shape
carat
color
clarity

How a visit to GOG turned me from PoH's to chunky AVC's

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
I suppose this journey of mine started a few months ago when my girlfriend playfully started window shopping in mall jewelry stores. Since the beginning we knew we were sizing each other up for marriage potential, and after 8 months or so we both knew we were perfect for each other. I took that early opportunity to figure out what she generally liked. She liked rounds and princesses, but expressed a desire for something unique or at least less common. Later in my research I found the Princess of Hearts diamond, something that seemed to fit the bill quite nicely. Square shape, cool cut corners, H&A optics, great light performance. What's not to love? There was something about its straight edges and the symmetry of the arrows that I found really attractive. That and the fire it gave off in Good Old Gold's YouTube videos were beautiful. For months, I thought I was set and a few weeks ago, I actually reserved one and went in to see it for myself.

That was when things changed. I arrived at GOG after a 2 hour drive and sat down at the counter while waiting for Charles to come around from the back. Out of the corner of my eye I was hit with some beautiful diamond fire. I peered down at the diamond and noticed the signature maltese cross facets in the center of the table and knew instantly that it was one of the much talked about August Vintage Cushions I've read about here at PriceScope. Moments later I was viewing my prized Princess of Hearts I had on reserve and, much against my wishes, I was a tad underwhelmed. It was a good looking diamond alright, but it didn't "wow" me like it did on the online videos. I came to realize the feeling was a familiar one, as I had a similar feeling of mild disillusionment when I first saw the round .81ct H&A stone I picked out for my first wife. Pretty, bright, and sparkly, yes, but I was expecting more fireworks and more of a visible arrows pattern. This being the second time I've noticed this, I came to the conclusion that the beauty and precision I saw in the 50x magnified images and videos just don't come through that clearly on stones 1ct size and lower. Somehow, especially with the tiny faceting on the diamond's edges, it doesn't come through at "real world" viewing distances. While I wouldn't use the dread term "crushed ice" to describe H&A stones, in that size and at a regular viewing distance the facets looked very tiny and crushed looking. It was even hard to appreciate the straight, hard lines of the PoH shape due to the optics at the edge.

Remembering the sparks that hit my eye at the counter, I asked to see the August Vintage Cushions for kicks. I was pretty convinced I wouldn't like them as much due to its cushiony pillow shape and lack of cool-looking arrow facets (which I thought were the epitome of modern light return cutting design). I also am not a "vintage" loving guy who likes antiquey looking things, so the "old world-ness" of it didn't appeal to me when I first heard about them. That changed the instant I saw one again. WOW! :cheeky: Unlike the PoH, I was instantly impressed with the beautiful, fiery, and clean looking facets on this baby. Not only that, but unlike the PoH which to me had a smallish appearance, this looked like a 1ct stone! Despite its roots & marketing this didn't look like an antique to me, but a modern wonder that surpassed H&A's light performance by a mile. I did some looking through their inventory, and came across this steal of a stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8624/

It's an absolutely eye clean VS2, it's an amazing icy white E color, and it's the most square looking variety of cushion cut I've seen (many of their AVC's were rectangular). I had to get over the mental/paper block of missing the coveted AGS 000 mark by its 1 rating for polish and it "only" being .94ct, but considering that slight mathematical deviance saved me $2,000-$3,000, it was almost a no-brainer. Right now it's on its way to Vatche to be set on a platinum solitaire ring with channel set baguettes in the band. It should be done in 2-3 weeks, and I can't wait to see it and post the pictures up in the bling section! Huge thanks to all involved! Jon at GOG for creating those modern yet vintage beauties, Charles for all the time he spent showing me the inventory as my mind shifted from one diamond to the next, Sarah and Lynda at GOG for their advice and patience with all the questions I sent to them over the past few months, and all of you at PS who helped along the way! If anybody is in the market for a round, square, or rectangular diamond you must check out the August Vintage line because nothing will emit such beautifully fiery bling as those babies. H&A and modern faceting, to me, is no longer all it's cracked up to be, especially in non-huge diamonds.

Big moral of the story: no lab report, light analysis, high-mag image, or even high-def video can ever substitute seeing the diamond in person. You'd be surprised at what your own eyes will tell you in the "real world". That, and if you live within a possible driving distance of Good Old Gold, go there. Just make it happen. You will not be disappointed. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Stoopid Monkey :wavey: - that's a great story!

Sometimes it is so true - what we have in our head as the 'perfect' ideal item.... often pales when you see it in real life. And what a pleasant surprise to stumble upon something unique and new - just like your love for your fiance to be! Congratulations on 2 counts - finding a soul mate and discovering something new about your diamond preferences.

All the best - can't wait for more details about setting :appl: , proposal :love: , hand shots... :naughty:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
what a great story and beautiful stone! can't wait for the final result!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I loved reading this! :appl: I am actually in the process of possibly changing from H&A to AVC, so this was very encouraging to hear!

