shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me MOVE To a New Town

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if San Diego has enough seasons for you, but it does have everything else you asked for!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Haven|1315276849|3010443 said:
CHICAGO,
Our winters aren't too bad, the average temps get as low as the mid-teens, so not below zero, at least.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago, used to live there for a while, but are you serious?!? It's baltic in the winter there :shock:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315258591|3010247 said:
Actually, iLander, I'm not thinking of a specific town -- there are many neat ones west & SW of Richmond. Nottoway, Dinwiddie (y?), Amelia court House, Powhatan, Farmville, Dillwyn. Countryside & farms & beauteous woods & antique places, but close enough to get into Richmond or Petersburg (not much happens there, though), or DC if you want to see an exhibit, etc. Too far NW & you get into DC-commuter housing prices & traffic. Another good thing is that depending on where you live, taxes in Va. are bearable.

Then there's always the Northern Neck & other watery areas. Real estate is more expensive, of course, but it's a wonderful place to live. We are in N. Carolina now, but I'm headed upstream in a few years.

I agree that Penn. is gorgeous. What glorious country they have there! My first & always place I feel most at home is New Hampshire or VT but I am simply unwilling to pay their taxes.

--- Laurie

You lived in NH? The property taxes are kind of high but there's no income or sales tax.
I was going to recommend New England for the distinct seasons, proximity to cities like Boston, Portland, and Providence, but you've already nixed two states, and the winters here, as you know, can be brutal.

I don't know, I think you've got a good thing going in NC. We lived there briefly and the weather was pretty darn near perfect.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
In some ways the weather is great, Zoe, but it depends on where you live in NC. The mts. are super -- not too hot in summer, and they have real winter but not too much of it. We live in southern NC in the Piedmont & summers are absolutely brutal here. Humidity in the 80% to 95% range from May to Sept. & temps often reach high 90s. Summer is like winter other places -- no kids out playing, a few suicidal joggers or bikers but most people work out in the gym to avoid a heart attack from the weather! Everybody stays inside away from the incredible mugginess. I miss winter -- it snows maybe once, usually not at all, & is gone in a couple hours. Spring is truly truly magnificent, most beautiful season anywhere on earth. Otherwise, meh.

Comparing taxes between here & New England, in the majority of New Hampshire towns, for instance, property taxes alone, even for smaller properties than ours in NC, are more than we pay in this county for property & state tax combined. Without sales or income tax, NH has to make it up somewhere. VT is higher because of their myriad social programs, and Mass. out of the question. Maine's new governor has lowered theirs to some extent -- but you get into mega-winter in Maine; I grew up in Rochester NY & had my fill of those! I'd adore to live in NH or VT in an antique house, love the rural-ness & the culture is my cup of tea, plus Boston is reachable for exhibits & restaurants, shopping, etc., from much of the area. Have always felt New England was "home" but DH is retired & I'm not willing to pay the gov't for the privilege of living there.

I'm an east-coaster by nature -- so VA is good too -- winter but not too much, lots of history, beautiful countryside, several cities w/good stuff to do & tons of other activities available. Taxes are not the lowest, but do-able, especially property taxes are hilariously small in many counties.

Rambling too much!

--- Laurie

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't lived there but I visited a friend a few years back who lived in Kennett Square, PA. I liked it a lot - quaint but so central to everything. Its an old township with a Main Street with lots of specialty shops and good restaurants and 15-20 minutes away from either Philly or Wilmington. When we wanted to go into the city, we could pick which one. :D I suspect real estate prices are high there but if you're not in a hurry you can be on the lookout for foreclosures. That's what she did and she got her house at an excellent price for the area. The winter during the Christmas I was there didn't seem that bad to me and I'm a wimpy Southerner but it still felt like winter.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I thought of a couple of places based on what you wrote ilander... and one feels like it sticks out more to me. I won't say which until I hear your thoughts.

