone, but my e-ring is a 1 c and I don't want TGuy to be sad that that I'm more fixated by a 2c on my right hand. I was thinking of using the 15 points to create a band to match.

This a crapshoot, since I don't have much to go on, and I've read enough here to know that things usually don't pan out in terms of color/clarity, but I think the center is pretty.

They said 3 day return, but agreed to 7.

ETA, AW, I just saw your suggestion of the half eternity...great minds!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Culet looks more centered on this one.

brooch2.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I was surprised this brooch was listed for so long because the pattern looked pretty nice to me. No dark spots at all, and pretty well cut.

Matching 3 mine cut diamonds is super hard, so assuming they check out to be H/I-VS or better, then you did a great job. If they turn out to be F-G, then you did a super great job. Not to mention you have all the extra diamonds. I have 9 oecs between .50-2ct, and not a single one of them match in patterns. Go figure.

Who are you taking it to? I've taken mine to Ari at Singlestone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1327481715|3111205 said:
I was surprised this brooch was listed for so long because the pattern looked pretty nice to me. No dark spots at all, and pretty well cut.

Matching 3 mine cut diamonds is super hard, so assuming they check out to be H/I-VS or better, then you did a great job. If they turn out to be F-G, then you did a super great job. Not to mention you have all the extra diamonds. I have 9 oecs between .50-2ct, and not a single one of them match in patterns. Go figure.

Who are you taking it to? I've taken mine to Ari at Singlestone.

Thanks FK. I was going to take it to Patrick Davis, as I heard about his name here. Do you think Ari would be a better choice?

I appreciate the feedback from the ebay queen. ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and maybe because it didn't come up in a typical search? I had been looking for awhile with a lot of search options, but I finally did one on a whim for "edwardian platinum" and this came up. I don't think it's edwardian, but whatever!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I've always taken it to Ari during my lunch break because he'll look at it for free and make sure it's a real diamond and as described. ;-) But you probably want a proper appraisal for yours. If I ever get off my lazy cheap ass, I'd take it to Patrick Davis as well! If for some reason this doesn't check out, I might have a good candidate for a 3 stone. The seller is semi-local to us.

I admit it makes me sad to see this taken apart. I get really attached to old pieces.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1327482280|3111210 said:
I've always taken it to Ari during my lunch break because he'll look at it for free and make sure it's a real diamond and as described. ;-) But you probably want a proper appraisal for yours. If I ever get off my lazy cheap a$$, I'd take it to Patrick Davis as well! If for some reason this doesn't check out, I might have a good candidate for a 3 stone. The seller is semi-local to us.

I admit it makes me sad to see this taken apart. I get really attached to old pieces.

Thanks FK. I'm doing a verbal appraisal for this and will get it properly done once it's taken apart. I do need a full appraisal for my pad ring though...never got that done.

And I know...it's pretty, although not quite my style. It's the stone that made me LQQK, not the brooch itself. And that's if it turns out to be what they said it was, which is "1800s Edwardian. I don't know much about period pieces, but I am thinking this isn't it.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
When will you receive it? I want to see some better pics! It'll be nice and sunny this week too, perfect for pictures.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a lovely brooch! You definitely did well if the stones pan out even close to what they told you they are. Can't wait to hear your "in person" impressions and see some more photos!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think it is beautiful and I have to say I hate to see it taken apart. :(( I think it is sad that so many of the higher color OEC's were recut into modern stones, and I think it is going to be sad when there are few fine period pieces left. But I realize most people wouldn't have use for it even as a pendant.

But your project sounds nice, TGal, and I hope it works out for you, nevertheless! :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1327473241|3111175 said:
I don't really have anything constructive to say....but oooooooooh I am jealous! You can do a three stone and then a half eternity with the 15 pointers. :Up_to_something: mmmmmmmmm.

Same here.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to pay for it first, and I haven't figured out how to pay for this after I accepted their counteroffer....

Yes, I do think it's pretty and it is a shame to take it apart. So for now, let's say I won't make any decisions until I see it.

