shape
carat
color
clarity

Fitting a 6mm diamond into a 5.5mm bezel? + more ques :)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
There's a halo bezel ring that I'm contemplating buying and I have a few questions from the bezel experts :)

It's a bezel halo setting and it currently has a .50 carat diamond in it. The jeweler said that it wouldn't be a problem or damage the bezel to remove it and set mine. I had always read that once a diamond is removed from the bezel that the piece is a goner. Is that incorrect?

The bezel holds a 5.5mm(.50 carat) diamond and mine is 6.01-6.03mm (.80 carat). When I told this to the jeweler, they said no problem, that it would fit. The actual bezel is somewhat thick, and I was hoping to have it thinned out and probably milgrained. Again, I thought for a bezel that the bezel had to be made to fit that diamond. Am I wrong? :confused:

I guess everything I've read on PS over the years contradicts what I was told today :?: The jeweler is a very reputable one so I don't have any reason not to believe them. They are currnetly double checking with a benchman to make sure it would fit correctly.

Thank you!

Feb03Bride

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Feb! I'm not an expert, but I'm surprised that it would fit. It just seems like too big of a difference to me?

ETA: Okay, if the jeweler is a reputable one, then I guess I'd believe them. But hmmm.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
will they guarantee their work? If they have a very strong guarantee/waranty, then it is in their best interest to be very honest with you, and I'd trust them. I'm not an expert though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a ring with similar design? I think they'd have to remake the whole bezel to fit a larger stone. I probably wouldn't risk doing this, personally.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What they're going to do, in all likelihood, is saw off the top of the bezel and solder on a new, thinner bezel into which to set the 6 mm stone. With a good jeweler, I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing this, especially if you think the current bezel is on the fat side.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get it in writing, insure the piece and talk to the benchman yourself and make sure you are on the same page.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results