shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficulty finding french cuts...

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the look of French cut sidetones, but my bf tool me to the jeweler he has been working with to discuss settings for my e-ring and his salesperson had never heard of French cuts :O Is this crazy??? Are they rare? I showed her a photo and she said, "no, no, you mean princess cuts". I was like, "ummmm, no... I mean FRENCH cuts". I explained i was pretty sure that French cuts were the precursor to princess cuts, and I like the vintage look of them...

This is not some rinky-dink jeweler. They are a high-end jeweler in downtown Los Angeles--the jeweler that made khloé kardashian's massive 9 carat ice rink. Has anyone else come across this? Do certain jewelers specialize in these old cuts or something?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor Canera is in LA, he has no problem finding them because he has them cut for his projects.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I think reading PS has given us a skewed perception of the jewellery industry! I asked about OECs at a very reputable antique jeweller and they promptly asked me whether I was in the trade :lol:

My understanding is that modern French cuts can sometimes be the result of recut princesses. Can anyone confirm how Victor sources his? LGK might chime in here...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jewels by Erica Grace has a parcel of them for sale right now. Ari at Singlestone probably also has access to them. HTH!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna|1314357917|3000052 said:
I think reading PS has given us a skewed perception of the jewellery industry! I asked about OECs at a very reputable antique jeweller and they promptly asked me whether I was in the trade :lol:

My understanding is that modern French cuts can sometimes be the result of recut princesses. Can anyone confirm how Victor sources his? LGK might chime in here...

Victor has them cut from princess cuts, yes.
It's been my experience that many sales people, in even high end stores, do not know a whole lot about diamonds beyond what any layman can learn in a couple of hours online.
One we went into a few months ago is a good example, none of the employees had ever heard of a cushion cut.
Even our huge Tiffany & Co has uneducated staff and not a single GG in-house. One of their sales girls told me recently that the Novo didn't actually have a cushion cut, that it was a squared off RB :confused:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hate it when a salesperson is uneducated and argues. It's so obnoxious. I would agree that finding a jeweler who knows and uses them is a good idea. Seeing Victor Canera's stuff on here...I think he'd be worth checking out!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Single Stone or Victor Canera. I think they are nearly always custom cut. I saw some french cut bullet shaped side stones at singlestone that blew my socks off. :love:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1314367360|3000166 said:
Single Stone or Victor Canera. I think they are nearly always custom cut. I saw some french cut bullet shaped side stones at singlestone that blew my socks off. :love:

Ooh, those I'd like to see!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1314367989|3000176 said:

This! I really weighed having my OEC done with just the classic harry winston and big french bullets!

frenchbullets.jpg

IMO there are not enough rings being made with french cuts. I never knew about them before PS and wouldn't know how freaking GORGEOUS they are had some lucky PSers made rings with them.

I would LOVE a ring similar to LGK (with prongs). I like the leon versions too, but the design, not the brand ::) ::)

katushka

Rough_Rock
I went to Fragments in Soho to look at wedding bands and when I mentioned French cuts the man I spoke with INSISTED they didn't exist. I explained what they looked like and how I'd seen them used (from PS) and he said "if they did exist, I would know what they are." Annoying!

That really is annoying. I'd be tempted to mail him some pictures from PS and explain that "THESE ARE FRENCH CUTS!"

:rolleyes: But I'm annoying like that ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor made my custom ring with tapered French cuts that he had made from princess cuts. LOVE them.

I am thinking that I may have him set my new Aqua with French cut bullets

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1314372216|3000258 said:
maplefemme|1314367989|3000176 said:

This! I really weighed having my OEC done with just the classic harry winston and big french bullets!

That's beautiful, thanks for posting!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tuffyluvr|1314344865|3000018 said:
I explained i was pretty sure that French cuts were the precursor to princess cuts, and I like the vintage look of them...

There is no connection whatsoever between French Cuts & Princess Cuts except for being pointy square Diamonds.

French cuts were more popular in the Art Deco Era but also for a rather short period and Princess cuts developed much later (I believe circa 1980's).

But I do agree it is a pity more Jewelers are not more knowledgeable in the History of their profession.
To move forward in any field one must know it's past.

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
the parcel at JBEG is on hold. They also have a parcel of fancy yellow french cuts :love:

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Did you check with DBL? I remember seeing quite a few sidestones on his site.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I actually did bring photos, and the saleswoman/owners mother looked at it and said "those are princess cuts, there is no such thing as a French cut." totally annoying

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results