Thank you everyone for your input. The seller was lovely (she doesn't own the piece, however), so we'll see how this whole thing pans out.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1327506261|3111359 said:
armywife13|1327473241|3111175 said:

Same here.
Me three. I'm having a really hard time collecting old 15 pointers that are F/G (most on eBay are H/I which are lovely, but I want to match my current collection which is more D-G...) Dang I wish there is a PM function on the forum.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take it to ari, even if you do unset the stone to make a 3 stone Aril may be willing to buy the setting snd put his own stones in it and sell still as a period piece. My local antique jeweler does that a lot with old pieces where folks have cashed out the diamonds. I think if the stones match up it would be beautiful as a 3stone and with an eternity band

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mrs. Salvo, that is a good idea.

Sapphirering, lol...I already have one person in line for the 15 pointers if I don't use them. I had no idea they were so hard to find....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that brooch!!! :love: :love: I would take it to Ari too!!!

eta: thank goodness you will decide about taking it apart after you see it. It looks like a real treasure.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
That brooch is amazing and I am going to say I think it would be a travesty to take apart such a gorgeous piece. From the pictures, it certainly looks like an original piece that transitions from Edwardian to Deco. There are stones to be found in hideous settings AND loose. Keep searching and keep this intact!

Just my 2 cents.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sphenequeen|1327516223|3111471 said:
That brooch is amazing and I am going to say I think it would be a travesty to take apart such a gorgeous piece. From the pictures, it certainly looks like an original piece that transitions from Edwardian to Deco. There are stones to be found in hideous settings AND loose. Keep searching and keep this intact!

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks sphenequeen. I will promise not to do anything until I get it, look at it, have it professionally checked out, etc. ;))

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal|1327516568|3111474 said:

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks sphenequeen. I will promise not to do anything until I get it, look at it, have it professionally checked out, etc. ;))

Good to hear! (and hearty ditto to sphenequeen) It looks original and is a gorgeous piece.
Tgal-the stones look nice, but just letting you know that matched 3 stone old cut rings can be found! My bezel three stone came to me as an original piece with matched cuts. So, if this doesn't work out, they are out there! (not that I'm biased about keeping this piece intact or anything... :cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327517047|3111480 said:
TravelingGal|1327516568|3111474 said:

Just my 2 cents.

Good to hear! (and hearty ditto to sphenequeen) It looks original and is a gorgeous piece.
Tgal-the stones look nice, but just letting you know that matched 3 stone old cut rings can be found! My bezel three stone came to me as an original piece with matched cuts. So, if this doesn't work out, they are out there! (not that I'm biased about keeping this piece intact or anything... :cheeky:

Well, I wish I were a brooch wearer (OK, I'd be one if I had the RHR ring that I've wanted!). But now that this is out there, who is to say if I returned it, it'd stay intact for the next buyer? Hm....

The seller (who again doesn't own it) said (when I noted that it looked really pretty), "It's not pretty. It's GORGEOUS."

So, who wants a brooch? lol...........

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be interested to see what the appraiser says re it being a true 1800's piece... it looks in EXCELLENT condition and I have a feeling it was remade in the 1900's maybe to match an original old piece from the 1800's. It just looks too white and clean to be a true 1800's piece...even the metal seems well-worked. Just my thoughts though. And while I love the idea of not taking apart period pieces... yeah as a brooch it's not exactly useful, esp for that price, lol. I'd take out the large stones and resale the piece to someone who would put colored stones or other diamonds in it. Then it's preserving the piece itself and just removing the diamonds.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Love that brooch! I would so wear it as a pendant. :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, for those who want to check out the back. If it helps guess it's originality.

I will admit, the whole brooch really made me stare and stare...but it's so not my STYLE. My style is industrial, austere, no nonsense. This is just too lovely for someone like me to wear, hehehehe.

brooch003.jpg

brooch004.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I've been loving downton abbey recently. Maybe I should start dressing like them...this would go well.........

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It doesn't look like a piece from the 1800s, no, but it could be an Edwardian or Art Deco piece...early 1900s through the 1930s. Remember, brooches don't get the same wear as rings or bracelets, and a brooch of this quality is likely to stay intact. You'd be surprised at the condition of some older, well-kept pieces.

In any case, I'm not surprised that there are date/period discrepancies in a listing, yup.

Downton Abbey, yes! ...oh and the brooch is Baa-aack... :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results