shape
carat
color
clarity

I have this BIG hunk of meat...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
... and I'm not sure exactly what to do with it!

::background::

Every year I make a standing rib roast (prime rib) for Christmas as my mother before me did. Last year I was able to get a WHOLE boneless one - it was ridiculously huge and I cut it in half and had two separate big roasts out of it. If I recall it was close to 6 kilos. I think that's like 13 pounds! Boneless!

This year I could not find one. The only thing available was an equally long "striploin" hunk o'meat. I do believe it is the NY part of a T-bone steak. It was 4.5 kilos (about 10 pounds I think!) and I cut 1/3 off for our meal on Christmas and 2/3 off for me to roast ahead for a christmas party I'm hosting on friday.

Couple questions:

1) do I cook this the same as I would a boneless rib roast? is it going to be good? I always preferred rib eye over NY strip so I don't have a ton of experience with it. More experience with the tenderloin even.

2) any suggestions on how I can serve this for the party that is NOT a sit down meal and that I can stretch it out to feed up to 28 people (13 children, 15 adults).

Any ideas welcome!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum!

We just cooked up a 20 pound (well, 18.7 pound) brisket. We've also done whole rib roasts (12+ pounds), whole PSMO (tenderloin + chain meat), and pretty much any other big chunk of beef you want to mention.

I love to use a dry rub (similar to THIS ) with a splash of soy sauce and let it marinate for a couple of days. (this is what we did with the brisket but let it sit for 7 full days)

If you are doing it in the oven, you can set it up on a rack in your roasting pan. I like to pour some beef stock (3-4 cups) and red wine (1/2 to 1 bottle) on the bottom of the pan for moisture and to create the base of a rich sauce. I've been cooking cuts like you're using at about 300-350 until the meat reaches 100 degrees then pulling it out and tenting with aluminum. Let rest on the stove until the meat is up to about 110 and oven is heated to 550 degrees (or as high as your oven will go). Remove foil. Put back in oven to brown outside and finish cooking until it reaches 125. (carry over should take to about 130)

You can also slow smoke it if you have access to a smoker.

ETA: As far as stretching goes, make sure to do a nice thin slice of the beef. (I like this best anyway for presentation and maximizing tenderness and flavor)

You can also serve plenty of appetizers that people will enjoy eating before dinner. Plenty of side dishes. Have a side dish (or even like a 2nd main dish) that you know the kids will LOVE.
And set your desserts out where people can see what is to come :lickout:

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
1) It will definitely roast faster w/o bones and yes, it is delicious. We call it Shell Steak.
2) 6 lbs will serve 12 adults 6oz @ or 60+ sliders. For a non sit down meal I would sliced the roast thinly and offer several cheeses, sauces and condiments to fix their own sliders. Some sort of Gravy is a must!
I used this recipe last year for a gathering of 27 adults. While some piled up their sliders quite high with meat, quite a few asked for a dish to dip their skinny slider into the gravy :twisted:

6 lbs of Shell Steak
4-5 garlic cloves
8 fresh sage leaves
4 ts fresh thyme leaves
4 ts salt
1 1/2 ts black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Zap the garlic, sage, thyme, salt and pepper in the blender.
Rinse and pat dry the meat with paper towels. Rub meat all over with the paste. Cover and 'marinate' in the fridge overnight or let it rest 1-2 hours on the counter. 
Bring the seasoned meat to room temp and place fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert an oven proof thermometer and bake for 15 minutes, reduce temp to 350 F. Roast until meat registers 130F for medium rare, 140 F for medium rare [45 minutes], 150F for medium  and 165 F for well done. 
Remove from oven; cover with foil and let stand 20 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/3 inch slices [or thinly for sliders] and arrange on a platter.
Lazy gravy [sorry, I don't measure anymore]: Heat the roasting pan on medium over the stove, add enough flour to make a loose paste, once foamy add 1 C of wine let it boil for a minute, add 1 C of beef stock, whisk to break up any lumps and break up any bits, once the gravy has thickened, season with salt and fresh pepper to taste. If wine is not avail, all beef stock is just as good. Enjoy!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always, do it on the lowest temperature your oven can hold, 175 or 200 F. Bring it to room temperature first. Start early, because going this low can take hours. Use a thermometer. Pull it at 115-120 degrees for rare, 125-130 for medium rare.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too Patient - I like that idea of cooking it low then spiking it to crisp it up. I think I'll try that!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1324447591|3085882 said:
Too Patient - I like that idea of cooking it low then spiking it to crisp it up. I think I'll try that!

It works well for several different cuts. I actually saw this on Alton Brown's show (Good Eats) and he explained the technical details of why it works.

I do make sure there is liquid on the bottom of the pan before turning the heat up (otherwise the house fills with smoke and the gravy tastes burned :nono: ). If it isn't crisped enough as it nears the temperature you want it at, you can turn on the broiler for a minute to finish it up.

Good luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did this yesterday for the party and doing it again tonight, good idea on the liquid! My ayi flipped out yesterday when the house filled with smoke lol kept muttering in Chinese about expensive and stinky lol she thought it was ruined, but really it was rare. I couldn't get it up to temp in my tiny convection oven at that temp. Gonna just leave it in the oven and turn up the heat once it gets to 110.

Great suggestion tho, wonderfully even cooking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results