shape
carat
color
clarity

Under 1ct Leon Mege Beauties...Anyone??

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone come across photos of <1ct diamond in a Leon setting?

I haven't noticed any here and I'd love to see some as I prepare for my reset. I don't know if they exist and not sure if Leon bothers with anything so "small".... :))

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there, you can do a filter on Leon's site. BTW, mine is a 1.26 and in Leon's world that was TINY. I mean, insignificant tiny.

Scint....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh man, does LM turn down setting jobs because he feels the stone is too small?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Leon's work is not cheap and most people aren't willing to invest a large portion of their budget on his settings.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
LM recently turned down my request to re-set my 1.03ctw studs :nono:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1326767581|3104803 said:

Wow! That's terrible! I guess he's in demand. But his reputation isn't very good as far as being pleasant. Good thing he gas amazing talent... :-o

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

Seriously? :nono:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say forge ahead - don't be discouraged!!!!! Can't wait to see it when it's all done!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1326766827|3104786 said:
Leon's work is not cheap and most people aren't willing to invest a large portion of their budget on his settings.

Very true, I guess typically most of his clients spending that kind of cash on a setting only tend to have larger stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What style setting are you considering?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
You might as well ask - after all I know he's set a lab created diamond and I believe that he has set CZs as well. I think its more about size than cost if that makes sense....

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add that I think Charmy is right on.

I had quite a good experience with Leon with my engagement ring. My husband and I went down to New York to meet with him in person. He was pleasant, sat down with us, went through his look book. It was very nice. We differed in opinion about the donut on my ring or my preference for a lack of one. If I had to do it over again, I'd just take his advise and do a small one.

I did call him in 2008 to talk about my idea for an eternity ring set with 3 rounds and one baguette. He really didn't like this idea so I didn't pursue it.

He's very good at what he does. I don't think he's afraid to steer customers away from ideas he thinks won't work. His pieces are quality. Over the years, I've had SO many people compliment the quality of my ring. It was one of my first "real" pieces of jewelry, so I'm really glad we went with something so fine quality. I've never regretted having him do my setting. I am, however, forever spoiled and finicky. No Mall stores for moi. I am saving up for a Leon Mege Eternity to go with my ering. I'm thinking two sided pave. Flat side against my ering.

Here is Family Stone's thread, he set a family .76 Old Mine Brilliant. The results were beautiful and really special and meaningful: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pics-are-in-leon-mege-halo-set-w-old-familystone.44784/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pics-are-in-leon-mege-halo-set-w-old-familystone.44784/[/URL]

Here's the full Leon Mege Thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege.24698/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege.24698/[/URL]

My setting way back when was about $2200. He charges that for an eternity ring now, so my ring would be I dunno how much....

Personally, I do think some of these large stones (2+ carat key stones) with lots of pave can be a little gaudy. I think smaller stones set with pave is sweeter, more vintage, more of a stylish statement. I think big stones should really speak for themselves and be set more simply. I'm not saying no pave, just tasteful. Anyone with me?

CharmyPoo|1326766827|3104786 said:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of us who have had very pleasant experiences working with Leon. He set my 1.29 ct asscher. But his pave settings are expensive and most people don't want half of their ring budget going towards the setting, especially when there is so much talk about upgrading to something bigger in the not-so-distant future.

If you want to use him, call and ask for a quote. His works best when you already like his style not just his workmanship. If you like something he's already done things will go well.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your comments ladies!

My FI is willing to spend some money on a new setting for me, so the cost isn't really an issue. It's the Leon "look" I'm going for. There's something about the smoothness and sleekness of his pave settings that make me swoon.

Ultimately I will most likely be going with GOG because they are incredibly helpful and eager. I just hope they can produce the same kind of smooth pave look I really want. I'm horrified by some of the stories here about the attitude over at LM. I mean, I understand artistic integrity and all, BUT....