The first was Savannah Georgia. You'll have a peaceful atmosphere, while still having things to do. There will always be new art exhibits from the art school as well. There is shopping, and great food. The traffic is ho hum. You'll get four distinct seasons, but generally no sub zero winters. There are parks, and you'd probably be able to find a place with a yard as well. It is beautiful there. It also is not so far from different things that you couldn't go visit, say Jacksonville, or the coast, or the mountains, or other parts of Georgia.

The other place I thought of was Charleston SC. I haven't been there in many years, but I remember lots of shopping and restaurants. I don't know what the traffic is like now. Again, you'd get four very distinct seasons, with a strong fall season. There are many neighborhoods there. I'm not as sure about parks, but I"m sure there are some. You're also a hop skip to the mountains which is awesome, and again, not too far from other things. It actually would put you a hair closer to DC if you're interested in going up there sometimes.

I think anywhere in FL would lack some of the seasonal distinctions you might want. We do get a very distinct fall, but not as many leaf changes. I think you're wanting a generally distinct but mild winter, so any place very far north is going to be out. I'd actually rule out anything north of VA/Ohio area. You might like Kentucky but it'd depend on what part. Louisville isn't it though. I don't know that Texas has a distinct fall (anyone?). I do know the major cities there are MAJOR, so not as many parks, lots of traffic. CA is out b/c they don't have a really distinct winter in all areas (though northern CA might, but again, you'd have to find that distinction for sub zero). There's Louisiana, but again, not sure about season distinctions. Alabama doesn't have as many interesting sights as the ones I mentioned above I think. Atlanta is far too busy traffic wise. Tennessee would be nice as well, maybe Gatlinburg, but it would depend on if you want to be up in the mountains. Though I will say you'd get some cooler weather, and the mountains are BEAUTIFUL to drive through or walk through when it is drippy but not quite raining. You'd get waterfalls and lots of deer too. Pigeon Forge has beautiful areas around it if you did consider Tennessee. Again though, not Nashville b/c of traffic. I think you've had some other really great suggestions, but some of them I'd worry about one facet or the other of what you are looking for.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
If you weren't looking for a city, I'd also suggest Brevard, North Carolina, The seasons are beautiful there but the closest big town is Asheville and while Asheville is a very nice town, its by no means a city. However, if you're looking for good shopping, there are so many outlets in the area you may never need to go into Asheville to shop. If cultural interests are high on your list, you don't need a big city for that. Brevard and Kennett Square I mentioned above are great for culture lovers.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be in America?!? Cos if not I have a few suggestions :naughty:

April20

Ideal_Rock
What about Nashville? I grew up just north. I moved away 11 years ago, but still visit family regularly. There are some great in town neighborhoods and suburbs. Lots of restaurants, festivals and outdoor events. Tons of free music (and no, not all country. Probably half is). Cost of living is reasonable. Distinct seasons, though summer can be HOT. Winters aren't bad, though they do get snow a couple of times a year.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Colltee|1315296742|3010545 said:
CHICAGO,
Our winters aren't too bad, the average temps get as low as the mid-teens, so not below zero, at least.
Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago, used to live there for a while, but are you serious?!? It's baltic in the winter there :shock:
I'm serious. The average temps aren't below zero. I didn't say it NEVER goes below zero, but on average, it evens out to the mid-teens. :cheeky:
I went to a comedy show once and the comedian was from L.A. He did an entire piece about how crazy Chicagoans are because we walk around in shorts and t-shirts until it hits the low 40s. That seemed a bit extreme, but we are a bit tougher when it comes to cold, I suppose.

It's not like I'm in MINNESOTA! :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1315278008|3010455 said:
I'm surprised so many people said Philly -- I've lived here for 11 years but I'm SUPER excited to be moving away. Some suburbs are nice, especially the Main Line and Bucks County, and some places that are technically in the city but have a more suburban feel, like Chestnut Hill. But the downtown core is definitely not my favorite place. Like AN, I live around Rittenhouse and the parking is horrible. Street parking can take up to an hour at times, and I have a space in the cheapest garage around which is close to $200/month. It takes a minimum of 25 minutes to get out of the city, and that's if traffic isn't bad. Very few places in the "better" areas of Center City have yards, although you can get one if you're comfortable living on the fringes. Those areas have gotten much better in the last few years but still make me sort of nervous at night. I carry a handbag to work, but otherwise usually leave it at home and just carry the essentials in my pockets since I was mugged a few years ago. After college, I lived in the city for about a year (same general area as I do now), then on the Main Line for a couple years, then in the city again since I got engaged/married -- the suburbs are awesome, especially if you tend to go into the city just for fun rather than every day, but I have never felt safe living right in Philly. There are a lot of PSers here, though!

