color
clarity

What do you think of my eBay purchase?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I've just bought a diamond...on eBay. :errrr:

1.21 J-K VS1 OEC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230723073222

I confirmed with the seller that it's eye clean (especially as the first photo was a bit dark and I thought something could be hiding in there). It's going straight to Neil Beaty to be checked out and will be going straight back to the seller if it isn't what he says it is! ;)) I'm feeling pretty confident about the purchase but would love to know what y'all think! If it really is 1.21 J-K VS1, did I pay a reasonable price? I must admit I really didn't expect to win the auction and only placed a bid on a whim!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ellie

It looks like it could be a pretty stone. Difficult to really tell from the pics. The one thing that really concerns me is the color. It looks much warmer to me than a J-K in the pictures, and the price seems too good for a true J-K. But, if you don't mind the warmth, or it's whiter than the pics, you got a winner.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I did think the pictures were a little dark, especially the first one. The one showing the profile of the stone seems a bit better though and it doesn't look too tinted. I'll be really pleased if it is indeed a J/K as I've picked out an antique-style setting, so it should look right at home there. :love:

I was SHOCKED to win -- I didn't think I had a chance as $2838.14 was my highest bid!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am confused--if the stone was graded loose; shouldn't it be EITHER a J or K? Don't the "latitude" type grades apply only to W-Z coloring? :read:

cheers--Sharon

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I don't know -- I didn't think that was a problem as I didn't think that GAL was an "official" lab, so I'm taking the information on that with a grain of salt.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1325778554|3095686 said:
HI:

I am confused--if the stone was graded loose; shouldn't it be EITHER a J or K? Don't the "latitude" type grades apply only to W-Z coloring? :read:

cheers--Sharon

Actually it starts at O-P and that applies to GIA, this "report" is from GAL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would always assume that the color grade is a few lower than the listing says if the cert is not from GIA or AGS. So I value things based on that and not what they say. You could be lucky, sure, but I would decide on my bid based on L-M-N. If the stone has a nice facet pattern and is in great condition, then I would think you'd be okay on price even if it is a lower color. But it would be surprising for it to really be J-K. And I certainly have greater color tolerance in old stones, so it probably wouldn't matter to me as long as I had not overpaid.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325783299|3095746 said:
I would always assume that the color grade is a few lower than the listing says if the cert is not from GIA or AGS. So I value things based on that and not what they say. You could be lucky, sure, but I would decide on my bid based on L-M-N. If the stone has a nice facet pattern and is in great condition, then I would think you'd be okay on price even if it is a lower color. But it would be surprising for it to really be J-K. And I certainly have greater color tolerance in old stones, so it probably wouldn't matter to me as long as I had not overpaid.

I'm the same, diamondseeker -- a bit of color in an old stone is fine with me, so I'm okay if the stone goes down another grade or two in color. I'm figuring there's room to move on the clarity as well -- he's confirmed it's eye clean, which is really all that matters to me re: clarity, so as long as that's the case, I'll be happy.

It should ship tomorrow, so Neil will have it soon. Can't wait to hear what he thinks! If it all turns out well, I fear I may have opened the door to diamond addiction!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
elliemay|1325803594|3096005 said:
diamondseeker2006|1325783299|3095746 said:

I'm the same, diamondseeker -- a bit of color in an old stone is fine with me, so I'm okay if the stone goes down another grade or two in color. I'm figuring there's room to move on the clarity as well -- he's confirmed it's eye clean, which is really all that matters to me re: clarity, so as long as that's the case, I'll be happy.

It should ship tomorrow, so Neil will have it soon. Can't wait to hear what he thinks! If it all turns out well,the door to diamond addiction!

There are much worse afflictions! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results