shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma on setting.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to sapphire gravel. I received a very nice chrysoberyl for Christmas. It is 3.8cts and a lovely fat little pear the only thing is I can't figure out how to set it. I like the James Allen petite bezel but I don't want to darken the stone. It is very bright and sparkly so I don't know if this will be an issue.

Next question, metal color. I tend to really like white metal but I just can't do it. I don't think it will do anything for the stone. Rose Gold? or Buttery yellow? The stone has a lot of apple green. Help!

chrys1.jpg

chrys2.jpg

Yellow-Gold-Pear-Shaped-Diamond-Ring.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful chyrsoberyl. You can't go wrong with 18K yellow gold for chrysoberyl, and it's also one of those stones that can be bezeled without going extinct.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Preg. Thanks for the links.

TL. I think it's really beautiful and sunny. Makes me happy to look at it. Do you think rose gold would work?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1325908630|3097052 said:
Preg. Thanks for the links.

TL. I think it's really beautiful and sunny. Makes me happy to look at it. Do you think rose gold would work?

Yellow gold is a safe choice. That being said, I have some chrysoberyls in rose gold as side stones. Here's a photo to give you an idea. Some people may like this or dislike this.

TLchyrsrosegold.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful chrysoberyl! I have no real opinion on the gold color... they all look like they do such different things for the stone, based on the other thread. I will say most of my apple green stones, I plan to set in yellow gold, as I think it makes them look even greener. But rose gold would give such contrast!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't like yellow stones in rose gold, so I would probably put it in green gold since you mentioned it seems to have a lot of green. Yellow gold works too.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Go for green if you want to bring that out in the stone, otherwise maybe yellow gold. I'd do yg, I think. I also prefer Chrono's more open setting rather than a bezel -- allows the pretty thing really to sparkle, but it's what you like that counts. Nice chryso -- you get good presents!

--- Laurie

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely chrysoberyl. What a wonderful Christmas prezzy! The James Allen setting is beautiful, and in yellow gold, I think it would really showcase your stone. Have you tried the trick where you wrap the outer edge of your stone in aluminum foil (representing the effect of bezeling) to see if the chrysoberyl darkens at all?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green gold as first choice, then YG as second. I think the pink/rose gold introduces a different element to the ring, that you may not be seeking. Sounds like you are looking for an enhancing effect, not a competing effect and in my mind, the rose gold (which is beautiful!) seems to compete w the colour saturation and hue of the chryso.

I like the smooth clean lines of the bezel, but I too would worry about not enough light return/darkening the stone. Could you semi bezel and leave the sides exposed? No idea of setting options for that.... but I'm sure they are out there!

Beautiful stone!

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I vote for green gold

Uragem

Rough_Rock
I'm new so I hope you won't mind my two cents! Not sure if my terminology is correct, so please excuse my ignorance. Do you like chevron "prongs"? Here are some pics. I love the open sides, and the weakest part of the stone is protected. I'd probably be inclined to go yg.

Where does one go to find a lovely DH that gives precious's for gifts? I'm thinking maybe I should upgrade...

Michael%20E%20Pear%20Setting.jpg

3Michael%20E%20Pear%20Setting.jpg

2Michael%20E%20Pear%20Setting.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
TL I like it with the rose gold but I will probably end up with green or buttery yellow gold.

Distracts: Thanks! I am indecisive about this setting which is rare, I usually have a distinct idea.

Jstarfireb: I will look into the green gold. I don't have many yellow stones but I do love this one.

JewelFreak: I have a very nice Fi who knows what I like and wants me to be happy! I have a feeling I will go for yellow gold even though the green sounds cool.

Aoife: I will try the aluminum foil trick. Thanks for the help and I like the stone too.

Enechi: I tried to find some semi bezels for a pear and had some luck but not exactly my taste. You are right about enhancing rather than contrasting the stone.

SomethingSinful: Only time will tell. hehe

Davi: That pink diamond is to die for and the setting is lovely as well!

Uragem: haha I found him in California. He is wonderful and I should tell him that more often. I don't really like the chevron thing but I do like the open sides for light return and to add sparkle. Thank you for your two cents, as for being new, we all have to start somewhere and welcome to PriceScope.

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful chrysoberyl! Another newbie here =) FWIW I think the James Meyer petite bezel you posted is ideal in that it will protect the point of the pear and also let in a lot of light because the bezel is petite - see underneath the stone in your pic - so it shouldn't darken. I'd vote for the yellow gold too. In fact. . . just as you've pictured it really :bigsmile:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that petite bezel idea and think it will stunning in yellow gold with your stone. I've been lusting after a bezeled pair for ages so can't wait to see what your final ring will look like.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a link to Mochi's gorgeous Chryso that she set in green gold [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-chrysoberyl-part-ii.110989/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-chrysoberyl-part-ii.110989/[/URL]

Your stone is more yellow than hers but this gives you an idea of what it might look like in green gold. From experience I would say that green gold doesn't really look "green" but it is a yellow gold with a tinge of green if that makes sense! My only hesitation in using it for an entire ring is that you may find it difficult to co-ordinate with other rings as the colour of the metal won't make that easy. However, it's unusual and stunning so that's the trade off!

I have a number of Chrysos and most are in yellow gold. I agree that w/gold doesn't do anything for them. I actually favour the setting of the bezel setting and clean lines you've posted and think it would look stunning in that design.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooh!!!! :love: :love: :love: Thanks for finding that thread LD! Beautiful colour combination - both compliment each other nicely.
That looks exactly like how I would envision Treenbean's stone in its new setting!

:wavey: Hope you like it Treenbean!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous pear chrysoberyl. An open setting, even if bezeled, should allow the stone to sparkle well. I don't think you can go wrong with the choice of rose, green or yellow gold. A white metal doesn't sit right with me on a chrysoberyl. Using rose, green and yellow gold will play up certain modifiers or play it down, depending on what you want. The other thing to note is that there could be several alloys of green and yellow gold, so you may have to see samples of it before making your final decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results