I have to disagree....I rarely have probs with traffic...I also live in bucks county and don't have traffic problems there either. I have never felt unsafe...n

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I go between old city, northern lib, and rittenhouse......no where near the scary places you guys speak of. Also, I went to temple so I am very aware of where these places are.....if the city is so dirty, why is it becoming so expensive to live there?
Also, the weather isnt extreme....

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to agree with everyone on the Philly suburb area! I grew up in South Philadelphia and spent some time on the "Main Line" of Havertown and I do enjoy it. You get a decent yard, safe neighborhoods (helps that I am friends with many police officers haha), and you are close to everything. Under 2 hours to "the shore", driving distance of VA and further south (I'm 6 hours away from OBX), day trips to DC, MD, NYC etc are easy. I think if I moved away from here I'd go insane. I like having this access even if I don't use it all the time. I should now that I'm thinking about it.

I work in a bad section of Philadelphia and enjoy my "escape" back home to civilization. Traffic isn't too bad if you pay attention to the timing.

I wonder how many of you other Philly people I've crossed paths with and didn't know it! You guys live close! :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Tennessee mts ARE beautiful, breathtaking in fact. Remind me of the Alps foothills in Switz. There's a fair amount of emigration to Knoxville - haven't been there but some friends moved there a few yrs ago & love it. I think Tenn. has no income tax too (right or no?).

Charleston is a fabulous city! There's a fair bit of traffic but not insane jams like around big cities. Culture out the wazoo, restaurants, shopping to die for, history everywhere you go, beautiful gorgeous countryside & of course the seaside. Outside Charleston there are real estate bargains to be found if you hunt a bit. The only drawback to me was that we were there in May & it was BLISTERING hot. Average for the time, people said. That heat would kill me on a regular basis. Everything else is super.

April20

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315333010|3010831 said:
Tennessee mts ARE beautiful, breathtaking in fact. Remind me of the Alps foothills in Switz. There's a fair amount of emigration to Knoxville - haven't been there but some friends moved there a few yrs ago & love it. I think Tenn. has no income tax too (right or no?).

Charleston is a fabulous city! There's a fair bit of traffic but not insane jams like around big cities. Culture out the wazoo, restaurants, shopping to die for, history everywhere you go, beautiful gorgeous countryside & of course the seaside. Outside Charleston there are real estate bargains to be found if you hunt a bit. The only drawback to me was that we were there in May & it was BLISTERING hot. Average for the time, people said. That heat would kill me on a regular basis. Everything else is super.

You are correct, no income tax in TN.

Knoxville is a nice area; very close to the mountains. And hey, it's the home field for UT football. It's a college town, but a bit too small for my tastes. Housing is reasonable though and the area is beautiful.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2|1315275803|3010429 said:
I love Richmond-I lived there for almost 12 years and just moved away this February. There are a lot of things going on for a smaller city. There's a solid art and music scene and TONS of great restaurants. Plus the cost of living is pretty low, and there are a lot of options. The Fan is fantastic and so are Carytown and the Museum District for living right in the city. There are some nice slightly more suburban areas as well, particularly on the Southside. (South of the James River.) And of course there are a ton of straight up suburbs. There isn't much traffic at all, either, which I didn't appreciate until I moved away!

