shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not find the Tiffany knife edge sharp at all. I think what bothered me more was the height of the shank. I am used to a maximum height of no more than 2mm on any of my rings, and that shank height was taller when I had on my Legacy band and the milgrain plain band. I would need to check on the shank height of the Vatche to see if it is lower. I might still go with their knife edge if the shank is lower. I do agree with MGR that a knife edge does have an attractive look when you look down at the ring, though. But I like the look of rounded shanks just as well.

BlueIris, thanks for the new info on MM's policies. I do agree in your case that the best route is through an appraiser. Not just any shared prong band will work with an e-ring. The Memoire bands and the Tiffany bands are set the lowest and I would be hesitant to try any others without a spacer band. The Vatche should be set high enough to wear a shared prong band safely, but I cannot tell you that 100% since I have not actually tried one on with my Memoire band. This is why this is so HARD!!!!

My H Levi setting is the one I posted on page 5 on this thread. It is wg and I prefer platinum, but I don't worry about mixing the metals if I wanted to use it.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1326211243|3099373 said:
This is what I come back to time and time again and I hear DancingFire's words that settings are just 'holders' with the most important part of the ring being the stone! It is hard to pay lots of money for a setting when deep down inside we know we'll never be totally satisfied with it anyhow because there are so many different looks to choose from and it's hard to say forever! When I've tried the Tiffany ring on in the store, I'm struck by how thin the knife edge shank looks but it does make the center stone look bigger. I don't find it terribly uncomfortable but I do wonder about the bands. I've always really liked their plain matching band too so who knows? I can see choosing the rounded shank instead of the knife edge as it's probably easier to pair with bands. It's a dilemma to be sure!

I've wondered about just what you said, MGR - will a knife edge shank work with flatter or rounder bands? I'm sure it's lovely with Tiffany's matching knife edge band, though!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment about paying lots of money for a setting with the risk that we won't be totally happy with it. When I told my husband that I wanted to change to a MM setting and get a diamond band also, and that I intended this would be my last setting, he didn't exactly laugh ... it was more of a polite smirk! :lol: But I have to approach it as if it is the last setting ever, because of the expense, and because of the angst. I don't want to put myself through this every year or two! Also, at the end of this, I want to be thrilled, not just "okay" with it. And that expectation definitely increases the worry factor, which is compounded when the cost is also very high (as with MM). Argh.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326213356|3099399 said:
I did not find the Tiffany knife edge sharp at all. I think what bothered me more was the height of the shank. I am used to a maximum height of no more than 2mm on any of my rings, and that shank height was taller when I had on my Legacy band and the milgrain plain band. I would need to check on the shank height of the Vatche to see if it is lower. I might still go with their knife edge if the shank is lower. I do agree with MGR that a knife edge does have an attractive look when you look down at the ring, though. But I like the look of rounded shanks just as well.

BlueIris, thanks for the new info on MM's policies. I do agree in your case that the best route is through an appraiser. Not just any shared prong band will work with an e-ring. The Memoire bands and the Tiffany bands are set the lowest and I would be hesitant to try any others without a spacer band. The Vatche should be set high enough to wear a shared prong band safely, but I cannot tell you that 100% since I have not actually tried one on with my Memoire band. This is why this is so HARD!!!!

My H Levi setting is the one I posted on page 5 on this thread. It is wg and I prefer platinum, but I don't worry about mixing the metals if I wanted to use it.

I like the look of the knife edge bands a lot. The Flame was my first MM choice for that reason, until I started reading about sharpness. So it's good to know that it didn't feel too sharp to you. But the height ... yes. I think I'd have to try it on, or see photos, to really know if I like the look of the taller shank with a flatter/rounded band.

Is it not only the height of the diamond band overall, but how far the diamonds are at the edge that matters, as far as chewing up the ring? It seems like both would matter when it comes to preventing "eating" of the ring. MM said that's why he puts more metal on his bead set rings. But from what I can see, both the Memoire and the Tiffany shared prong rings have the diamonds set so their edges are right at the sides of the ring. Since you have the Memoire you can definitely tell if my assumption is correct.

