shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the SQ footage of your current home?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The house we're renting is around 750 square feet. (Built in the late 1700s, early 1800s!)

We just moved here from a huge loft apartment (I think it was 1200+ but felt much larger), and the house we sold in order to move was 1500 square feet. We're getting rid of so much crap and I love it!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
3160 sq. ft., 2-story colonial w/very nice woodwork inside -- wide crown molding & wainscotting, French doors to patio. We've been here 9 yrs -- unfortunately I discovered after we moved in that it was a spec house when built in 1988 & it's a piece of crapola quality-wise. Our appraisor caught most things wrong but new ones keep popping up. By the time we sell it, we will have completely rebuilt the sucker one issue at a time. $$$$$!

I want to downsize to around 2000 sq. ft. ASAP, tired of taking care of it, including an acre of yard. Can't get DH with the program though.

--- Laurie

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
No idea of the square footage but its a 1930's 4 bed with a big back garden. The previous owners appear to have decorated once in the 1970's and not touched it since, so we have got some serious work to do which startsin a month or so including some moving of walls and removing the ugliest fireplace (not original) I have ever seen.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our house is just shy of 4000 sq. ft. on half an acre. We had it built new about 5.5 years ago, don't recall the price exactly but it was in the realm of $550k.

That's MY house. DH's house is the 1200 sq. ft. double storey garage out the back :bigsmile: He's such a boy!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
IN general conversation it's clearly uncouth to ask about such things. I figured it was really more of a how much do you get where you are? kind of question. For instance my 1600ish square feet would go for a quarter of what I paid or 5 times what I paid depending where you put it! Similarly the number reflects nothing unless you know the COL of the area the person is in.

Now, if a "friend" that was local asked I'd clutch my pearls and change the subject!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs. taylor|1326372777|3101109 said:
IN general conversation it's clearly uncouth to ask about such things. I figured it was really more of a how much do you get where you are? kind of question. For instance my 1600ish square feet would go for a quarter of what I paid or 5 times what I paid depending where you put it! Similarly the number reflects nothing unless you know the COL of the area the person is in.

Now, if a "friend" that was local asked I'd clutch my pearls and change the subject!

:lol:

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Our house is 1263 sq/ft and is the perfect size for me, DH, our dog, and our rabbit. This April will be our 6th anniversary of buying this house. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath and has a nifty "workshop" not included in the sq ft that DH has turned into a ... wait for it ... jewelry studio!!!! I am so thrilled! :tongue: :Up_to_something: :saint:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is 2527 sq ft 1 1/2 story on a .25 acre waterfront lot on a 1200 acre private lake in the southern part of Mississippi. We built it in 1999 so our cost was about 1/2 of it's current value of about 350K.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Its really interesting to see the variation in price for houses of similar size.

We're currently renting a 1600 square foot townhouse. We moved in late October when I started a new job. Where I live, housing prices are still going up so buying anything decent is out of the question right now. A middle unit townhouse on our street recently sold for 360k. We're an end unit with more space and a larger garage so I would think it would be more expensive. We rent it for less than half of the monthly cost of owning it so I'm not in a rush to buy.

My sister bought a much smaller house in the city for over 400k. My MIL has an almost identical house in the UK and she payed close to 600k when you take the conversion in to account.

When it comes to houses, location is everything!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3051. Two story. Been here a little over seven years. Paid way more than it is worth now, but luckily (?) put a large down payment on it, so we are not too upside down.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1326339521|3100925 said:
Ours is 1,050 square feet with a basement of the same square footage. Paid $38,200 for it because it was a foreclosure and was an EXTREME fixer-upper (we gutted and replaced just about everything). My dad can pretty much do anything (carpentry, roofing, plumbing, electrical, etc) so we spent about $15,000 on the supplies for the repairs and my dad, DH, and I worked on the house every day after work for 4 months before we could move in. It was depressing and I would never do it again but we are grateful now that we went this route. We could have probably afforded something bigger but I didn't want more house to have to clean and I like having extra cash for other things (jewelry :wink2: , traveling, saving)...

stargurl, I'm in awe of your commitment! We were going to get a fixer upper - it was our first choice for a while, but the asking price was just too much for the work we'd have to do - it was adorable though. Cute (if slightly odd) house, cute neighbourhood, cute land, cute puppy next door ::)

Our realtor was dead set against it. She told us we may as well buy the house and rent an apt for a year, because with both of us starting new jobs and no handy family in town we'd never get anything done on it... I admit now that she was right!! We've just got *this* house into fully working order and it took us three months! We did still get the cute puppy next door ::)

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Just under 2400 sqft, three story split level. We bought it 15 months ago, and it is definitely a "worst house in a great neighborhood" kind of house. It is in livable shape, but all the decor was straight out of the 60s when it was built. We've slowly been fixing it up though!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Our house is 2600 square feet, 2 stories. We paid way more than I'd like, since we live in the DC area and bought 6 years ago, near the top of the bubble. God willing, we'll stay here at least 15 more years until the kids are gone, so I try not to worry too much about the way prices have gone down since we bought.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
2,600 sq feet
Purchased 4 months ago
2 stories + finished basement
Not saying how much we paid

We are the opposite of of stephb0lt, we probably have the best house on a crappy block. We have a lovely pool and our house is a bit larger than most on the street. Our neighbors call the area "up and coming." In other words, it used to be the projects but they bulldozed the area and started putting up cookie-cutter houses. Our neighbors are eclectic. In St. Louis, you're pretty much always two blocks from a shady area. I hate that I can't walk around outside after dark without feeling very unsafe, but I love that we live about five minutes from downtown.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1326366186|3101074 said:
The house we're renting is around 750 square feet. (Built in the late 1700s, early 1800s!)

