shape
carat
color
clarity

Kmom ponders.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Should I even consider a pair of diamond earrings from the mall (EVERYONE GASP!). They were O-P/I1s, .75 ctw and were $299. That''s kind of a lot for me right now for a "just for fun" pair. I got to loupe them and they were probably true I1s as they had some inclusions, one even had a feather in it, but they at least were eye clean (at least to my 40+ eyes). Don''t know anything about the cut.

I feel silly even considering something like this, considering what I know now.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 9
6.gif
6.gif
3 PM
Author:Kamuelamom
but they at least were eye clean (at least to my 40+ eyes).
You know.... there are some benefits to being 40+
emwink.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you like the earrings, regardless of what you''ve learned here, you still can enjoy them and wear them for fun. If you''re even second guessing this purchase maybe instead purchase something else for around the same amount of money OR wait until you can afford a better cut pair. Three hundred isn''t THAT much money, but yet, for this amount I can think of about a billion options as far as jewlery goes (due to a one track mind
3.gif
), so regardless of the deal you''ve found at the mall jeweler, you want to make sure you''re buying something worth the money since there are other options.

Good luck deciding!!!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2004 9:17:20 PM
Author: Feydakin
Why feel silly?? I''m of the opinion that if you want startlingly white stones, buy glass..
3.gif
Hehe, true that. I''ve been kinda like the idea of owning a warm colored something one day, but I was thinking more L/M.

Lop, I''d have to agree, at least these eyes are good for something, huh?
10.gif
They help the mind clean results.
9.gif

Michelle, thanks for your suggestions. There are many options for that money as you mentioned. One of my many options is to put continue looking for and put the money into a nice (diamond) cross that I''ve been wanting for a very long time, or bump up the earrings on my diamond dream list. Can''t have both at this point. My true wish list contains a nice pair of much lighter colored earrings. I found the O/P was interesting only because I came across it. I wouldn''t have gone looking for that particular color.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If those stones were not "diamond" by name... do you think they would still be worth a post on PS ?
2.gif

You wrote about wanting something "tinted" - how does fancy light yellow sound ? Small stone sin yellow gold would look quite strongly colored. Unless everyone wears yellow diamonds in your area, these would be some nice reason for a chat about diamonds every time someone sees them on you
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria, fancy light yellow sounds quite yummy! But could I get it for that price? Hrmmmm....

Here''s a true story. My lady friend went to a tradeshow in Las Vegas. She bought a pair of earrings off one of the vendors there. It was around $300 for like .50 ctw. She took them to her jeweler here for fun, just to see what he thought. They ended up being yellow diamonds and I will say, they look great on her. He valued them at around $1300 for the pair. Sometimes you get lucky I guess.

reena

Ideal_Rock
hm, i''m not sure if you would consider this, but:

i too have been thirsting for a pair of nice diamond studs, about 1c each. now, having just got my e-ring and being in the process of saving up for a wedding AND a house, i know that there''s no chance those are coming for quite some time. so, to "fill the void" for now, i went and bought a pair of 2 TCW CZ studs in 3-prong WG martini settings from Wink for $150. they arrived yesterday, and they are awesome. we checked them out at work against my secretary''s RB center stone, and everyone agreed that they look amazingly real. (admitedly, i am not an RB person and so i don''t have a lot of experience studying RBs, but they look pretty darn good to me.) i doubt anyone will ever guess that they are fake, especially when i wear them with my real diamonds! my secretary liked them so much that she immediately ordered a pair for herself. and the coolest part of all was when i went to the diamond district wearing them after work and one of the vendors immediately complimented me on them! lol!

anyway, i don''t know if you would ever consider CZ, but i just thought i''d mention it because they did a great job of satisfying my diamond stud itch, and for not a lot of $$$ to boot.
1.gif
maybe i''ll post pics on DH later if i get motivated.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I say if you love them, treat yourself. if you don''t, think about why (are they too warm? do they really sparkle enough?) and maybe hold out for what would truly make you happy. When i am about to sepnd money I really shouldn''t, that''s my litmus test--do I REALLY love it/them and will I for the long haul??? And the times I have answered that question "yes" from my gut, I haven''t regretted it, made it work, and loved the thing to this day.
1.gif

Fancy light yellow studs are am awesome idea too. I also agree that warmer stones, especially inearrings, can be fabulous.
30.gif

These are the tough calls we must make!
2.gif
1.gif
35.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Reena, great idea. I have heard of this when contemplating size for studs too. Very practical method.

Jflo, you bring up a great point. It''s really not a need at this point, and as far as do I love them, I''d really have to say no. I must admit that I have never really seen warm colored stones until I saw that pear of earrings but for some reason I got excited when I saw them.

In my mind, warmth was more yellow. I think I''ve been picturing something closer to fancy yellow stones which I''ve seen posted. I think Didiamond has a beautiful yellow ring. Something like that. This pair was not even close to that, in fact, it was more on the brown side, which is why I think that staying in the LMN category might be more what I had in mind. I don''t know enough about it yet. The pair I mentioned which my friend scored looked more on the yellow side. They were very pretty.

Next time I''m near a jeweler again, I''ll be on the lookout for yellow stones. For some reason they have become very appealing to me. Then again, I like pink, and green, and teal, and blue too......
33.gif

9.gif
11.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ladies I have a little experiment running at present.
I have taken 1 of Drena''s nice 1ct stones out and replaced it with a shallow 1ct.
Waiting till they get naturally dirty - and I suspect that they will outperform the dirty ideal-scuts. But we will let everyone else be the judge. So far no-one has been able to tell which is which.

BTW keep those CZ''s really clean - even every day cleaning. When they are dirty they look milky.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Kmom, I was perusing Diamonds by Lauren''s eBay store last night (I find his pieces interesting and like to look around once in a while...and hey, you never know
31.gif
) and he''s got some nice fancy yellow studs, and thought of you, of course...1/3 ct yellow studs

I think the price is fair but maybe not the lowest. But I can see you in something like those (maybe a bit larger tdw) down the line (heck, i can see myself in those!
3.gif
2.gif
) if you like that look. I think yellow and "warm" are two different looks though.
1.gif

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
if something warm is what you are after, and budget is a concern, why don''t you consider a pair of light yellow diamond cut sapphire studs. they can be quite lovely!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Jflo, those are surely a nice pair! You make a great point, yet once again, that warm and yellow do differ.

Rocks, welcome to Pricescope! I like your suggestion, I think it''s practical. I guess I''d be able to get something really screaming yellow if I went that route. Not a bad idea......

I''ll have to continue thinking on this...
31.gif
Maybe I''ll just ask Santa. I''ve been good.
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
9.gif
Really, I have.
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results