shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing in person vs purchasing online!

NYC2012

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

We are starting the process of replacing my engagement ring. We got engaged several years ago, but long story short we had to cancel the wedding due to illness, and have had a bit of a road. Though its hard to part with my ring, we are looking for a fresh start with a new one!

I am having a hard time between a cushion cut or a round brilliant. I really go back and forth daily (or hourly?). We visited Engagement rings Direct and those cushions certainly were lovely. But something about a round halo I keep coming back to.

Anyways, I will definitely need help and these boards have always been great and fun to lurk on. I am definitely an online shopper of all things - I don't like doing to stores and being swayed by salespeople. But searching for a diamond online seems tough. Perhaps because I don't know exactly what I want - G or H or I; VS1 or VS2, etc and how the differences look.

We are an hour away from Good Old Gold. Do you think it may be helpful for me to see some in person, and perhaps then I can have more knowledge for online?

I am sure this will be the first of many questions! Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions!

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
If you are close to GOG, definitely visit them. And also call other reputable online vendors such as WhiteFlash, JamesAllen, BlueNile, JamesGavinDiamonds, etc. Tell them what you are looking for and they will suggest some diamonds.

NYC2012

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

We were hoping to go to GOG tomorrow, but they are closed - possibly later this week!

Meanwhile I did hear from them and are currently researching the pluses and minuses of this stone:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8920/

Do many people buy with fluoresence?

I am sending in my requests to other vendors as well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listen, if you can go to Good Old Gold, you won't need to go anywhere else. You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about diamonds and then some! I honestly can't think of a better place to go! They will be happy to show you diamond colors. I have had a stone with med. blue fluor. for years and never knew it was there until a jeweler mentioned it when I was considering a reset. I consider fluor. a real bonus because it is a neat natural characteristic and because of some strange prejudice from the past, the stones are discounted a little! I have purposely looked for fluor. for that reason! If for some reason they don't have what you want in the store, they can get anything called in for you to see. You are extremely lucky to live only an hour from GOG!

Oh, and by all means make an appointment if you can. They will schedule time with you and pull stones for you to look at. They are open Tues. thru Sat. And if you happen to see Jonathan, tell him that diamondseeker said to tell him :wavey: !

(Oh, and that is a gorgeous stone! You just have to see if it meets your color and clarity preferences.)

NYC2012

Rough_Rock
Thank you! We are going to try to make an appointment for this week! Good to know about the fluoresence, I honestly don't think it will both me. I am used to having a very white diamond, so don't want to stray too much from that. This one looks very pretty to me.

As for clarity, I read in a different thread then an above 2 carat round you should look for VS2 at the least, so I am wondering about that SI1.

They did not seem so have much in stock, Sarah said my combination was hard to come by (which confused me a bit, I think I was asking for something really without knowing it). Is it best to stick with Hearts and Arrows? James Allen seems to have more available.

I am planning on doing a lot of reading on diamonds today, I need to get up to par!

Thanks again for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results