I've attached a photo of what I'm looking for with apologies to the owners whose photos I lifted for "inspiration". The photo on the green apple captures what I want in the way of "smooth" pave, for lack of a better word.

pave%204.jpg

Barbara%20pave%201.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got pricing from him for both my .86 and my 1.15 and he had no commentary on the size of the stone. What talked me out of working with him was the fact that he:

1. Doesn't stand by his work if you intend to wear it with a wedding band and flat out told me so. Besides that, there have been complaints on here regarding similar things.

2. Doesn't "allow" you to have input on the design. If I am paying for the item, and I ask for it to be a specific way, and a specific height, that's what I better get. I don't give a crap that you're an "artist". I am too. And I am also the one paying for it. So do it how I asked for it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
beebrisk|1326902149|3105878 said:
Thanks for all your comments ladies!

My FI is willing to spend some money on a new setting for me, so the cost isn't really an issue. It's the Leon "look" I'm going for. There's something about the smoothness and sleekness of his pave settings that make me swoon.

Ultimately I will most likely be going with GOG because they are incredibly helpful and eager. I just hope they can produce the same kind of smooth pave look I really want. I'm horrified by some of the stories here about the attitude over at LM. I mean, I understand artistic integrity and all, BUT....

I've attached a photo of what I'm looking for with apologies to the owners whose photos I lifted for "inspiration". The photo on the green apple captures what I want in the way of "smooth" pave, for lack of a better word.

pave%204.jpg

Barbara%20pave%201.jpg

if you want a really 'smooth' pave look then I would recommend going with someone who has made similar rings that you like the pave work of...perhaps check out Steven Kirsch? he used to work for Leon but now has his own shop

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love and respect GOG as a vendor but if you are wanting Leon quality pave then I would stick with Leon or Steven K. I would also include Victor Caneta in that list. Sure, there are poor reviews here about Leon ( and just about every designer/artist) but there is an equal number of folks who had a great experience with him so you just might fall into that group.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
LM has been fantastic with me... i don't think size is an issue with him... i have 3 rings that are around 1 carat from LM... 1 is my wife's ER, 1.23 Royal Asscher in pink halo... 2 is a 1.01 Fancy Light Yellow RB in 3 stone setting with pear sides... 3 is a 1.07 Fancy Brown Pink Cushion in split shank halo...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't purchased anything from Leon but I have spoken to him by telephone a few times. He was always very friendly and polite to me. I think he must just click with some people and not others. Its a shame because he has lost a lot of custom by this reputation he has.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't think he's lost any business lol!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1326921503|3106118 said:

There have been lots of people post here over the years who have said they were thinking of working with Leon but changed their mind when they found out about his attitude :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1326922703|3106137 said:
ame|1326921503|3106118 said:

There have been lots of people post here over the years who have said they were thinking of working with Leon but changed their mind when they found out about his attitude :))
True but I bet he's got plenty of people who don't post here flocking!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Um. Was this after you blasted him all over the boards and said that he lies about hand forging his rings, that his pave wasn't any good, and that his workmanship is shoddy?

Cause I'm thinking it's not the size of the stones he had an issue with but the character of the owner.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1326933478|3106294 said:

Um. Was this after you blasted him all over the boards and said that he lies about hand forging his rings, that his pave wasn't any good, and that his workmanship is shoddy?

Cause I'm thinking it's not the size of the stones he had an issue with but the character of the owner.

This was uncalled for.

Edit: I don't post a lot, but I do read a lot, and I always find Frankie's opinions to be helpful and honest without overstepping. Your response, however, comes off rather malicious.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ame - Leon does take what we want into account. He spent 3 hours discussing design ideas while I couldn't make up my mind. He didn't complain at all and I didn't find him difficult to work with. I am not an easy customer but I was pleased with the work I received from him.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
asymons412|1326934282|3106303 said:
This was uncalled for.

Edit: I don't post a lot, but I do read a lot, and I always find Frankie's opinions to be helpful and honest without overstepping. Your response, however, comes off rather malicious.

While Gypsy's post was a bit harsh, there is underlying truth to it. It is likely that Leon rejected the work because of previous history with the customer rather than the size of the stone. This is completely unrelated to the helpfullness of Frankie's post but it is understanable that a vendor does not want to work with a customer that wasn't happy with their previous work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results