In February we moved to Philly and I like it a lot. I'm not as familiar with the different areas yet, but there are a lot of different great neighborhoods in the city and further out. There is always something going on, tons of great restaurants, cute boutiques, it's close to NYC for a day trip, etc. A higher cost of living, though, depending on where you end up. Oh and traffic can be awful, especially on 76. I try to avoid 76 unless I'm desperate for a trip to King of Prussia mall. :cheeky:

I too live in Richmond, however my main gripe is the city life here isn't one where you can live in the city and leave your car at home to do errands or go out. For the most part if you want to go anywhere you have to drive! While you can go to some bars and places to eat (depending where you live) you can't walk to the grocery store or the pharmacy or something of that sort. And we have pretty much no public transit.

We DO have GREAT places to eat and some really cool museums. Its close enough to the "big city" (DC) and close enough to the beach and mountains that it's pretty ideal if you're not sure what you want to do! Also if you're a history buff, Richmond has tons of it!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1315331146|3010809 said:
I go between old city, northern lib, and rittenhouse......no where near the scary places you guys speak of. Also, I went to temple so I am very aware of where these places are.....if the city is so dirty, why is it becoming so expensive to live there?

AN, I think you have been very lucky in your experience. We can each only speak from our own perspectives, and obviously I have had a much different experience with Philly than you have. I went to Temple, too, but I don't feel a whole lot safer on 20th and Lombard than I did on Broad and Montgomery, to be honest. And I don't think being dirty really correlates to housing prices -- it's dirty because of the decaying infrastructure and people who just don't care. That doesn't mean there aren't people who like the convenience of living downtown and are willing to pay for it. Center City District does a pretty good job of cleaning up, but they can't do it all. I actually do think Philly has a lot to offer and it's more manageable than a lot of other big cities, but it also has some serious and pervasive problems.

Aside from that, I don't think anyone has mentioned the city wage tax. If iLander were to live and work within city limits, the tax is about 4% -- definitely something to take into consideration. Added to the state income tax and the higher sales tax, it eats up a good chunk of money.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
As a native of Charleston, SC, the fact that so many of you are recommending my hometown warms the cockles of my heart. :bigsmile:

That having been said, I know from several Northern friends that moved there it's culturally still a very Southern town, which depending on what you're used to can be a lot of pluses or a lot of minuses. I only mention this, iLander, because you posted awhile back that you have strong opinions and you're not afraid to speak your mind. My friends that were the most outspoken had the biggest trouble feeling comfortable living in Charleston. I'm Southern so I don't have any problems with it and I know several Northerners that have moved there and love it but some had problems with it.

The culture in Brevard, NC is not as distinctly Southern; its much smaller and its got a much more diverse mix of inhabitants from all over the United States and from around the world. I don't know what you'd call the culture there but politically, its more liberal and its a neat town.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1315335285|3010853 said:
thing2of2|1315275803|3010429 said:
I love Richmond-I lived there for almost 12 years and just moved away this February. There are a lot of things going on for a smaller city. There's a solid art and music scene and TONS of great restaurants. Plus the cost of living is pretty low, and there are a lot of options. The Fan is fantastic and so are Carytown and the Museum District for living right in the city. There are some nice slightly more suburban areas as well, particularly on the Southside. (South of the James River.) And of course there are a ton of straight up suburbs. There isn't much traffic at all, either, which I didn't appreciate until I moved away!

In February we moved to Philly and I like it a lot. I'm not as familiar with the different areas yet, but there are a lot of different great neighborhoods in the city and further out. There is always something going on, tons of great restaurants, cute boutiques, it's close to NYC for a day trip, etc. A higher cost of living, though, depending on where you end up. Oh and traffic can be awful, especially on 76. I try to avoid 76 unless I'm desperate for a trip to King of Prussia mall. :cheeky:

I too live in Richmond, however my main gripe is the city life here isn't one where you can live in the city and leave your car at home to do errands or go out. For the most part if you want to go anywhere you have to drive! While you can go to some bars and places to eat (depending where you live) you can't walk to the grocery store or the pharmacy or something of that sort. And we have pretty much no public transit.

We DO have GREAT places to eat and some really cool museums. Its close enough to the "big city" (DC) and close enough to the beach and mountains that it's pretty ideal if you're not sure what you want to do! Also if you're a history buff, Richmond has tons of it!

