shape
carat
color
clarity

Should PSers comment on prices?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1320823380|3057607 said:
And I wanted to say thank you to Ella and Andrey for giving us something we've been clamoring for for quite a while! :wavey:

I TOTALLY agree with this. Thank you to the entire PS staff for the pre-loved forum!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1320823929|3057611 said:
And I wanted to say thank you to Ella and Andrey for giving us something we've been clamoring for for quite a while! :wavey:

I TOTALLY agree with this. Thank you to the entire PS staff for the pre-loved forum!

Thritto. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1320823929|3057611 said:

Another +1.
I'm glad this has been hashed out (it was an overdue and essential discussion) and while it didn't go "my way" I get that I am a guest here and respect admin AND the community and thanks for giving us this much appreciated forum.

When I get the time I have some things to sell a Rolex, a Christian Bauer mens platinum ring with a 0.24 ct EC diamond, a couple fine round diamonds and maybe one FCD.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Ella and Andrey for the Preloved forum and for supporting considerate but frank discussion about pricing!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I was the one who posted the original comment, and it wasn't intended to be malicious or whatever serveral respondants tried to accuse me of. I didn't see it as a controversial statement at all, and it's ridiculous for others to chime in claiming it was.. Why didn't you ask what I meant by it if you felt that offended? I think some people are a bit too sensitive and always ready to cry foul when people don't word things exactly how they would have worded it. Is that was is to become of this forum? I have read several disussions where someone comes in chastising someone for "being rude" and stating that it's "how you say it".. You cannot possibly detect tone from a one liner. The amazing part of this forum has always been diversity. It would be SAD if people decided to become net police and demand that everyone words everything uniformly so "no one gets offended". I'm quite frankly offended by the pressure to conform to an unspecified standard! If we all sound the same, what would be the point of an open forum?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1320864073|3057919 said:
Another +1.
I'm glad this has been hashed out (it was an overdue and essential discussion) and while it didn't go "my way" I get that I am a guest here and respect admin AND the community and thanks for giving us this much appreciated forum.

When I get the time I have some things to sell a Rolex, a Christian Bauer mens platinum ring with a 0.24 ct EC diamond, a couple fine round diamonds and maybe one FCD.
:mrgreen: I'm also glad we got all the views out in the open, and extra glad that Ella stepped in.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Karl, I agree with you metal doesn't stay new. Unfortunately, steel like my watches were/ are, gold, and platinum each have different molecular/ wear properties but none can be "polished" to new. Sadly, it just doesn't work that way. Scratches, dents, impressions, wear they all trigger a mild "mind clean" freak out for me. But this is just the way it is when you have to polish off metal and/ or press it back into shape. This is why I adore platinum when it's new but won't have it for an everyday ring. The molecules shape shift because you can't wear it off- as far as I can tell no metal can be put back to it's original state by polishing.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
The seller has every right to dictate the price as long as the stats and information provided are truthful, accurate.

As to PSers comment on price? Why not? This is a user advocate forum - people come here to learn and get advice.

If potential buyers are not happy about the price they can negotiate with the sellers in private, or simply not buy. Sellers who don't like to deal with comments on price can chose not to respond or even sell somewhere else like ebay.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know, I really don't think it's "rude" to comment on someone's piece being overpriced. As others have said, PS is about advocating for and informing consumers of new and secondhand pieces. Some of PS's sponsors even pay for the privilege of being abused around here! Also, if the comment is inaccurate, I do trust PS to have advocates on the other side.

I do feel bad for anyone who didn't see the criticism coming and feels attacked, but I suppose we're all "on notice" now. For that matter, if you just post the item without adding a thread, I suspect you'll get some traffic now that all of PS knows about "that other site."

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the record as a still new PS'er (Brilliant only because I have to "GUSH" over all the jewelry I see here)... I WELCOME feedback on my listing in Preloved Jewels.... I want to sell the items, I don't want to give them away and I also don't want to sit on them for the next three years hoping they sell. I did have some help since they are listed with JbEG... who I think does a nice job and she checked them out and polished them... so they look fabulous... So... please feel free to comment.... I love hearing what the experts think!!!! I have thick skin!!! :wavey:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/split-shank-halo-setting-and-two-eternity-bands-t168049.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/split-shank-halo-setting-and-two-eternity-bands-t168049.html[/URL]

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I am truly sorry for what AJ is going through and the fact that she feels she has to sell a beloved piece of jewelry to help a family member. This personal decision must have been truly hard for her to make.

From a business point of view, as a buyer, I want a fair price for something. A seller can ask whatever they want for something and it is up to me as the buyer to decide what I want to pay for it. Just because a seller feels something is worth X doesn't mean that in a certain market it will sell for that! I think that the Preloved forum is a great PS resource and I think that all comments should be kept open to help buyers. This is an advocacy site and I appreciate all the opinions that are expressed here out of genuine love for good quality jewlelry and a desire to protect and help consumers get a good price and a fair transaction.

I really don't care about a sob story attached to a potential purchace as a motivator for me to feel sorry for someone.

