shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever considered changing your Antique setting?

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I have an antique ring but am debating changing the setting, not sure what to do as it then changes it from a whole piece to just the diamond being old in a new setting. It is set very low and although is pretty, I like the higher look sometimes.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mine is an antique repro setting and pretty new, so I can't say that the urge to change it has hit, but I can understand sometimes wanting a different look. That's why I want to start a stacking band collection...for variety. If it were me, I'd take it to a well respected jeweler and see if you could safely remove the stone without damaging the setting. If so, then I might consider a different setting, but keeping the original so that I could swap it back down the road if I wanted to. This, of course, assumes that you love the current setting, but just want a change.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you post your ring? I would love to see it!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1325561775|3093842 said:
can you post your ring? I would love to see it!

Here it is Skippy, it's beautiful!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-antique-chunky-facet-oec-tranny.158460/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-antique-chunky-facet-oec-tranny.158460/[/URL]

Iluvdiamonds2, you've mentioned wanting to change your setting before in other threads, so I'm starting to think you should just go for it and reset it in something you'll really love! I love your setting and wouldn't change it, but...it's your ring, not mine, and you're the one who has to love it and wear it!

I hope to be getting an antique ring in a few months and I don't plan on changing the setting because for me that is a big part of having an antique ring. That doesn't mean it has to be the same for you though. You could put a colored stone in the setting you have now. I just think you should do whatever will make you the happiest with your ring.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks you guys! And thanks for posting my post so they can see pics! :)
I am working on reducing the images to show you how low it is, but looks big from certain angles because of the lower setting, but I was thinking about the BG Royal Charm setting.....which is higher and so elegant. Tannet has it I think. It looks pretty.
How can I get her to post more pics /different angles of her ring??

I know, I've mentioned it before about the setting. It is pretty, but when I first bought it, I was only buying the ring for the stone.
I only bought the setting because it wasn't much more money and it was a platinum and diamond setting, so I knew it was a good price, and I would need something to hold the stone until I found something.....

:wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iluvdiamonds I think your setting is the perfect complement to your center stone. it is unique and classic at the same time. it is gorgeous and I wouldn't change it!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sig! The more I look at the royal charm, i am not sure anymore. BUT LOVE the profile of that ring.
What wedding band would look best with this ring then? Maybe that will spice things up and give me the detail I am craving (bead set stones, round/baguette/etc)?

Here is a picture.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4400.jpg

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
That's it! But 4 prongs. But also like halos, but think it would take away from the center stone......

OldAndMine

Rough_Rock
Hi ILD, I am new in the forum and do not usually post but simply lurk around :rodent:
But I feel strongly enough here that I thought I should share my opinion since it is asked :wink2:
I never considered altering anything antique, except when the pieces look like they have been swapped around terribly and don't look like they belong together. I read that you bought this ring only for its stone. But when I saw you photo of the ring, they look like they belong together and together rather nicely in fact. But, this is a personal opinion and jewelry is so personal. Perhaps this is a good excuse to hunt for another diamond? :tongue: Good luck with what ever you decide! It is a lovely ring and a lovely stone!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh, facing/faced the same dilemma with my recent purchase of an anniversary ring: I love it as it is, but my husband made some vague noises about resetting it because he thought it looked too much like my engagement ring. And, you know ... I'm a PS'r! Give me carte blanche to get a new setting, and you're going to pique my interest.

Dude, I spent like a solid two months perusing every website under the sun. I contacted a bunch of vendors. And nothing made me happier than the setting which had caught my eye initially.

If I'd bought a modern stone loose, I would have just gotten a Michael B. Petite Crown setting and called it a day: if it was a loose old cut, I would narrow things down to a Single Stone or different vintage piece, and go from there. But since something about the total antique package really appealed to me, I've settled on "refurbishing" the ring by replacing the sidestones with higher quality cuts and repolishing, redoing the milgrain, etc. If I ever come across another setting that I adore, the option's still there, after all ....

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
iluvdiamonds2|1325804813|3096024 said:
That's it! But 4 prongs. But also like halos, but think it would take away from the center stone......

I agree, but I'm not a halo girl anyway unless it's extremely delicate. You may have already done this, but if you really want to consider this setting, maybe contact BGD and see if Levi makes this setting with 4 prongs. I think your stone would look lovely in it, plus you would be creating your own heirloom piece with that gorgeous diamond. Just my 2 cents.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses!
I called them and yes they have a four prong setting......I don't know what to do. I guess I might buy that setting for a 7.5 mm cushion and get the diamond next year. I hope I still love the setting next year! I don't really want 2 rings though. I love my stone. I just don't like when you can tell it's "round" . I love emerald shape, radiant and elongated cushion shape and pillowy cushion shapes.
I initially bought it to put in a square setting, but then changed my mind......that was a while ago now! :confused:
I was told I can re-set it back in the orig setting if I changed my mind, but wondering if it might not get re-set the way it was before? is that possible?

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
iluvdiamonds2|1325915187|3097114 said:
I love emerald shape, radiant and elongated cushion shape and pillowy cushion shapes.

Please forgive me if I offend you as that certainly is not my intention. It seems to me that you would prefer a antique cushion. Perhaps think about consigning the current ring you have with JBEG and starting over with a cushion (in fact they have a beauty of one now)
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/155ct-Loose-Antique-Cut/19181072_nGc6pZ#!i=1495069680&k=tRgTwjs

Of course, that may not be possible and since you don't want the stone to appear round, I would most definitely consider a cushion shaped halo for rounds.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sparkly!
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!!! I love honest opinions!! When I bought this, it was between this and a cushion. I got this one instead because it was very brilliant. I checked out the jbeg and can't see a price. I think if I got a cushion it would have to be a d, e or f color and definitely bigger though, unless i set it in a halo i guess. That diamond is pretty. I can't navigate their site, can never see prices. I don't understand that site... :roll: Do you know how to see the prices and navigate the site to see the stones? I'm not good with that site.

Anyway, I have been looking at settings all morning online and am getting excited about changing it. I am digging the royal charm and the tacori baguette one :http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings#/2626RD75

What do you think of this one? Or maybe a custom made one would be best.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvdiamonds2|1326045318|3097960 said:
Hi Sparkly!
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!!! I love honest opinions!! When I bought this, it was between this and a cushion. I got this one instead because it was very brilliant. I checked out the jbeg and can't see a price. I think if I got a cushion it would have to be a d, e or f color and definitely bigger though, unless i set it in a halo i guess. That diamond is pretty. I can't navigate their site, can never see prices. I don't understand that site... :roll: Do you know how to see the prices and navigate the site to see the stones? I'm not good with that site.

Anyway, I have been looking at settings all morning online and am getting excited about changing it. I am digging the royal charm and the tacori baguette one :http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings#/2626RD75

If you go to JbEG home page, there's a menu to the right - click on "loose antique and estate diamonds" - you'll find the stones and prices there. HTH!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
iluvdiamonds2|1326045318|3097960 said:
Hi Sparkly!

Sorry...I'm just now seeing this. I really like the Tacori a lot and it may very well help your diamond look more like a cushion-shaped. I'm getting excited with you! ha ha :appl:

This setting is from JBEG. http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Halos/The-Mimi-Halo-Featuring-a/18967126_58xDTs#!i=1503942246&k=g2JSSMc

It's called the Mimi halo and will definitely give your diamond the cushion appearance without overwhelming the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results