We just moved here from a huge loft apartment (I think it was 1200+ but felt much larger), and the house we sold in order to move was 1500 square feet. We're getting rid of so much crap and I love it!

Thing2, I didn't realize you lived in an 18th century home--so do we! I have the heating bills to prove it :)

Our house is a 3,100 SF antique that sits on an acre and a half. We've been there about 18 months and I vary between loving it and wanting to change everything depending on what day you ask. We paid a fair price :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh I envy you, Thing2 & NEL. Have always wanted an antique house (complete w/ghost would be ok) -- I grew up in one that was 200 yrs. old (complete w/ghost). Trouble is, as NEL says & for more reasons than heat, bring money! The perfect scenario is to find one that somebody already renovated -- without sacrificing anything antique AND for a price I could afford! In my dreams.

--- Laurie

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

This made me laugh out loud!! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is me when I saw this thread.

ClutchPearls.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I bought my condo just over 2 years ago. It's 1330sf and I paid $140k. It was HUD owned foreclosure. The original owners paid about $240k for it when it was builing in late 2007.

It was the perfect condo for me. But then I got married and DH moved in...and now we have a baby on the way. Defnitely need to move into a house.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1326361438|3101069 said:
Overlooking the obvious discourtesy of asking about price, I can say that we live in a single storey house, and have been here for around ten years now.

I can't tell you how many square feet of space there is though. I have no idea, I don't think I ever asked. I did not know that was a fact that people had to hand, in fact. It was probably listed it on the estate agent's catalogue, but if it was, I don't recall the figure.
i can ask any Q's but you don't have to answer... :tongue: btw; how much did you paid for your Ering?... :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1326381147|3101186 said:

Thing2, I didn't realize you lived in an 18th century home--so do we! I have the heating bills to prove it :)

Our house is a 3,100 SF antique that sits on an acre and a half. We've been there about 18 months and I vary between loving it and wanting to change everything depending on what day you ask. We paid a fair price :)

Ha, I'm hoping the miniature scale of the house will keep the heating bill in check, but we shall see! It seems surprisingly well insulated, so I'm hoping for the best!

I'm in Philly and as you would imagine there are TONS of antique homes here. I actually looked at a house built in the early 1700s (to rent, not to buy) but that one was a smidge too antique for me! :cheeky: It was pretty awesome, though. We'll probably end up buying in the same neighborhood we're currently renting in, so I would imagine we'll end up with a house built around the same time as our rental.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1326395145|3101390 said:
NewEnglandLady|1326381147|3101186 said:

Ha, I'm hoping the miniature scale of the house will keep the heating bill in check, but we shall see! It seems surprisingly well insulated, so I'm hoping for the best!

I'm in Philly and as you would imagine there are TONS of antique homes here. I actually looked at a house built in the early 1700s (to rent, not to buy) but that one was a smidge too antique for me! :cheeky: It was pretty awesome, though. We'll probably end up buying in the same neighborhood we're currently renting in, so I would imagine we'll end up with a house built around the same time as our rental.

Such a beautiful city! I have only visited once, and for a short stay, but I'd love to go back. We have a 19th century house, and yes, it takes quite some heating. We upgraded the insulation and it made a huge difference, so you might be lucky.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We rent an approximately 1300 sq ft house (it's a ranch with a basement).

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Ours is older as well and a PAIN to heat. So expensive! We finally built the bullet and had a woodstove installed. It's not only gorgeous, it's made all the difference in the world. Where we struggled to keep the house at 62 before it's now easily around 74, and less expensive per month by half. I'm in LOVE.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We paid $270 per sq. ft. when we purchased it in 2008.
I just looked up our town on Zillow, and currently, the average home in our town costs $269 per sq. ft.

We live in a very lovely, very expensive town. It was all about location, location, location when we purchased, and we're very happy here. We considered moving to a less desirable area to buy a larger home for the money, but I'm so glad we didn't.

I love our home. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Sometimes I regret owning a home at all, because I'm not sure owning suits our lifestyle, exactly, but if I have to own a home, this is exactly what I want.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House is around 1450 square feet (some documents say 1452, others say 1512?) bungalow. Bought 12 years ago for 74K, spent around $40K? in renovations (plus lots of sweat equity). House appraises for 190K.
I love all kinds of houses, looking at houses and reading the house threads, so I'm not shy about sharing my own experiences!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1700 Sqft

bought 4 (5?) years ago. Good price for the time. >400,000

Split level with 2 car garage.

we're in what you'd call the Seattle/eastside area.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mrs. taylor|1326399218|3101440 said:
Ours is older as well and a PAIN to heat. So expensive! We finally built the bullet and had a woodstove installed. It's not only gorgeous, it's made all the difference in the world. Where we struggled to keep the house at 62 before it's now easily around 74, and less expensive per month by half. I'm in LOVE.

We used to live in an old stone-built farmhouse and we had to do that too. Well, not install, but open up the old range that was built in originally. It was the only thing that heated that house. No amount of gas central heating, electric storage heaters, oil filled radiators or electric blankets ever took the chill and dampness away, but within an hour of the restored range being lit for the first time, I began to thaw out!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, Jennifer -- I wouldn't have thought that. Will remember if we ever buy an old one, learn something every day around here!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results