shape
carat
color
clarity

Spacer question

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I have a new diamond band in white gold that I am hoping to wear with my platinum wedding band. I'm trying to figure out how to protect the two rings since they are different metals. Should I get a white gold or platinum spacer?

I feel like I've read here that metals shouldn't be mixed. So I'm thinking about getting two spacers, once of each metal. That way they can beat up each other and I can just replace. I'd need really small spacers in that case though. Any advice?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1325120984|3090422 said:
I have a new diamond band in white gold that I am hoping to wear with my platinum wedding band. I'm trying to figure out how to protect the two rings since they are different metals. Should I get a white gold or platinum spacer?

I feel like I've read here that metals shouldn't be mixed. So I'm thinking about getting two spacers, once of each metal. That way they can beat up each other and I can just replace. I'd need really small spacers in that case though. Any advice?

Do the diamonds on your band protrude past the metal setting? (So when you wear rings together the diamonds are rubbing against the other ring, not the wg itself?)

If so I'd suggest plat for the spacer, if not I'd say wg. Two spacers would be quite noticeable I think, even if you choose the sub-1mm type..

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/silver-on-white-gold.154699/#post-2815379#p2815379']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/silver-on-white-gold.154699/#post-2815379#p2815379[/URL] (silver and plat are similar enough to make the point, though the effects w/ silver would be more pronounced)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
The stones do protrude, so plat it is it seems. I've found a few examples of a 1mm spacer...are there any spacers thinner than that?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Would palladium work instead of platinum?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see why not, honestly. I don't like to mix metals if I can avoid it - but that's a mind-clean thing for me. Of course the exact alloys and how the metal is worked will make a technical difference, how much of that becomes practical I have no idea! In fact I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the metal work makes a bigger difference than Pd vs. Pt, so maybe my mind-clean hangups are misplaced!

In any case - since I *do* have this hangup I'd ask if they'll do it in plat, but if they won't I'd get the Pd and be done with it ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results