shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a halo be added to this setting?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I tried to search the old posts but it seems like it really depends on the setting. I've had my ring for several years now and am antsy for a change. Plus I feel like the semi-bezel covers too much of the stone and makes it look oval. Do you think a halo can be added to the current setting or would I have to start from scratch? It's integrated into the setting so can't just be replaced, does it rule out any significant changes? Here are some photos of it? Thanks!

donehand.jpg

npsprofring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way you can add one well. You need to start from scratch. :wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd beg to differ. I'd say it can be changed ... but it'll probably cost you around what it would to just buy a new setting in terms of labor cost, and you'll need to be very picky about finding a good bench to saw off your semi-bezel, build you a halo, and reattach it. Are you really emotionally attached to keeping THE ring in some incarnation?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1325720363|3095263 said:
No way you can add one well. You need to start from scratch. :wavey:

Yes, I'd just get a new setting.

Whiteflash and Eternity Diamonds both have reasonable prices on stock halos.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1325721126|3095274 said:
I'd beg to differ. I'd say it can be changed ... but it'll probably cost you around what it would to just buy a new setting in terms of labor cost, and you'll need to be very picky about finding a good bench to saw off your semi-bezel, build you a halo, and reattach it. Are you really emotionally attached to keeping THE ring in some incarnation?

Let me rephrase. I don't think it can be done "well" or cost effectively but I do think it can be done. I just don't think it would be worth the effort and expense.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, it *can* probably be done, but will not be cost effective.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback! I was thinking it was probably not that easy/cost-effective given the design so you just confirmed this. I do want to keep the setting but seems like it would just make more sense to maybe set a colored stone into it at some point if I reset the diamond. It's really just that I'm getting inpatient to reset and spending a substantial amount of money on a reset is out of question for the next two years or so. So it's basically an inexpensive setting now or a rather long wait for a nicer one. I know I should be patient, I'm just not very good at it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alene|1325726086|3095348 said:
Thanks for your feedback! I was thinking it was probably not that easy/cost-effective given the design so you just confirmed this. I do want to keep the setting but seems like it would just make more sense to maybe set a colored stone into it at some point if I reset the diamond. It's really just that I'm getting inpatient to reset and spending a substantial amount of money on a reset is out of question for the next two years or so. So it's basically an inexpensive setting now or a rather long wait for a nicer one. I know I should be patient, I'm just not very good at it.

Here is a pretty one from WF, relatively inexpensive:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/halo-bezel-diamond-engagement-ring-197.htm

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Laila! It's a nice setting, the problem is I've been spending way too much time on Pricescope and have developed a very champagne taste with a very beer budget. I just keep thinking in two years our expenses will be cut in half or so (having two preschoolers in NYC is expensive!) and I can easily justify spending a lot more on a setting. I should probably just distract myself with some other inexpensive jewelry for now.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone will take the job on.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another PSer Bliss recently had an enhancer made to turn her solitaire into a threestone - I wonder if something like that could be accomplished in a somewhat cost-effective manner? Some sort of over-ring with a halo into which you insert your semibezel...?

I dunno. Just tossing out another idea. I think it's a long shot though - those sorts of customisations aren't usually cheap.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks again, seems customization doesn't make sense, really. Hmm, an inexpensive halo as a temporary setting does sound tempting...

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
do you like the amphora setting from whiteflash?
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-diamond-engagement-ring-1039.htm

they get this particular setting pre-cast by a company called Unique Settings of NY, who also supply alot of the other jewelers (both online and mall stores). the exact same setting is available from b2c jewels who charge less overall because they are a drop shipper - a little more risky with diamonds, but perfectly fine with settings. mine is actually from them and no complaints thus far! http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Halo-Micropave-Round-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-14K-White-Gold-6037-1.aspx
i think they also have 10% off for PSers.

i saw they added some new halo designs:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Set-Round-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-14K-White-Gold-6179-1.aspx
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Halo-Solitaire-Diamond-Ring-18K-White-Gold-5795-1.aspx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results