I like your H Levi setting! Why did you change to the Leon, if I may ask?

Nothing from Jon yet?

Editing to add another photo (or maybe it's the same one from earlier?) of Travel Goddess's gorgeous set (MM Flame e-ring, BGD band). In this photo you can see her e-ring stands a little higher than the band, but I don't mind at all. Of course, it might be more of a difference once the basket is raised to allow more clearance.

And editing again, because I just had a "duh!" moment. Your own photo, DS, of your cathedral H Levi ring with your Memoire band, shows the same sort of height difference (though maybe not the same degree) as a knife edge e-ring would when worn with a flatter band. Personally, I think your rings look really amazing together and the height difference doesn't bother me at all. Is that because it's a cathedral? I don't know - I just know that I think it looks great!

wbanderingpicforps1.jpg

New Rings 043a.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326213356|3099399 said:

I went back and looked at that setting again - somehow I didn't realize it was a six prong setting! It looks really pretty - do you think there would be significant differences between it and the Vatche? I'm guessing it's the head that would be really different?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Oh ... I just realized that you may mean the entire shank of the Tiffany ring was higher, all around the ring, not just the portion that is rising to form the knife edge (or in the case of your H Levi setting, the cathedral portion). Sorry for all my rambling if that's the case!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1326214598|3099409 said:
MissGotRocks|1326211243|3099373 said:
This is what I come back to time and time again and I hear DancingFire's words that settings are just 'holders' with the most important part of the ring being the stone! It is hard to pay lots of money for a setting when deep down inside we know we'll never be totally satisfied with it anyhow because there are so many different looks to choose from and it's hard to say forever! When I've tried the Tiffany ring on in the store, I'm struck by how thin the knife edge shank looks but it does make the center stone look bigger. I don't find it terribly uncomfortable but I do wonder about the bands. I've always really liked their plain matching band too so who knows? I can see choosing the rounded shank instead of the knife edge as it's probably easier to pair with bands. It's a dilemma to be sure!

I've wondered about just what you said, MGR - will a knife edge shank work with flatter or rounder bands? I'm sure it's lovely with Tiffany's matching knife edge band, though!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment about paying lots of money for a setting with the risk that we won't be totally happy with. When I told my husband that I wanted to change to a MM setting and get a diamond band also, and that I intended this would be my last setting, he didn't exactly laugh ... it was more of a polite smirk! :lol: But I have to approach it as if it is the last setting ever, because of the expense, and because of the angst. I don't want to put myself through this every year or two! Also, at the end of this, I want to be thrilled, not just "okay" with it. And that expectation definitely increases the worry factor, which is compounded when the cost is also very high (as with MM). Argh.

There are so many variations of settings but by and large you're getting another piece of metal with prongs - no more diamond weight. I guess that and having a drawer full of settings that you can't use makes me stop dead in my tracks everytime. It's not that I dislike what I have - quite the contrary - but different at times seems appealing. I just know that through all my swapping and trading that there would be things I'd like about new rings and things I wouldn't so would it really be worth it? It is expensive and it truly is wear and tear on your soul and you're right - you can just do this so many times. There are many other things to spend money on too so you truly do begin to weigh the pros and cons carefully. It will come to you eventually though whether or not to go through with it and if so, what rings. You're being slow and careful so that's a good thing - it's just a tough call!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with both of you that it is questionable whether to spend thousands on new settings unless we did know for sure they were exactly perfect!

I changed from the H Levi because I am pretty sure the head of that ring is meant for a 1.5 and it bothered me that my stone was too tight in it. The stone was right against part of the basket and you couldn't clean there. The shank height was a perfect match to the Memoire band. I think there is an illusion that they are different in the photos taken from an angle. If I got a diamond that had a slightly smaller diameter, it is very possible the stone would fit perfectly. This stone Jon is looking at today should be a perfect fit. So it might not be a bad idea to try it for awhile before shelling out a couple thousand for a new setting. I will have to think about that.

