shape
carat
color
clarity

Our puppy Abby, need some advice...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
glad she is doing better. Look for another vet- yours is bad in so many ways. Never do shots and surgery at the same time.
Also, according to my vet small dogs should not be going up and down stairs so soon after surgery.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad she is doing better. Hopefully, just a little more time and she'll be back to her normal puppy self!
Sorry you had to go through this...what an ordeal!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Luv, I am SO, SO happy for you!

I ended up crying and hugging my puppy after reading your post. (My husband thought I went off the deep end until he read and saw the pics of Abby) I am thrilled she's doing so well.

If it's possible, I would still get her out to another vet in the area that's perhaps more specialized. I think maybe in these immediate days following it's critical to see if there is anything that can be done medically at this point to facilitate her recovery.

She sounds wonderful! I hope you keep posting updates because I am actively following. Sending loads more dust and prayers and lots of love to your beautiful Abby!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been waiting for new updates. I'm glad she's shown some improvement so far, that's good. Did the vet do a blood check before her surgery? When we've had our pets spayed/neutered they've always checked the blood to see somehow if the dog was likely to have any problem with the anaesthetic. Maybe they are just doing a general wellness check, I really don't know, but it is a requirement before surgery. Since hearing about your case I've been googling and have found that blindness after surgery CAN be one of the risks, although it is very rare. I don't know if they were negligent or not, but it sounds like they weren't well prepared. I'm so sorry you went through this with Abby. Hope to hear more good news soon!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again to everyone! Abby is very close to being back to herself. She is tormenting our other dog Maxx, so I guess that is a good
sign!

I do think there were probably some mistakes made at the Humane Society. Truthfully, if you would have asked me, I would have told you before this that I would have trusted them over a private vet. I guess because of who they were. The people that we spoke to there were all so kind, but the doctor who signed off on her surgery was not one I spoke too. The emergency vet recommended a vet close to where we live and we will be going to see him from now on. I will be going to see him tomorrow just for a little check up. Abbys abdomen looks horrible but doesn't seem to bother her a bit.

Pinkjewel mentioned she shouldn't go up the stairs so soon and that is probably true. Except for that one time, she is carried. It was a
good indication of her motor skill improvement so I encouraged her that one time.

I am posting a pic of her abdomen and and interesting shot of her eyes. My son had a birthday over the weekend and he wanted the pups in his birthday photo. Maxx's eyes photograph red and Abby's a yellow green. I am not sure what that means. She can definitely see, but how much I can't be sure.

I won't take any kind of legal actions against the Humane Society. What purpose would that serve? I will just go to Dr. Price from now on.
The other two vets both said it could have happened to them as well.

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad Abby is doing well!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
I am glad you are switching vets and good luck at her next appt!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I'm happy to hear she's doing so much better! Any way a vet can gauge her eye sight for you guys?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilythespitfire|1317164217|3027332 said:
I'm happy to hear she's doing so much better! Any way a vet can gauge her eye sight for you guys?

I dont really think so Lily, other than watch to see how she is tracking and that her pupils are equal and reactive to light.

Ugh, the cute little bugger just peed on my couch pillows. Good thing I was going to throw them out and get new ones anyway....

I hope this doesn't affect her ability to learn....

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oh luv2 im so so pleased she's doing better =) :appl: what a little sweetheart! and im so glad you realise that this occasionally happens and arent blaming the humane society :wavey: thanks for being a great pup-mum!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm so glad to read she's doing better!

And yeah - switching vets sounds very reasonable, even if the only reason at all is for your peace of mind.

Two of our cats have identical eyes and I've got photos that look just like that, where one's are red and the others are yellow or something strange, so that might just be the photo :))

Lots of recovery dust!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad Abby is doing better!. :appl:

Sending tons more dust for her full recovery.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Luv - I think the eye reflection is photo is probably just angle and could be related to eye color as well! I'm glad your girl is doing so much better.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1317180011|3027546 said:
Oh I'm so glad to read she's doing better!

And yeah - switching vets sounds very reasonable, even if the only reason at all is for your peace of mind.

Two of our cats have identical eyes and I've got photos that look just like that, where one's are red and the others are yellow or something strange, so that might just be the photo :))

Lots of recovery dust!

That makes me feel so much better Yssie! Both Maxx and Abby's eyes are brown and really dark, so I am so glad to hear that. I was afraid
it was a sign of damage to her eyes.

Thanks Blackpaw, if one good thing has come out of this, it is that we have found a great vet! I have looked for one before but the reviews I read were always so mixed that I could never feel comfortable committing to one, which is why we kept going to the Humane Society. I won't ever take a pet there for spaying/neutering again for one reason. They do too many a day. When I dropped off Abby, there was probably 15-20 other dogs and cats for that day. With that kind of volume, accidents are more likely to happen. I can't say enough good things about the people there though. They were all very kind and I like them very much. At the two week mark I plan to take Abby back so that they can see she is all right.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our vet did a blood test to find out which of the anesthetics they use would be best for Millie when we took her in to be spayed so that she wouldn't have any bad reactions. I wish I had taken pictures of her right after to show, but she didn't look anything like that. There was just a small amount of bruising right at the incision but no redness and certainly no marks other than RIGHT there.

I'm glad she's feeling better and you got a recommendation for a good vet near you.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another note, the Humane Society just called me again to check on Abby. When I told the lady (Dawn) who called, that she
was doing great and is almost completely back to normal she said 'that makes me want to cry, I am so happy'. So when all is said and
done, these people are really very caring. Every person there has been kind and caring, and you can't ask more than that. Stuff happens
but if it is a big concern to the people helping you it makes a BIG difference!

I will definitely ask for her when I bring Abby in to show them!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sending you dust. Abby is just adorable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results