Very true-you can only really walk to restaurants and shops. The public transit there is pretty much useless. I was so excited to get rid of my car when I moved to Philly!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1315337791|3010891 said:
Autumnovember|1315331146|3010809 said:

AN, I think you have been very lucky in your experience. We can each only speak from our own perspectives, and obviously I have had a much different experience with Philly than you have. I went to Temple, too, but I don't feel a whole lot safer on 20th and Lombard than I did on Broad and Montgomery, to be honest. And I don't think being dirty really correlates to housing prices -- it's dirty because of the decaying infrastructure and people who just don't care. That doesn't mean there aren't people who like the convenience of living downtown and are willing to pay for it. Center City District does a pretty good job of cleaning up, but they can't do it all. I actually do think Philly has a lot to offer and it's more manageable than a lot of other big cities, but it also has some serious and pervasive problems.

Aside from that, I don't think anyone has mentioned the city wage tax. If iLander were to live and work within city limits, the tax is about 4% -- definitely something to take into consideration. Added to the state income tax and the higher sales tax, it eats up a good chunk of money.

You're definitely right, one can only speak from their own experience...I haven't written mine yet, I will when I get home. I think that for any person living in any city needs to be aware that every city has dangerous areas and need to know where they can and can't go. Are there.dirty areas? Yes, of course. Are there very clean, very pretty areas? Yes. Totally agree about the city tax point, very important to think about.

Before I get off...one of the best things about philly that NOBODY can deny is the amazing restaurants. I'll be back soon to write more.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good advice I heard: when considering a place to move to, spend some time there first & see if you like it on a daily basis. Like rent a place for a week or 2 -- some articles advise a month or 2 but who's got the time for that? -- & notice traffic, what there is to do, housing prices, how easy it is to get around, etc. It's a good idea -- I'm hoping to get DH on board with that in a town or two in Virginia.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak -- Ah, I see. I've never owned property in NC (we rented a condo in S. Charlotte), and since we own a condo in NH, the property taxes are fairly low (to me, anyway). If we owned a house, it would be a different story.

I love Charleston! I don't think it fits iLander's criteria but it's a great city. Amelia -- it must have been fun to grow up there!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Washington state.

I'm in Sammamish now. Lived in several other places in the area. Redmond is nice too.

20 minutes from Seattle. Also close to outlet mall in North Bend. More parks than you can count. Bike trails. Dog parks. Lots of great events in Tacoma, the casinos, and The Gorge (2 1/2 hours or so).

Perfect weather. Almost never gets below 0 (like I never saw it in my life until last winter!) and rarely even into the teens. Some snow but not huge amounts (unless you like to ski then you can drive an hour or so into the mountains). Rarely hits 100. Most of summer is 70 or so.

Lots of different museums and activities around Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Sammamish and even more just across the bridge in Seattle.

Of course it rains and is cloudy....
I prefer to see it as the price we have to pay for the gorgeous trees/flowers/greenery we get to enjoy the rest of the year.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Alright so I promised I would talk about why I love Philadelphia/suburbs of Philly so here it goes:

-Proximity: If you decide to live in the suburbs of Philly, you'll be in a quaint, beautiful, relaxing area yet close enough to action whenever you want it. NY is an hour and a half away....not a difficult car ride OR train ride...its especially fun to go to during the holidays. If you want a little weekend getaway, the shore is right there. There are a lot of beautiful beach areas. Wanna go to DC? Not far away either and its a fun place to visit. Want to go skiing? Hour and a half away. Want to go camping? Hour and a half away. White water rafting? Hour and a half away. Apple picking/strawberry/pumpkin/whatever else....its all there.

-Restaurants: Philly is becoming known as one of the best cities in the U.S. for its amazing selection in restaurants. We've got numerous Stephen Starr restaurants, Jose Garcas, and many more. It undeniable that Philly has incredible restaurants suited for any taste and any amount of money from a place that's pretty cheap (Honey's in Northern Lib, thats AMAZING) to places that are big bucks...we've got it all. You will always find something within your budget. There are many gems all over the city. Lots of places to discover.