MGR, I actually loved the head of the H Levi. It is a lot like the Vatche Royal Crown head except the prongs are more delicate which I like better. The shank is a little wider and while perfect with the Memoire band, I am not sure it would look good with the Legacy band. I'll have to go try them all on!

Blueiris...the prongs of the e-ring need to start higher than the edge of the diamonds in the shared prong band. As long as there is a little doughnut at the base of the head of the e-ring, the low set diamonds of the shared prong band shouldn't scratch the e-ring. But again, I think only the Tiffany and Memoire small stones would work.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326218853|3099502 said:
I agree with both of you that it is questionable whether to spend thousands on new settings unless we did know for sure they were exactly perfect!

I changed from the H Levi because I am pretty sure the head of that ring is meant for a 1.5 and it bothered me that my stone was too tight in it. The stone was right against part of the basket and you couldn't clean there. The shank height was a perfect match to the Memoire band. I think there is an illusion that they are different in the photos taken from an angle. If I got a diamond that had a slightly smaller diameter, it is very possible the stone would fit perfectly. This stone Jon is looking at today should be a perfect fit. So it might not be a bad idea to try it for awhile before shelling out a couple thousand for a new setting. I will have to think about that.

MGR, I actually loved the head of the H Levi. It is a lot like the Vatche Royal Crown head except the prongs are more delicate which I like better. The shank is a little wider and while perfect with the Memoire band, I am not sure it would look good with the Legacy band. I'll have to go try them all on!

Blueiris...the prongs of the e-ring need to start higher than the edge of the diamonds in the shared prong band. As long as there is a little doughnut at the base of the head of the e-ring, the low set diamonds of the shared prong band shouldn't scratch the e-ring. But again, I think only the Tiffany and Memoire small stones would work.

Yes, I would definitely try all your bands on with the H. Levi. It looks beautiful and your description makes it sound even more so. Could be great for a long time or for the interim - guess it all depends on this stone. If this one doesn't sing to you, will you wait for Jon to get some more?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a stone I searched for and there is one other that I might be interested in him calling in. I am sort of on the fence about calling in more before seeing if my stone sells. If it goes on too long, I may just take my current one back because I don't like not having my e-ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326220261|3099538 said:
This was a stone I searched for and there is one other that I might be interested in him calling in. I am sort of on the fence about calling in more before seeing if my stone sells. If it goes on too long, I may just take my current one back because I don't like not having my e-ring!

And your current one is so beautiful - I'm ducking now - ha!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I don't know!!! I just got an email from him and the stone is not as perfectly cut as my other one, but he said visually it is hard to tell them apart. I just don't know where my level of perfection stops! It is almost impossible without seeing the stones!!! Is sacrificing a little perfection worth having a few thousand left that would allow me to buy another diamond or ring??? I don't know!!!! Help!!!!! Or I could go with a 1.35-1.4 that was perfect in every way and still have money left. Or I could be smart and do nothing until I see if the diamond sells relatively soon. :errrr:

I took a couple of quick (and poor quality) pictures of the H Levi with some of the other rings and I think it could work if I went with a 1.5. I am just not sure if I'd be happy long term if it isn't platinum, but on the other hand, this setting is very expensive now it is a waste not to either use it or sell it. That is just a cz plopped in the setting.

