shape
carat
color
clarity

December rocks - Sapphires from Dana, tourmaline & tsavorite

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the past several months I've been saving up some money to spend on pretty baubles - I'm a stress spender and wanted to have a bit to blow guilt-free during finals. I had a list of things I've been looking for, and managed to find a few of them (okay, and some other things).

Tsavorite Garnet - 1.15 cts, 6.4 x 5.3 x 3.4 mm
Purchased from Tan at gemburionline on ebay.

I just wanted to SEE a tsavorite garnet in real life because I don't know that I ever have. That's actually the impulse behind several of my recent purchases. It's very pretty. The inclusion is not as bad in real life as the picture makes it look - it's not surface reaching so I hope it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the stone, as I think it will make a cute stacking ring. It was really hard to get a good picture of the color, which is why there's that weird sideways shot.

IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0711.jpg

Green Tourmaline Ring

So I went to this estate jewelry store yesterday, looking for something I could quickly buy as a RHR, because my hands feel REALLY LOPSIDED with my e-ring on all the time, and all the other fancy rings I have are too big for my right ring finger. And sometimes silver and turquoise just isn't really appropriate. The sapphire from MasterCut Gems is intended for a RHR, but I don't know yet exactly what I want to do with it and my hands feel lopsided NOW. I had nothing specific in mind and so tried on everything in the store (really annoying the saleslady) and kept coming back to this. I know this isn't the most desirable color in tourmaline, but, idk, I like it? The brilliant forest green flashes are mesmerizing, it looks nice with my engagement ring, and it even looks nice and green in low indoor lighting, which I didn't expect.

Direct sunlight:
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0677.jpg

Indirect sunlight:
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg

Side view: (That there's not much there is how I could afford it - I think most of the pricing at that place was based on weight.)
IMG_0679.jpg

And with my e-ring:
IMG_0684.jpg

Light Blue Heated Sapphire re-cut by Dana from Mastercut Gems, 1.37ct, 7.6 x 6 mm
(more info here)

So, this is the center stone for the sapphire RHR project. I saw a sapphire this silvery-blue color when we were looking for sapphires for my engagement ring, and LOVED the color but it was a 1ct cushion and faced up TINY, and the light blue didn't really pop against the diamonds. Ever since then, I've been looking for an affordable and not-tiny sapphire of that color. When I saw this linked in one of the threads the other week, I spent a couple of days deliberating (worried that one of you guys would buy it before I got the chance!) before finally buying it. I'm so glad I did - it's absolutely wonderful, perfectly pale and icy. My engagement ring sapphire is deep blue like the ocean, but this one reminds me of winter. And the color looks good with my e-ring!

I am thinking I want some light pink or yellow trillions or half-moons for sidestones for this sapphire. :roll: I just like that three-stone style a lot - it's not unexpected since it's how like ALL my rings are but. I like it. If I could find pears tiny enough, I might use those, but idk, I worry that the pointy bits would break off more easily if they got whacked, and I want this to be a real everyday, as-often-as-my-e-ring ring.

Direct sunlight (simulated by my sunbox):
IMG_0686.jpg

Indirect sunlight:
IMG_0687_0.jpg
IMG_0693_0.jpg

A couple shots of the veil inclusion, which I can only spot at extreme angles like this (it's in the upper left):
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0688-2.jpg

Regular indoor light:
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

Dark Unheated Sapphire cut by Dana, 1.55 cts, 7.2 x 5.3 x 4mm.

Dana threw this sapphire in FOR FREE because he said it didn't photograph well but was too nice to throw away. :o It's not one I would ever have bought on my own, but I am sure I will find something to do with it! It is an incredibly dark blue-green, but it's definitely not black - even at it's darkest you can see flashes of color. I think it might look good in a setting with some black enameling, so that the fact that it's not black jumps out. But I don't know. What should I do with it, PS, give me suggestions! Some of the shots involve the bunny - I thought if this stone didn't photograph well, she'd better be in some of the shots because she photographs amazingly.

IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0701_0.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0705_0.jpg

So, there you have it. I'm pretty pleased with this little bunch, and even more pleased that I didn't have to spend a small fortune to get things I like so much!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: December rocks - Sapphires from Dana, tourmaline & tsavo

Congrats - you have the start of a very nice collection! Isn't it great to find PS and realize that buying gemstones you love doesn't necessarily mean costing an arm and a leg? It seems like you've taken to PS like a fish to water ;)) I like all your stones, but am particularly impressed with the ring purchase. I love the color of the tourmaline taken in sunlight. I also like the fact that you have a nice setting if you ever want to replace the tourmaline with another stone...

Oh and BTW, your bunny is very cute. I love the kind like yours that has the floppy ears (you can tell I'm a real bunny expert, huh?)

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock

Very pretty collection. I'm so glad someone here bought that beautiful pale blue sapphire from Dana. It's a nice size, and the color is ethereal, really dreamy. It looks great with your sapphire engagement ring.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Those are some very nice stones there, distracts! I love the phrase - stress spender!!!! Yeah, I think I can appreciate that....

The tourmaline ring is GORGEOUS! I love how dark it can be, then how bright and intense! Great purchase (and I bet it was fun annoying the sales lady !!! LOL!)

But a FREE sapphire - how sweet is that? All in all - you did very well! Hope your stress is over for a while....

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Love the light blue sapphire, it's mesmerizing. And the bunny :D

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

You did great! :love: the tourmaline ring, its intensity in the light & its subtlety in shade. The light blue sapphire's a beauty too. Both stones will be super with your gorgeous e-ring.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock

You are so cute with the "my hands feel lopsided, and they feel lopsided now!" Perfect justification for buying new sparklies! ;))

Enjoy the tourmaline, and can't wait to see what you do with the sapphire!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

OMG! I can't believe I missed this thread!

What an adorable lop bunny! :))

Oh I like the green shades of your tourmaline too, but that bunny is impossibly adorable!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so glad you grabbed that pale sapphire from Dana! It's as pretty IRL as I suspected it might be, and it looks really lovely against your skin.

Aren't colored stones fun!?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux - Heee, thank you! It helps that my grandmother was a SERIOUS jewelry hobbyist, and I inherited all her supplies, including an already-massive semiprecious gemstone collection, and my father is a mineral hobbyist, so I've been learning about rocks (though not "pretty" ones) since I was a little kid. So I already had some idea of what was going on, but PS has been just a glorious wealth of information.

blue-seeker - "Ethereal" is a good word for the color of the light blue sapphire!

enerchi - I think the saleslady thought I wasn't going to buy anything. She was being kind of condescending, but the stuff in the store was so pretty, I couldn't tell her to shove it!

gemfever - The bunny is always an attraction - wait until I set the sapphire, she loves nibbling on ring stones.

jewelfreak - I was really surprised at how much better the tourmaline looked in regular lighting conditions. I never, ever expected to like a dark green gem... but things happen. Pretty, beautiful, sparkly things.

tntyau - Thanks! I LOVE your collection of sapphire rings and have spent many minutes over the past couple of weeks admiring the pictures in your recent thread and in your avatar. It makes me want a bright blue sapphire in a gold bezel - don't be surprised if I copy you one day!

tristanc - I am admittedly biased, but my bunny is the most adorablest. I feel certain there must be a massive thread on PS somewhere devoted to pet pictures and one day I will find it and post so many pictures people get sick of looking at her.

aoife - Colored stones are THE FUNNEST. I mean, diamonds aren't bad, especially in L-P colors, but colored stones are so... colorful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results