shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone's wedding affected by the Hurricane?

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Questions for anyone's whose wedding is this weekend and worried about Hurricane Irene.

I dont know what to do about my brides the the weddings that I have planned this weekend. They are debating whether to cancel, so as not to put their guests as risk and/or pay for X amount of people when many wont show, or if they should just go through with the wedding since rescheduling everything would be to hard. I feel like with my winter weddings with snow storms, brides are mentally prepared for that, and a snow storm is prepared for. But a hurricane for the north east isnt exactly something they were expecting, nor is the exact outcome a "sure thing", since the course of the hurricane and its impact on this area can certainly change over the next few days.

Many venues do have an "act of god" clause in their contracts though, stating if something prevented them from servicing the event that they can cancel (power outages, staff not being able to get into work, flooding, a state of emergency preventing people traveling here, etc). So they may end up getting canceled on anyway. So I feel like it may be better to just cancel now in advance so everyone has notice, rather than waiting until last minute? But then what if we end up not getting hit and they canceled for nothing?

My friend was having a Christening this Sunday and the venue has already canceled on her.

What would you do? Anyone getting married this weekend that has to worry about this?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's a really hard question. Speaking from the perspective of a guest, I think I'd rather not cancel and just see how things go. If I've already bought plane tickets, I'd be more upset to lose the money on the tickets for a cancelled wedding than to try my best to get there and then have it cancelled (or have the flight cancelled and the airline give me a free ticket to use later). And as a bride, I'd rather have a few guests missing than have to re-plan the entire thing. So if it were me, and there were still a chance that the hurricane wouldn't cause major problems in my area, I'd still go for it. But I know not everyone would feel the same.

The wedding I'm officiating for my friend is in late September in New Orleans. Now I'm starting to worry about hurricanes during that time. I paid around $500 for a round-trip just for the weekend.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
My friend has a wedding to go to on Saturday. No one knows whats going on. I hope she'll cancel the wedding because the wedding is in an evacuation zone.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would probably cancel. I'd be worried that anyone coming was being put in harms way. Are they able to get any money back if they cancel last minute?

I attended a wedding reception with a power outage, and it was pure misery. The bride and groom handled it well, but it was awful.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1314403124|3000955 said:
My friend has a wedding to go to on Saturday. No one knows whats going on. I hope she'll cancel the wedding because the wedding is in an evacuation zone.

You know, I posted my reply before I heard people were actually evacuating some areas. So I'll say I'd plan for everything as usual if it's not in or near an evacuation zone, but I'd be forced to cancel if we were in an area where people were asked to evacuate.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My in-laws just arrived in NYC for a wedding scheduled for tomorrow night. It hasn't been canceled yet. Given the fact that public transportation will be suspended as of noon tomorrow, I'm wondering it it will be canceled based on employees' inability to get to work.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how horrible! What a tough spot. If the venue will be closed then I would cancel. Otherwise, if people are will to show up...well, the show must go on.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
DH and I were just talking about this, too funny! I would still try to have the wedding, DH is more inclined to reschedule.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So now that the weekend is almost over...what happened, NakedFinger? Did they cancel? Did the venues cancel for them?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had two weddings in NJ Saturday night, clearly we could only attend one. We went as did 95% of the guests. Everyone had a great time- it went until 12:30 but many people started leaving by 11:45...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results