shape
carat
color
clarity

Pinterest

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you on that site? I recently joined after finding my ring was pinned all over the place over there.

If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically a virtual pinboard where users can "pin" photos they find on the internet onto different boards in their profile. Once pinned, other users can repin the photos onto their own boards.

Well, a friend of my sister's asked if I would send her some photos of my ring so she could pin them to Pinterest, so I did, and then I searched around the site to look at other rose gold rings and to my surprise other users had already pinned photos of my ring to their own boards. It made me smile, I wasn't upset in the least, but the thread in RT about Surfgirl's ring photos makes me wonder if other PSers would be upset to find their rings on Pinterest.

If a user pins a photo directly from a website, it links back to the site, but if the user downloads the photo and then pins it from her computer, it doesn't link to anywhere. So, the photos of your rings might not be linked back to your PS thread at all, and rather they just look like anonymous rings floating around the Internet.

I've been using it to collect all of my photos of home libraries, and it's a lot of fun. But it does make me wonder how many PSers' rings are pinned up on people's boards.

Do you Pinterest? I think it would be great for the brides to make boards for their wedding, I see a lot of those over there.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
my twin sister and her daughters really are into this site.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I just read the thread about surfgirl. Once you post something on the Internet, it is there forever. You cannot take it back. And you cannot prevent others from copying it. That is why I would never share pictures of my children on the Internet. There is no way to contain it. JMO, but if surfgirl wanted to keep the design to herself, then she should not have posted it on a public domain.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've gotten completely addicted to Pinterest over the past week while on vacation. I've also been sick, so it's been a fun way of spending an otherwise boring week stuck at home. I think I have 8 boards, and most of them are for school stuff. It's been a great way to save ideas that I'd like to try. I also love seeing the home decorating and organizing boards. Pinning has become quite an obsession!

ETA: I'll admit that when I first heard of it, I had the same reaction my husband did when I told him about it later. "What do you do with it? So, you post pictures of random things and then look at them occasionally?" "Yep! That's about it." :bigsmile: I haven't even ventured to foods yet. Too much temptation.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I joined Pinterest, but it doesn't really do it for me for some reason! I prefer tumblr.

People do re-pin things really quickly, though, which is fun. I posted a bag I bought and a bunch of strangers had re-pinned it within minutes. I was like "What's happening, why am I getting all these emails?!"

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, I had the same experience, Thing. Within an hour, 99 people repinned one of the home library photos I pinned so when I opened my email I was all "WHAAAAAA?" I shut off that email feature ASAP.

What is tumblr?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I loooove pinterest. And I'm a narcissist, so I would be delighted if someone posted my ring. :lol:

The recipes are the best. Love the recipes. And the DIY stuff that I could actually do, like make chalkboard cheese platters, as opposed to things that are way more time and effort than I would ever expend. And the beautiful rooms to draw inspiration from. It's so delightful.

I've long said I wished it was around during wedding planning, but I'm thinking it actually may have made me more neurotic, so who knows?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recipes? Hmm . . . off to kill another hour on Pinterest.

I really do love it. I don't make character boards when I write, but many of my writer friends do. I think Pinterest must be PERFECT for that.

I made a Book Love board and I'm putting covers from all my Winter Break Reads in it, and it's really fun to see them all together on there.

Okay, recipes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, I am on there! I know tons of friends I am on Facebook are also on Pinterest! :bigsmile: It is kinds of fun seeing friends and families likes.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1325266902|3091629 said:
Haha, I had the same experience, Thing. Within an hour, 99 people repinned one of the home library photos I pinned so when I opened my email I was all "WHAAAAAA?" I shut off that email feature ASAP.

What is tumblr?

tumblr is a very visual-based blogging platform that's been around for a while and probably inspired Pinterest. People reblog each other's posts over and over and you can also like them. You can tag posts and do searches. I just like the format better visually. You have a personal "Dashboard" and you can see everyone you're following's posts, but the photos are much larger. I really hate the way Pinterest looks-too many small photos!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Love, love, LOVE Pinterest.