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it does not have to be as perfectly cut and I think we all know that now. We know that stones that aren't perfect in every sense are still very beautiful and we wouldn't know one was less than the other unless we were told. However, there are MIND issues and I don't know that you would be comfortable accepting something that you thought was less - even if you couldn't see it. In years to come, you could never put back the few thousand and go back to where you are with your current stone. I don't know if there is a specific diamond or ring you are looking for in addition to your ering but that might make a difference too. If you're just thinking there might be a random ring out there somewhere that you have yet to find, then it definitely wouldn't be worth it to me. At this point in the game, I wouldn't settle for something that I didn't think I would love 100%. There could be other stones, yours could sell, or you could just decide to keep what you have. I would definitely not consider the much smaller stone - I truly think somewhere along the line you would regret going down noticeably smaller.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that is what I needed to hear, along with reading my tagline below. I would be fine with 1.5 but I might regret going below that. The fluor. was what was giving me the discount on this stone, but I don't think I can be sure without seeing it and I am not sure he can send it to me since it was called in and he is not buying it for inventory. I sent him an email back asking more of his personal opinion, but unless he says it is a great stone and a great buy, then I might not be happy with it. He would not offer trade in on it, so I would have to be 100% sure.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, from everything I'm hearing it's a no. I remember how painstakingly you looked for your current stone so I know you would be unhappy if you settled for less - and I mean in a mind clean way rather than by visual comparison of the stone. Unfortunately, we've drunk too much of the PS Koolaid and just can't settle - know what I mean? If it were a 10k difference maybe you'd really consider it. Not worth it IMO for a new mounting. Another wonderful piece of jewelry maybe but only you could decide that.

Hugs to you - I know this stuff can be so emotional and draining!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, MGR!!! The price to me on this stone would be about $7k less than what I will get for my current stone, so the money is the primary tempting factor. But I think you are right regardless, unless Jon comes back with a stronger response for getting it.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I agree with everything MGR said. I think a few things really stand out for me in what MGR said: Do you have something specific in mind that you want to buy with any funds realized from the sale of your (gorgeous) 1.63? That might be a good reason to keep on considering this current stone or looking further for another. Second, I agree with MGR's advice for not going below 1.5, as I do think you'd regret it. Regarding the size of this particular stone, you didn't notice much difference in slightly smaller stones at Tiffany, and this one is just slightly smaller than yours as well, so it doesn't "satisfy", if you will, your thoughts about going to your original size goal of 1.3 or so.

Cut-wise, I also agree with MGR that you have to determine if it's well-cut enough for you. I remember reading somewhere that you searched and searched for your current stone's parameters. Once you find what you want, it's tough to give that up for "less well cut". I'm sure Jon could take a video for you, if it's not possible to send the stone. That doesn't really substitute for seeing it, but it might give you some idea. I keep coming back to this though: What plans do you have for the savings, if you sell your current stone and buy a less expensive one? And is that worth it, to you, to give up your 1.63?

About your H Levi setting: I would be bothered that it isn't platinum, but that is me, not you. Only you know if you'd like it as your permanent setting, but I do like it fine with both your Legacy band and your milgrain band, at least from what I can see in the photos. But if it's too small for your current stone, and you really do want to keep this setting to use, then you will need to go down in size for your diamond. If you're keeping it just because you don't know what else to do with it, then to me, it isn't worth it to go down in size with your stone just to use the setting. You could sell it, if you aren't going to use it (I sold a lot of gold last year and that's how I paid for my 5-stone ring).

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts and probably not much help! :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1326225488|3099659 said:
DS, I agree with everything MGR said. I think a few things really stand out for me in what MGR said: Do you have something specific in mind that you want to buy with any funds realized from the sale of your (gorgeous) 1.63? That might be a good reason to keep on considering this current stone or looking further for another. Second, I agree with MGR's advice for not going below 1.5, as I do think you'd regret it. Regarding the size of this particular stone, you didn't notice much difference in slightly smaller stones at Tiffany, and this one is just slightly smaller than yours as well, so it doesn't "satisfy", if you will, your thoughts about going to your original size goal of 1.3 or so.