-Beer: Philadelphia is also known for the beer that it produces. Google it. I'm not a big beer person but I have friends that are and people who do love beer...LOVE Philly because of how much it has to offer.

-Old City: I love, love, love old city. I could walk around old city all day long. When FI and I were taking our engagement pictures, we did just that. We discovered so many beautiful little streets with gorgeous brownstones that I kid you not, looked like it was straight out of a painting. Guess what else we found? Lots of brownstone homes with their own backyards....and a beautiful playground perfect for relaxing or bringing kids to play. It's just so charming.

-Penn's Landing: Right next to old city is Penn's Landing. A great area to take a walk or relax by the water. You could take the ferry over to Camden to go to the Aquarium. You can go on a tour of an old, old, old navy ship thats been preserved and still sits on the water. You can go to concerts and events that are held right along the water. You can go ice skating in the winter time.

-Walnut street shopping: Tons of stores, lots of outdoor restaurants perfect for people watching.

-Rittenhouse: My apartment is located here...it is walking distance to walnut street parking. In Rittenhouse you'll also find lots of outdoor restaurants, lots of mom and pop coffee shops, barnes and noble right across from the park. The farmers marker comes to Rittenhouse Park every weekend and lots of people hang outside at the park all day long. People bring their dogs, play, sing, everything. I typically spend my weekends anywhere between Old City and Rittenhouse. If I'm going from one end to another, I take a taxi. How much does it cost? 7 bucks. 7 bucks is really nothing if you're living in the city as it is.

-History of the city: I won't get into this too much because its pretty self explanatory, there is a ton of history and tons of things to see as a result. Go to the art museum, go to the Franklin institute or the mutter museum.

-Wineries: Lots of wineries in the suburbs of Philadelphia...google Washingtons Crossings Vineyards...great place to spend a few hours at...its about 10 minutes from my parents home. Also google New Hope. Hoppin' area with lots of cool shops. Newtown is very cute too...cute shops there as well.

Soon I will be going to wine & chocolate tasting bar in Philly...can't wait.

I always find something new to do in the city. I love every single bit of it.

I do understand every city has its downfalls and Philly does have its own. I do not think it is perfect, as no city is. Do I think Philly has a lot of offer? Absolutely. There is something to do ALWAYS. I am friends with NUMEROUS individuals who have moved to Philly for various reasons from many different states and out of about 10, 1 of them doesn't like it. 1!!!!!! I have friends that have moved from all parts of Cali, North Jersey, Tennessee, and many more. I think its pretty damn good that out of the many friends I know that have moved here only 1 doesn't like it. Can't please em all, right?

walnut.jpg

penns-landing.jpg

ElfrethsAlleyAtTwilight1.jpg

1340525826_59cb87f59e.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Here is the park:

P.s. about the weather---does it get cold? Yes. Hot? Yes. BUT....it is not EXTREME. The fall here is absolutely KILLER. It really is amazing.

rittenhouse-square-philadelphia-spring-587.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315325986|3010747 said:
Colltee|1315296742|3010545 said:
CHICAGO,
I'm serious. The average temps aren't below zero. I didn't say it NEVER goes below zero, but on average, it evens out to the mid-teens. :cheeky:
I went to a comedy show once and the comedian was from L.A. He did an entire piece about how crazy Chicagoans are because we walk around in shorts and t-shirts until it hits the low 40s. That seemed a bit extreme, but we are a bit tougher when it comes to cold, I suppose.

It's not like I'm in MINNESOTA! :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Hah, I live in Minnesoa and LOVE IT! I won't deny, it gets ridiculously cold and our winters are looooong. But I like to think that only the strong survive. :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Autumnnovember! :wavey:

THANK YOU for going to so much trouble! This is a lot of great information! I never knew Philly had so much to offer! I'm quoting you below, and responding to what you said:

Autumnovember|1315359130|3011197 said:
Alright so I promised I would talk about why I love Philadelphia/suburbs of Philly so here it goes:

-Proximity: If you decide to live in the suburbs of Philly, you'll be in a quaint, beautiful, relaxing area yet close enough to action whenever you want it. NY is an hour and a half away....not a difficult c ar ride OR train ride Wanna go to DC? Not far away either and its a fun place to visit. This sounds really great, I do like to go on day trips, and it's nice to be near the good stuff.

