shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat vaccines - do you get them every year?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you get your cats vaccinated every year?

I had done research a long time ago that some vaccines do not have to be given yearly, especially for indoor cats, because they've been found to offer protection longer than a year and because there can be side effects from vaccinating yearly.

One of the reasons I chose the vet I did is she was in complete agreement with that philosophy and she went down the list of vaccines with me to figure out which ones I should do and which ones I could skip. If I remember correctly, the only one she asked me to do every year is rabies (required by law).

I just called them to schedule a bath and I sense a different attitude (at least from the girl who took my call). She said that all vaccinations must be in place if the cat is going to stay with them (e.g., a bath) for any length of time. This is not something they ever said before.

Anyway - it got me thinking about vaccinations all over again, and I'm wondering what you do for your cats and/or what you believe.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
My vet sends me a reminder to have Claude vaccinated and I just take him in and have it done, it is annual. I like my vet and trust that they are doing the right thing by us.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a kitty expert in the least, but I do keep both of my kitties fully vaccinated even though they are inside. The dog is more social (read: goes places) and I wouldn't want to risk doggy picking up a germ that could be passed on to vulnerable kitties.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our cats get the rabies vaccine every year (although they don't go outside). I want to say that they get the distemper vaccine every year but I could be wrong. Maybe they get that one every 2 or 3 years, I can't remember.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vet and the ladies at the place we purchase our cat & dog foods are all in agreement that vaccinations are done too frequently. Our cats are indoor only, never boarded, and never taken for baths (we do this at home). Our dogs get vaccinated more frequently since they are outside and our youngest goes to classes sometimes.

I need to talk with the ladies the next time we're in to get food and see just how often they do suggest and how they should be spaced out. (doing all at one time can cause problems, so they like to split a couple of the vaccines up so it is easier on the animals)

Groomers and boarding places are pretty particular around here and want proof that everything is "current".

Fed

Rough_Rock
I vaccinate my cats every three years in accordance with American Association of Feline Practitioners guidelines.

http://www.cfa.org/client/healthvaccinationguidelines.aspx

The state that I live in does not require annual rabies vaccinations so the rabies vaccination along with the distemper combo shot is given every three years. Those are the only two shots that I provide and I believe that the others are unnecessary for indoor cats.

I suspect that the shots actually last longer than three years but until the AAFP comes out with better studies that's what I'm going with.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Idk what rabies law NY has, but my vet actually said that he prefers not to give the rabies vaccine since it can have a poor affect on the cat's health.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do vaccines every two years for my cats.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my cats are indoor only. no, i don't have them vaccinated every year.....in fact, they have not been vaccinated for 10 years or more.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My cats who are strictly indoors get vaccinated every three years (against Panleukopenia, Rhinotracheitis and Calicivirus) that is what my vet said the recommendation is now. Immunity lasts longer than a year. I do not give them Feline Leukemia vaccinations since they are at such a low risk due to never setting a paw outside. They also do not get Rabies vaccinations. I think less more with these but I would never stop vaccinating completely. And I still take them in once a year for checkups even if they are not vaccinated. Probably in the minority on that one.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
A subject very close to my heart with new kittens this year.

There are pros and cons to the whole vaccine debate and I suspect it will go on in ad finitum. One of the questions you need to ask yourself is do you board your cats at all? Most reputable facilities won't accept cats unless they are vaccinated as per the national veterinarian protocols.

If boarding is not a concern one indicator of whether or not your cat actually NEEDS to have it's immunity boosted by additional vaccines is to conduct Titer tests to measure your cat's antibody levels.