Cut-wise, I also agree with MGR that you have to determine if it's well-cut enough for you. I remember reading somewhere that you searched and searched for your current stone's parameters. Once you find what you want, it's tough to give that up for "less well cut". I'm sure Jon could take a video for you, if it's not possible to send the stone. That doesn't really substitute for seeing it, but it might give you some idea. I keep coming back to this though: What plans do you have for the savings, if you sell your current stone and buy a less expensive one? And is that worth it, to you, to give up your 1.63?

About your H Levi setting: I would be bothered that it isn't platinum, but that is me, not you. Only you know if you'd like it as your permanent setting, but I do like it fine with both your Legacy band and your milgrain band, at least from what I can see in the photos. But if it's too small for your current stone, and you really do want to keep this setting to use, then you will need to go down in size for your diamond. If you're keeping it just because you don't know what else to do with it, then to me, it isn't worth it to go down in size with your stone just to use the setting. You could sell it, if you aren't going to use it (I sold a lot of gold last year and that's how I paid for my 5-stone ring).

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts and probably not much help! :D

I am so glad to have such wise advice when my brain is scrambled! I can give advice so much better than I can make decisions myself!!!

Oh, I always have a wishlist of things that I would buy! I had thought of a better 5 stone band, but after my older daughter said that she didn't love them, I decided that maybe I would wait on that idea as having two might not be necessary. I do like the one I have. I do want a diamonds by the yard necklace in platinum. I wouldn 't mind the diamond huggies or milgrain hoops. Of course, I can eventually get those things for future birthdays, Christmas, or anniversaries. There really aren't a lot of things that I want. I think it is the "deal" factor that attracts me...to get basically the same thing appearance-wise and come out with several thousand dollars to use for other things. But I do know myself well enough to know that when I have doubts, I should not go forward. Plus, I can't imagine spending any large sum of money without seeing the item in person. When we bought the 1.63, I had two stones sent here from GOG to compare. Both were in his superior collection, of course, so the only thing to decide was size. Both had a lifetime trade-in policy. This stone will not. So I see no way to commit to something I can't trade in without first seeing it! The other unknown is, if my diamond took another year to sell, would I be content to have no ring for that long? Probably not, although I could have that cz set in the H Levi setting and then sell it once I got my real ring. I do love platinum and want it, and the only reason I would use the H Levi would be as a temporary measure if I could not decide on another setting. I definitely don't want to keep a diamond in the drawer!

The conclusion I think I am coming to is that I really need to go to GOG when my diamond sells. Then I can try on every size stone and decide what I like best. And not only that, they have MM and Vatche settings and numerous others, so I could try on settings, too. I just need to decide what to do if my diamond doesn't sell in the next couple of months. But maybe we'll get to have a little PS get-together in NYC after all!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7k is nothing to sneeze at and you could buy other things for sure. I understand people selling their stones now for more than they paid but I think in order for it to make perfect sense, you have to have a plan of what to do with the money. In choosing a smaller stone and one with fluro, it makes getting something that is just about visually the same for less money. The truth though is that it is not the same because your current stone is a superior cut and it doesn't have fluro and it is priced accordingly. I'm not a fluro fan but we're all different and that's what makes the world go around. When I see these escalating diamond prices, I just feel very fortunate to have gotten what I did when I did. I'd rather have one nice thing than several other things but again, that's personal preference. In that way, I feel like I already got my deal - if that makes sense. Your strategy makes sense - as long as you can be perfectly okay with what you end up with - sort of like MrsSalvo's tagline that a deal is a deal ONLY if you're getting what you want. Once these stones are sold, there is no going back unless the bottom drops out of the market. I know I'm preaching to the choir here because I know you've considered all of these points. I just want you to be happy with however it turns out and be over the moon with whatever stone you end up with!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again, MGR! I quote MrsS's tagline all the time! She reminds me of it when I get off track, too! You are right about the great deal already happening in the first place. I wish all our investments did as well as that diamond did! These conditions will probably never happen again in our lifetime, so I should be thankful that I had the opportunity to get that stone when we did. I probably shouldn't consider changing it unless I go up there and see the options in person. I certainly would never be happy settling for something I didn't really love 100%, like you said.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326232469|3099796 said:
Thank you again, MGR! I quote MrsS's tagline all the time! She reminds me of it when I get off track, too! You are right about the great deal already happening in the first place. I wish all our investments did as well as that diamond did! These conditions will probably never happen again in our lifetime, so I should be thankful that I had the opportunity to get that stone when we did. I probably shouldn't consider changing it unless I go up there and see the options in person. I certainly would never be happy settling for something I didn't really love 100%, like you said.