-Restaurants: It undeniable that Philly has incredible restaurants suited for any taste and any amount of money from a place that's pretty cheap (Honey's in Northern Lib, thats AMAZING) Lots of places to discover. Cheap, good food? I'm there! I do LOVEZ me some philly cheesesteak too! :cheeky:

-Beer: I'm not a big beer person Nah, me neither, but DH likes it

-Old City: I love, love, love old city. I could walk around old city all day long. When FI and I were taking our engagement pictures, we did just that. We discovered so many beautiful little streets with gorgeous brownstones that I kid you not, looked like it was straight out of a painting. Guess what else we found? Lots of brownstone homes with their own backyards....and a beautiful playground perfect for relaxing or bringing kids to play. It's just so charming. I love this picture, I have never even heard of this! I have GOT to check this out!

-Penn's Landing: You can go to concerts and events that are held right along the water. I do like an occasional concert

-Walnut street shopping: Tons of stores, lots of outdoor restaurants perfect for people watching. SHOPPING!!!! :appl:

-Rittenhouse: My apartment is located here...it is walking distance to walnut street parking. In Rittenhouse you'll also find lots of outdoor restaurants, lots of mom and pop coffee shops, barnes and noble right across from the park. The farmers marker comes to Rittenhouse Park every weekend and lots of people hang outside at the park all day long. People bring their dogs, play, sing, everything. I typically spend my weekends anywhere between Old City and Rittenhouse. If I'm going from one end to another, I take a taxi. How much does it cost? 7 bucks. 7 bucks is really nothing if you're living in the city as it is. Must have a park, definitely!

Soon I will be going to wine & chocolate tasting bar in Philly...can't wait. I have often wondered why there aren't more chocolate tasting bars around, there are so many different flavors. I am really an aficionado, and spent the last 6 months lamenting the recent quality drop of Godiva. There's more wax and the secondary spiciness has been lost, but I could care less about wine. I'll just skip the wine and stick with the chocolate. :bigsmile:

I always find something new to do in the city. There is something to do ALWAYS.
Thank God! I am gnawing my arm off from boredom here! :rolleyes:

So, I am totally checking this out, AN. I will probably be up that way next summer, and I'll make it a point to try and spend at least a night. Again, thank you for taking the time AN, you've very sweet. Hugs!! :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1315251989|3010197 said:
I live in Ponte Vedra Beach close to Jacksonville. It's a nice town. Not too big and nit too small. Great beach communities and dogs can be on the beach. Cold winters but no snow. Change of season but hot like crazy in summer with a sea breeze.

I grew up in Florida (born outside US), and I have been all over it. I like Ponte Vedra, St Augustine, etc. Spent most of my childhood beach days on Crescent Beach. Jacksonville sure has grown!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1315257720|3010241 said:
Idaho! :bigsmile: We have all four seasons that are fairly mild but distinct, decent shopping, very low crime and little traffic inside the city (living on an outside city and coming in takes 15 - 30 minutes to go 20-40 miles). Lots of parks and wonderful family owned eateries along with the major larger stores. A real mall, not a paltry one level with a few shops in it. Places to ski and whitewater raft that are less than an hour away. No sub-zero temps here! No hurricanes, earthquakes, tornado, ice storms, etc. This is a photo I took of one of the ponds in Albertsons Park. Stunning park right in the middle of the city that makes you feel like you have escaped into a natural forest wonderland ::)

Love the "no disaster" zone, that rocks! And that is a pretty park!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1315258401|3010245 said:
I also think Richmond VA is a very cool town, especially "The Fan" neighborhood. I love the whole Blue Ridge Mountain region and outlying cities like Richmond and DC, no where else will ever feel like home.

I have to tell you, I'm not a mountain fan. I am literally terrified to drive up and down those things! :shock: I need to stay in a flatter place! Richmond is very pretty, though, not quite so scary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results