I can't wait to see your ring! And finding a .94 was perfect!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
One day I will drive to GOG. Thanks for the great story!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
congratulations!! and I am so jealous that you got to go to GOG :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too cool! I also want to go to GOG to check out the goods. Road-trip? :mrgreen:

But in the meantime, do let us live vicariously, and post many pictures after you propose!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very funny avatar! Cool story--can't wait to see the ring!

cheers--Sharon

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody! Just as a sneak preview, this is the setting it's going to be married with:

X_Prong_Princess_497e74faa77a3.gif

Between the fact that there are not many in NJ that have ever seen an August Vintage Cushion diamond (or a regular cushion for that matter) and that this ring has channel set baguettes instead of the traditional rounds/princesses, I feel this is going to be a -very- unique ring that balances traditional stylings with a modern touch. Much like the AVC it's being paired with as a matter of fact. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the finished ring! Gonna be pretty I'm sure!

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Monkey-

I know I posted before about how similar our stories were, and they continue to do so :)
I also drove out to GOG this past week to look at stones and settings (closer to a 2.5 hr drive for me) and I worked with Charles as well. What a nice guy! He took the time to go over all of my questions and was very pleasant. In fact, all of the people there were terrific. I also spoke with Marie about some settings and found a fantastic Beverly K that I really like.

I agree- If anyone is in driving distance and has not yet visited GOG's store, do yourself a favor. Excellent, family run business that has the service of a small family business and the products to compete with any large retailer out there.

Chas23

Rough_Rock
Trade
THanks Chris, you were a pleasure to work with. I hope your engagement goes perfect!! :D

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Monkey - it looks wonderful - choice of stone and setting :appl:
Best wishes! =)

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
My Precious is done!! :)

I can't wait to get it on Friday and see what it looks like in sunlight! Will post pics, but unfortunately no hand shots on its future recipient for a month. I have plans. :naughty: Details, if I forgot to mention them: Vatche style 108 Royal X-Prong with Channel Baguettes, custom 900/100 Plat/Iridium mix (thanks to PS for that recommendation), ring size 9. When I first saw this setting months ago I fell in love with it. The shank is substantial yet feminine in its curves, and the diamonds complement the center stone without competing for attention. It's beautiful in its balanced and artful simplicity, and WOW does that icy white E color blend nicely with the platinum! She's going to love it!

CL%20Vatche%20108%20with%20094ct%20E%20VS2%20AVC%20Front.jpg

CL%20Vatche%20108%20with%20094ct%20E%20VS2%20AVC%20side.jpg

CL%20Vatche%20108%20with%20094ct%20E%20VS2%20AVC%20side%202.jpg

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Oooo, pretty. Congrats! Looking forward to hand shots when the time comes

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks A-MAZ-ING!!! Gorgeous ring and very bright white! Congratulations - looking forward to seeing this on its new owner soon!

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
IRL pics are up in Show Me the Bling! Thanks everybody!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love: Off to look at the other pics! And thanks for telling me that Vatche will alter the platinum alloy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1321640914|3064590 said:
Gorgeous! :love: Off to look at the other pics! And thanks for telling me that Vatche will alter the platinum alloy! :appl: :appl: :appl:

They can alter the alloy, but it's not something they do a lot (at least that's the impression they gave GOG). There was a certain amount of "Ok, if that's what you want though I don't understand why" on their end, but after all I read about how the 900/100 Iridium mix puts its scratch resistance close to that of yellow gold (as explained here: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to toughen it up while I had the chance. I originally asked about 950/50 Ruthenium, but they don't like working with that because it's more brittle and darker than the traditional 950/50 Iridium mix they're used to working with, according to them at least. Just some context to keep in mind should you ever ask for a custom mix.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have owned a 950/50 ruthenium and it was RIDICULOUSLY heavy. When I got my Royal Crown (whatever their normal mix is) I was like "this is platinum?? its SO LIGHT!"

emeraldmurphy

Rough_Rock
StoopidMonkey|1321641467|3064598 said:
diamondseeker2006|1321640914|3064590 said:

They can alter the alloy, but it's not something they do a lot (at least that's the impression they gave GOG). There was a certain amount of "Ok, if that's what you want though I don't understand why" on their end, but after all I read about how the 900/100 Iridium mix puts its scratch resistance close to that of yellow gold (as explained here: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to toughen it up while I had the chance. I originally asked about 950/50 Ruthenium, but they don't like working with that because it's more brittle and darker than the traditional 950/50 Iridium mix they're used to working with, according to them at least. Just some context to keep in mind should you ever ask for a custom mix.

Thanks for the heads up, saw this just in time to change the Vatche setting I ordered this morning for another AVC. Thanks for the tip, and sure it will turn out great. Fortunately Marie at GoG and the Vatche rep were understanding and no issue or price difference.

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
I just have to say something for anybody considering an AVC. I just took the ring out of its secret hiding spot again, as would-be proposers anxiously waiting until the pre-determined date & time are wont to do, and brought it outdoors to take another peek at it. How this thing was able to transmute the dull, gray skies of the coming winter into a fireworks show of bold, beautiful flashes of color is simply amazing. I've had a well cut hearts & arrows stone before and I never remember it wowing me like this. Just something to consider if you're on the fence. ;-)

T-minus 2 weeks, 4 days until proposal time...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you love it! I cannot wait for handshots and proposal details!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wohooo, off to see SMTR!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results