DS, we're too long in the tooth now to be settling! :lol: We did that for years and years while raising kids and the whole nine yards! This is our time to make it exactly what we want it to be - I'm not criticizing your thoughts in any way - just really pointing out the obvious. I know you've thought about all of this too but I feel strongly that you have beautiful rings now and I don't want you to end up with anything less than beautiful!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I understand what you're saying. In a way, it seems like "free" money, since you had the diamond to wear and enjoy during the time you've had it, and other than the cost of your settings, you'll still come out somewhat ahead. It sounds like you've thought this through to this point, and will continue to think it through, so that is good. I will be very interested to hear what decision you make. In the meantime, I don't know whether to hope your stone sells, or hope it doesn't! I just don't want you to have ANY regrets.

When we found out from the appraiser how much my stone had gone up in 1.5 yrs., my husband said, "Well, at least something we've invested in has appreciated in value." Looking at the performance of our investments (stocks, etc.) over the last few years since the bottom fell out of everything, he is (sadly) right.

MGR, I feel just as you do: no more settling. You're right, we've done all of that. I want each thing I have now to be just what I want, and in my own case, I know that I also want less so I can wear it more. I have been thinking that once my diamond is reset that I probably won't be as inclined to wear my five-stone ring as an e-ring substitute. I'm not going to address that now but I sense that in the somewhat near future I will probably have to find a way to reset the five-stone ring so I like it more. But I can't worry about it now or I'll go crazier than I am with this whole e-ring project! Speaking of, today I've gone back to definitely wanting to have it set in a MM setting. As my mother would say, I'm as changeable as the weather! :D I'm not rushing into anything though, especially given my continuing questions ... it's not like it has to be done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris, the one thing I have always said was that if the stone did not sell, I would know it was simply meant to be mine!!! So I will not in any way be unhappy if it doesn't. Most of the younger guys are trying to maximize size by going with lower color and clarity, and my diamond is really priced above the typical e-ring for a young couple anyway. So it may or may not sell. But it is the finest cut quality and certainly a good color and clarity, so there is nothing that I dislike about it at all. I just thought I could go a little lower in size and be happy and perhaps pay for the new setting. Then I was looking for a stone for someone on Rocky Talky and saw how much fluorescence would discount a stone and just found this other stone and asked Jon if he could access it. It really wasn't even in my original plan to bargain hunt, but I thought it was a pretty good idea if an invisible feature would lower the cost! I think my main problem is that I am not being patient, and my other problem is that I really don't know what I want because I can't make decisions when I can't see things in person and try them on!!!

And good about the MM setting! :appl: It certainly is among the highest in quality and as long as your requests are met, you should end up with a gorgeous ring! I hope you and Owies Nana will get yours set before I have to make a decision and then I will have two more to look at!!!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
It's not possible for you to go up there now, I'm guessing? I completely agree with you about not buying without seeing; it's too risky and too big of an investment - especially since it can't be traded in. And your reasoning is good, about potentially being happy with a smaller stone and having the difference pay for your setting or something else. Did you post what Jon had to say in subsequent email or conversations? I may have missed it because my eyes are super bad today and the type on PS is so teeny for me on my bad vision days.