Not only do I use it to find NEW things, but I've saved a bunch of my favorite go-to recipes and websites on a board for quick and easy access. And I'm using it to help find stuff for a friend's wedding. And to find new workouts. And lots and lots and lots of cupcakes. :lickout:

SB, I saw that chalkboard cheese tray you pinned! Loved that idea. Love all the chalkboard paint ideas in general, actually.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I love Pinterest! I notice tons of rings on there - I'm sure I've come across yours too :)

I think people love it so much because its awesome for inspiration and new ideas!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE pintrest! I find myself getting on there to pin all sorts of things. It's very helpful in regards to putting your ideas in image form, all in one place. Everything I've made (from food, to crafts) have turned out amazingly! :appl:

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I love Pinterest and have gotten many others addicted to it! Some of my fiances favorite recipes came from pinterest. I also use it for wedding ideas, however, since I am indecisive it does more harm then help! :) It is a lot of fun though and can be very helpful!

I have also used it for teaching ideas and kid craft ideas!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I use Pinterest and I'm pretty sure other PSers do given the quality of their jewellery pins!

We're about to renovate our home, so I've pinned things and annotated to say "this roof line" or "these windows" or "this shelving arrangement". It's easier to show my building designer and architect than to describe. I can also show my husband because he's more spacially aware than I am but less design-inclined. I edit my collection down as we make decisions and I assume I'll show the builder when he arrives on site too! A picture is worth more than a thousand words in some cases :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it but I've not quite figured it out yet..that one and Houzz..I want to spend time on there and play around to "get it" but..am kinda scared to..I end up w/47 ideas on just one thing, like yellow paint color. I did find a cute idea for the fence around our backyard but when I showed JD I got a non commital "eh".

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use it now to track ring design ideas. Some get repinned. Actually, my only bling on pinterest is my Aurora ;)) Being a narcissist as well, that was part of the reason I decided never to sell it! :lol:

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Pinterest is an awesome tool. Lots of wedding ideas on there! And just about anything else. I love the recipes and holiday decorating pics. And yeah, the bling is there too.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1325284641|3091804 said:
I like it but I've not quite figured it out yet..that one and Houzz..I want to spend time on there and play around to "get it" but..am kinda scared to..I end up w/47 ideas on just one thing, like yellow paint color. I did find a cute idea for the fence around our backyard but when I showed JD I got a non commital "eh".

Packrat, you should make a whole board of yellows! Loads of people would love to see that because they could pick their favourite from your fabulous collection :bigsmile: I was tempted to make one of coloured front doors: purple and yellow and red and black and all the others...

Anything I find on Houzz I just pin to Pinterest to keep everything in the one place. It is fab so don't be scared. You can't break it ;))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loveeee Pinterest. I spend way too many hours on there.

I use it for home decoration inspiration, bling inspiration, for instructions on how to DIY things (aka how to spray paint a mirror), recipes, and even have a board for party planning my son's 2nd bday. It's so awesome, it's essentially like organized bookmarking.

And yes people repin all sorts of things. I found some of my cupcake pictures repinned and I've seen things from people I know repinned as well (like someone's bedroom or a photography pose/idea). I love the idea as essentially you can bring something from any corner of the internet, it's almost like 6 degrees of separation.

The company actually tries to respond/remove pins if people 'complain' about a pin like a copyrighted image or something, but I've seen the same image crop up again. Honestly I think even if someone complains about ONE pin, they can't monitor all the other pins easily. Pinterest is also a new startup,in beta, so it will be interesting to see how it evolves. I think it's grown way faster than they anticipated and now they are just trying to 'keep up' vs getting ahead of the trend.

And so far the only site I think I've seen where you cannot use their pinmarklet app is FB. But you can just save an image from there and upload it yourself.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on too and find myself spending way too much time just browsing ! I really love it my daughter has boards for her new baby room and when I see something I think she will like I tag her. The inspiration board was great for party planning for my grandsons Superhero birthday.I have random boards for things I like to collect, cheaper than buying the actual thing! I try to link back to the original blog or site I found the picture so I give credit where it is due!, happy Pinning
Elisa
**edited by moderator. please do not post personal contact information for your own safety**

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results