I opted for Meriel's PureVax products for my kittens as it's a non-adjuvanted line and therefore, supposedly be less of a risk for injection site sarcoma developing. When it comes time next year, I will have Titer tests done, before I decide whether or not to let the vet administer boosters.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my cats have had the initial checkups and vaccinations. then checkups every year. and if i had it to do over again, i wouldn't do any of the id chips.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We definitely give our cats fewer vaccines than the vet recommends (which is yearly). I read a lot about this online years ago (for dogs and cats) and feel that limiting vaccines is better for our animals. We almost never board our animals and have them taken care of at home. My daughter has a new baby and they are using Dr. Sears alternative schedule so the baby doesn't get so many shots at one time. I think it is wise to be cautious while still giving essential vaccines to animals or children.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
We do all vaccines every three years. It is legal here to write the rabies as good for three years after the animal has had two consecutive vaccines of rabies. As long as the owner keeps up with it they can go every three years instead.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1325127545|3090519 said:
my cats are indoor only. no, i don't have them vaccinated every year.....in fact, they have not been vaccinated for 10 years or more.

Interesting, why is that? We had a cat come home to us after more than a year of being lost because of a microchip. It is the first thing on my list for any pet

eta: I keep trying to quote Movie Zombie on her microchip but instead it comes up with this.... :???:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to do mine every three years or so. But recently, I haven't been because they don't go out, don't interact with other cats, and are generally healthy.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re the microchip: studies link it with cancer.....and i've had a couple of my cats that were chipped that ended up with cancer...and died. of course, studies come and studies go....

i too wanted to insure that my cats would be reunited with me if "lost" but i'm not sure that i like the tradeoff........

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
nope. He is a housecat in an apartment and doesn't wander around, so no vaccines after the first 2.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. They got the full series when they were kittens but I haven't taken them back for boosters. My cats are indoor only and the likely hood of them getting sick from anything preventable by a vaccine is low enough that I don't think it's worth the stress to their systems both from getting the shot and from the trip to the vet.

If either of them went outdoors, it would be a different story.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
When I had cats, the local VCA had a rabies vaccine that was given every 3 years, but they also had a yearly vaccine. You can call around to your vets to find the 3 year one. I'm not sure if all states allow the 3-year vaccine.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get the reminder in the post and then promptly forget. It's usually about 14-15 months between her vaccines. My cat doesn't stay at the vet's, but they require her vaccines to be up-to-date if she were to board there or stay there for any length of time.

I can't remember which shots I get. I think she gets 3 different ones. I requested rabies for a bit when she moved here, but stopped doing that because I was told it wasn't necessary and have no plans to move back to the US. It was expensive to order!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your replies, and for the articles (I had seen them at one or another during my research). It all reinforces my original opinion that I don't want to blindly vaccinate every year - or even every 3.

For those of you who said you vaccinate only every 3 years, or not at all...do you ever take your cats in for a bath?

I want to try to give Rattie a bath but I am afraid - even though he lets me brush his teeth. :bigsmile: Any tips for how to try and see whether he would tolerate it?

(Edited for clarity)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zombie - I never realized there were studies linking the microchip to cancer... :(( that's scary

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I have 2 cats and they received all of the necessary vaccines when they were kittens but I haven't done them since then. They are indoor cats and are generally healthy. One of the cats still gets a yearly check-up because she has asthma and the other cat goes in about once every 2 years for a check-up. Taking them to the vet is such a huge pain and I just don't feel the vaccinations are necessary so its not worth it to me. However, when I asked about bringing them in for a teeth cleaning, they told me the cats will have to be vaccinated first. So they might be getting them this year.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deleted. Answered already.

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
Absolutely not! My one cat is 21 and hasn't had any vaccines for 12 years now. My other cat is 11 and has only had them twice and I don't think I will get them again.
Just get the titer drawn instead. That's what I do for my dogs!
See vaccine recommendations by Jean Dodds:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I'm glad to read this thread and see that I'm not the only one that chooses not to vaccinate my cat! It's been a few years since he got his vaccinations. He is a purely indoor cat and does not interact with any other animals. He has a history of serious medical problems and his flare-ups tended to coincide with his vaccinations, whether it was the stress of getting them or the actual contents of the vaccines, I don't know, but I do know that since I decided a few years ago not to take him in anymore for shots, he has been in remission. I know the vets probably don't like it (I still get the reminders in the mail), but the vaccine is not required in my state, and I'm fine with breaking some recommendations if it means my pet is living a happier life.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to the rest of you for the responses...

So glad I posted about this!

Happy New Year!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results