Just saw that you added about my "decision" - which isn't definite yet, lol! But maybe it will be. I was kind of hoping you'd go up to GOG and fall in love with MM's settings and then get yours set so I could see. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Well, somebody does need to do it so we can see!!! I am hesitant to go up there in the winter! I live in the southeast and don't even own a heavy coat! I just remember how much walking you need to do in Manhattan, and I don't want to have to buy a new wardrobe just to go to NYC for 3 days in the winter! I would probably FREEZE!!! :errrr: In reality, though, I would be smarter to wait and be sure the diamond sells before buying another stone. Jonathan certainly can't guarantee when it will sell, but he said he had had some inquiries about it. I was just tempted to go ahead and buy this stone because it was potentially a great deal.

It is certainly possible that I would like a MM setting better than the Vatche in person. I just have to see them, I think, and see what goes best with my bands.

I haven't heard back from Jon when I replied and asked him his opinion. In the initial email he told me it was premium cut and not superior but it looked a lot like my other stone. He said he could not see the fluoro except just a little in spotlighting. Obviously I can't see what he is talking about, so I don't know if I'd like it or not!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, hopefully he will send you some pictures or a video or something to see if you're really interested in the stone. It's so hard just to hear about it - seeing is everything!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, get a video! Stone **** for all! :lol: I agree with you that it seems most younger people are looking for somewhat lower specs to be able to afford a larger engagement stone. You need a buyer who has been educated on PS so they understand the cut quality and are willing to pay for it, and someone who has some color sensitivity. They're out there, so I imagine you'll find someone!

If only you happened to be tall with legs like a basketball player and arms like an ape, I could send you a coat to borrow! ;-) Seriously, this winter I've hardly needed a coat! It was 54F here today. Hello, Mother Nature, it's January 10 in the midwest! We've had 2.6" TOTAL of snow thus far (winter 2011 and thus far in 2012). It's a very weird winter for here. Not that I'm complaining! Anyhoo, if you do decide to go and need a MAXI coat that will keep all of you warm plus you won't even need gloves because the sleeves will cover your hands, let me know! :lol:

I'm going to put my money (for you) on the Vatche looking best with your bands. You have two beautiful Tiffany bands and it's the perfect match!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He must have been busy at the end of the day and just didn't make it back to his email. So we'll hopefully see what he says tomorrow! A video would be nice!

Blueiris, thanks for the coat offer! :bigsmile: A long, long time ago, we lived about an hour from Chicago and during the 4 years we were there, they had the record coldest winter and the record greatest snowfall total for a winter!!! So no wonder I am a little afraid of going to NYC in the winter! You are amazingly lucky to have such mild weather this year! And of course, it has been great here, too!

That is good to know you think the Vatche would work best with my rings. I think you are probably right since I have already started collecting Tiffany rings. I do think it is best to have Mark make a wedding band to go with his e-ring, and that would really be unnecessary for me since I already have the Memoire band and the Legacy band.

I am sorry to have derailed the setting topic to my diamond search on YOUR thread! This has sort of become our chat thread, which has been nice, though!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The circumstances for a GOG trip would have to be about as precise as a well cut diamond! Your stone would have to sell and he'd have to have a couple of real time contenders for you to look at. Otherwise, you might think about going in the spring when you have more time and no fear of running into bad weather. My guess is that you want this decided and over by spring!

Apparently we are supposed to be having an El Nina winter which means milder temps and less snowfall. Works for me - helps to keep those heating bills down too!

I'm sure you'll hear something from Jonathan tomorrow. I'm sure it's hard to tend to everyone all at one time but I bet most of his customers are as inpatient as we are!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope he has some impatient, irritating customers so I don't seem so bad! :lol: ;))

Yes, the visit would definitely have to be timed. And you are correct that I hope I am not waiting until spring to get this worked out! I really have no idea how long I should wait to see if the current stone sells. I mean, I really don't want to be without a ring for a year or anything like that!!! ;(

sna should be getting his wife's Vatche back any day now. It will be helpful to see hers and hear his opinion of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results