shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom project help - rubies and ring design

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
My mother has this ring that I've always loved and now that my baby daugher is 7 months old I'm feeling up to tackling my first custom project. And I think I deserve some baby bling!! I love the ring's design, granted it needs a cleaning!

What about one of these stones? I'd like a classic red ruby. The center green emerald in my mother's ring is about 5.5 mm square.

Seeing this stone got me re-motivated to look again.

http://www.africagems.com/ruby-g2k-445.html

Here is an ascher cut, which I think would work, but the color seems light?

http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html

I'm not stuck on a ruby if there is some other lovely colored square cut stone out there, maybe even something green or pink.

As for the ring design I love how it is, but not sure about the basket. Also, I very much want claw shaped prongs. I was thinking of getting a Leon M. estimate or a Brian Garvin one, or both. Is it ok to have a ring copied just with pictures or would it be much easier if I can send the original? I don't even know if that's a possibility but I thought I should ask.

Thanks so much for any opinions/advice.

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would probably be fine to just send pictures, but the designer will tell you what he or she needs during the process. Be aware that they won't copy the other ring exactly, I guess due to copyright issues, but as there are things you want changed, it'll probably be fine. What don't you like about the basket? Would you like it a different style, or set closer to your finger?

Both those reds stones look nice. I do like the asscher ruby, though like you am not sure if it would be too pink in person. Wildfish Gems has some FANTASTIC red stones - I love going there to look. I don't know all that much about red stones so I can't comment very well on them, but someone who knows more will come along soon, I'm sure.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
^^^
Thanks! I like the basket on the original, but maybe it is too high for everyday wear? I don't know. Didn't realize that about the style - the ring is past copyright surely it is from the 1970s.

Here is another ruby contender.

http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-1.06-carats.html-2

I just have no idea how to pick rubies. I don't want something too pink or too dark red.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure about your budget, but this is pretty: http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/1080/10700

One thing I see is lots and lots of ovals out there. The stone linked above notes that it is a recut from a native-cut oval. Maybe that would be worth exploring? Finding an oval and having it recut to be square?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with distracts that the Asscher may look too pink. The first stone from Africagems does not look like it will be eye-clean. I like the stone from Wildfish, but would ask how dark it is. I like the AJS the best, but don't know what it will look like in person.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Noob here, just wondering, if the gem is surrounded on all sides with the diamonds when you custom make it, would it darken a little? In that case would the pink end up looking a nice shade?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one from Gemfix is nice (it's not an Asscher cut though as it doesn't have the traditional windmills and asscher step cut). It's a pretty stone. I think the cut corners would look good in the ring you want to replicate and will also look good with sharp prongs placed centrally in the cut corners. I would ask about the colour and perhaps, if they'll do it, ask them to send you a few more photos. I'm guessing you don't want it to be too pink and that would be my only concern about this gem. I think it will perform well though (based on the one photo and cut that I can see).

The Ruby from Africa gems looks cloudy and, even though they're saying it's eye clean, it certainly doesn't look that way to me. I would avoid that one.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I think the Gemfix ruby is definitely worth asking about. It is pinkish, but that may not be a bad thing, considering the setting you are wanting to base your own ring on.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
milton333|1325221369|3091271 said:
Not sure about your budget, but this is pretty: http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/1080/10700

One thing I see is lots and lots of ovals out there. The stone linked above notes that it is a recut from a native-cut oval. Maybe that would be worth exploring? Finding an oval and having it recut to be square?

Yes, saw that one too. I was just concerned about the use of the word "deep" so many times for such an expensive stone. I dont' want it to be too dark in the setting which I think will darken it somewhat. It is a little higher than I had in mind as well.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks I'm planning on calling Gemfix today as soon as it is later on the West Coast. I'm really excited. The other stones look nice but I'm hoping the Gemfix will look darker in person and I do like the idea of using the claw prongs on the cornors. That just sounds lovely. I do also like the AJS stone as pictured but just wonder how much darker it will be in person.

Any ideas for who to use to execute? I saw some amazing claw prongs on a steve K I think ring posted here, which also had a ruby.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to say ask about both sellers. I've purchased from Africagems and he dosen't mind answering additional questions at all. He's a very honest and forthright seller.

Gemfix gem, also very nice.

If you have the ring custom done, and want to use elements of another ring you own, most won't have issues with that. There are things some will not do, which is copy a ring from start to finish. Each smith is different so its always worth asking prior to starting work.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winternight|1325257303|3091479 said:
Thanks I'm planning on calling Gemfix today as soon as it is later on the West Coast. I'm really excited. The other stones look nice but I'm hoping the Gemfix will look darker in person and I do like the idea of using the claw prongs on the cornors. That just sounds lovely. I do also like the AJS stone as pictured but just wonder how much darker it will be in person.

Any ideas for who to use to execute? I saw some amazing claw prongs on a steve K I think ring posted here, which also had a ruby.

Every single stone I've bought from AJS has looked slightly less vibrant and a tad darker than their photos. HTH.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The Gemfix ruby is nice, though I don't know why they label it an asscher; it isn't. They're very nice to deal with. I love the color of the Wildfish one, though it might not fit into your budget -- I've bought a few stones from Ed & his photos are pretty true to life. Whoever does the setting for you should be able to work from photos of your mother's ring & will also suggest tweaks to bring out the best in your particular stone & can recommend ideas for the basket that you're not crazy about.

Good for you for going for it!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results