I think if she posted her ring as a business transaction and kept the emotions out of it, she might have a better chance of selling it. If her price is unreasonable, that is something that the buyer and her need to work out.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's really interesting how, since the advent of the Preloved Forum, PS *POSTERS* are now falling into the same "defend yourself at all costs, big picture be damned" trap that has caught so many PS VENDORS over the years. And it leaves the same icky emotional hangover & bad taste in everyone's mouth afterwards IMHO.

When you're acting like a VENDOR -- act how you expect VENDORS to act. Professionally. Without emotion. Heaven forbid being defensive & aggressive and bullying! You're going to be held to the same standards as VENDORS. And if you falter, YOU are the one sabotaging the sale of your own items ... no one else. WE CAN ONLY CONTROL OURSELVES people! And control our REACTIONS to things. We can't police everything that is said about us or our items. Geez.

ETA: Keeping personal hardship stories out of item descriptions is 100% PRACTICAL (imho) --- seriously, who except hardcore Sadists want to buy some beloved item that the person selling doesn't actually want to part with & is doing so under duress. NO ONE. That's why PAWN SHOPS exist. Because they are HEARTLESS. And will shield the ultimate purchaser from the HARDSHIP STORY.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, money changes everything.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1321384432|3062301 said:
It's really interesting how, since the advent of the Preloved Forum, PS *POSTERS* are now falling into the same "defend yourself at all costs, big picture be damned" trap that has caught so many PS VENDORS over the years. And it leaves the same icky emotional hangover & bad taste in everyone's mouth afterwards IMHO.

When you're acting like a VENDOR -- act how you expect VENDORS to act. Professionally. Without emotion. Heaven forbid being defensive & aggressive and bullying! You're going to be held to the same standards as VENDORS. And if you falter, YOU are the one sabotaging the sale of your own items ... no one else. WE CAN ONLY CONTROL OURSELVES people! And control our REACTIONS to things. We can't police everything that is said about us or our items. Geez.

ETA: Keeping personal hardship stories out of item descriptions is 100% PRACTICAL (imho) --- seriously, who except hardcore Sadists want to buy some beloved item that the person selling doesn't actually want to part with & is doing so under duress. NO ONE. That's why PAWN SHOPS exist. Because they are HEARTLESS. And will shield the ultimate purchaser from the HARDSHIP STORY.
I completely agree with this. I really want to buy one of the items posted, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because, as shared in the Preloved forum, I know the seller is only selling it under financial duress. I *know* all the things you can say about why I shouldn't care about that, but it just makes the whole thing feel icky to me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said Deco.

While I don't think consumers/private parties selling wares are the same thing as a business, the bottom line is that you should conduct yourself in a business like manner. That means professional and polite. If I am selling something on craigslist, I am going to just be about business, period. If I were buying from ANYONE, be it a vendor here, or a PSer, I'd be super turned off by a sob story. My reaction would be, "Well, I'm really sorry, but if you need the business so badly, please offer me a good discount and I'll think about it." It's not that I don't feel for that person, but I'm acting as a buyer. It's business.

And actually, my knee jerk reaction would be to flee. I don't need to do a business transaction with that kind of baggage.

But yeah, if you want the business, offer it at a good price, or be open to negotiation.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thread is gone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe she herself requested for it to be deleted and she may relist without the backstory. She's asked people to be respectful and not put in any two cents that might impede her sale.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1321387560|3062345 said:
The thread is gone.
yes, gone with the wind!..did you say something rude??... :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if I list my diamond at a high price and someone makes comments I don't like I can just have the entire thread deleted and start over? :???: :???: :???:

I thought Ella said price comments were not to be restricted.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, that is what Ella said. AJ is just requesting that people mind their manners (or something to that effect). I don't know exactly what she means by that. But since discussion on pricing is permitted, I would imagine comments wouldn't be deleted should she decide to post that link again.

And other PSers recommended she start over because of the included backstory, and the perceived lack of need for it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1321388439|3062356 said:
Kenny, that is what Ella said. AJ is just requesting that people mind their manners (or something to that effect). I don't know exactly what she means by that. But since discussion on pricing is permitted, I would imagine comments wouldn't be deleted should she decide to post that link again.

And other PSers recommended she start over because of the included backstory, and the perceived lack of need for it.

But no poster broke PS rules in the thread.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
decodelighted|1321384432|3062301 said:

:appl:

I also really dislike sob stories attached to sales, for reasons in addition to the ones you listed. I think it screams of a sales pitch (please feel SO badly for me that you buy my overpriced item. Oh, and you better not mention it is overpriced because of my sad "situation") If it was a stand alone thread, sure go ahead get advice and support. But when it is involved with the sale of something, where you make a profit, it makes me doubt the person involved. I am not saying everyone makes up stories in order to aid a sale, but it always crosses my mind. What possible purpose could such a story have regarding a sale?

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1321388439|3062356 said:

We must mind our manners, or at least mind them according to her own definition of manners. :rolleyes:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she had it deleted because of all the backwards and forewards commenting... nothing to do with the price as such.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1321388990|3062362 said:
I think she had it deleted because of all the backwards and forewards commenting... nothing to do with the price as such.

TONS of threads get backwards and forwards commenting but stay up.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember that in addition to broken rules, threads may also be removed at the request of the OP or at the discretion of the PS staff if we feel that the spirit of the thread is not in accordance with the PS policies.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ella.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results