carat
color
clarity

Baby names you love, but didn't get to use

charbie

Ideal_Rock
jas|1312310385|2982459 said:
Jennifer W|1312057172|2980665 said:
I wanted to call my daughter Alice. It's a name I've always loved, so beautiful, strong yet feminine. I've always had this as my baby name.

No.

It was DH's first wife's name. She's a good, kind and generous person, I have nothing but respect for her, but it just wouldn't have felt right. ;(

If we have a girl, her middle name will be Alice...DH and I both had grandmothers with that name...

I thought of this thread last night...DH out of nowhere asked me what I thought of the name "Kendall" for a girl. I don't hate it, but considering she'd have a brother named Jackson, we may give people the impression we like wine a lot more than we really do.
I thought you were going to say considering our last name is Jackson....haha. that would be hilarious. And im not sure toooooo many people would make the connection. You just never could write their names next to each other on the christmas cards...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1311209485|2973448 said:
Gunnar was the original name for Trapper when I was pg w/him..Then JD decided it would get mispronounced so it was Gunner..a.

My fiance heard Gunner the other day and now loves it. I really like it too. And it's much better than a lot of other names he likes (Remington??? no thanks). Other boy names on the list are Barrett and Colton (can you see a theme here?)....I think the nicknames Bear and Colt are just too cute. With our luck we'll end up with a bunch of girls and won't get to use these names.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
amc -- your last post reminds me of a friend of a friend who just named her little boy Bexar. It's a county in Texas, and it's pronounced Bear (an anglicized pronunciation of a Spanish name). Anyway, they nicknamed him Bex, and I think that's the cutest name. Not sure about the Bexar part, but the nickname is adorable!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1312564226|2984875 said:
Gunnar was the original name for Trapper when I was pg w/him..Then JD decided it would get mispronounced so it was Gunner..a.

My fiance heard Gunner the other day and now loves it. I really like it too. And it's much better than a lot of other names he likes (Remington??? no thanks). Other boy names on the list are Barrett and Colton (can you see a theme here?)....I think the nicknames Bear and Colt are just too cute. With our luck we'll end up with a bunch of girls and won't get to use these names.

Ha, the same kind of theme we went thru! Gauge and Shooter were also bandied about.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
We both keep saying that we are stopping now that we have two but I don't think either of us really believes that, so I think there is a reasonable chance there will be a number three at some point. We have a Neve and a Henry and the other names we loved were

Harriet - although thats a lot of H's for three children!
Tabitha

Benjamin
Noah
Flynn

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1312568127|2984922 said:

Ha, the same kind of theme we went thru! Gauge and Shooter were also bandied about.

Shooter? That's a bit much for me, ha. I'd better not mention it to him...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1312581206|2985046 said:
packrat|1312568127|2984922 said:

Shooter? That's a bit much for me, ha. I'd better not mention it to him...

Yeaaaahhh don't bring that one up b/c you know that would be the one he would get all excited about. I would definitely stick w/Gunner, of all the names. Gunner and Gauge for twin boys would be so cute!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Willow.

Siiiigh. That was our girls name if we had a girl. Since we are unlikely to have another child, I am mourning the fact that I will never have a daughter, and never have a little Willow.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Girl name I didn't get to use,

Alexandria
Georgia
Cassandra

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lanie|1312566140|2984900 said:
amc -- your last post reminds me of a friend of a friend who just named her little boy Bexar. It's a county in Texas, and it's pronounced Bear (an anglicized pronunciation of a Spanish name). Anyway, they nicknamed him Bex, and I think that's the cutest name. Not sure about the Bexar part, but the nickname is adorable!

Adorable nickname! And I live just outside Bexar county...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had 4 names in the running, 2 for each gender
Aidan Campbell - winner
Jack Henry
Grace Campbell
Kathryn Fenn

The last three are still up for grabs if we have another child, though we'd pick a different middle name if we went with Grace.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Grace is on our short list if we have a girl, though I like it more than DH does. I also love the name Anne. I like short, classic girls' names, apparently. And I like both of these paired with the middle name Elizabeth.

For boys, I really like Liam, but D isn't fully on board with that one, either. We've agreed not to talk about it until we know the sex, but it's hard not to.

One name I like but can't use is Colin. I think it's a cute name, but it's very similar to our last name and that obviously won't work.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We used most of the names that were in serious consideration. If we were to have a fourth child (which we won't!), I think we'd go with Anne/Anna or Henry. Others that would be possibilities include Philip, Elizabeth, Margaret, and William.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been nearly 13 years since we had a baby, so it's been too long for me to remember all but my very favorites.

For boy: (we don't have any)
We planned to go with
Bryan for #1.
Joseph for #2.

For girl:
I'd always wanted to name a girl Justine. Unfortunately, thanks to our last name, all -ine or -een names were out of the question.
Other names I loved, but DH didn't were
Megan/Meghan
Lindsay
Hannah
Amanda
Abigail

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
awe, love this thread!

colin. had we had a boy. still love it.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1312829903|2986612 said:
Grace is on our short list if we have a girl, though I like it more than DH does. I also love the name Anne. I like short, classic girls' names, apparently. And I like both of these paired with the middle name Elizabeth.

My fiance just told me that he wants to use Elsie as a middle name if we have a daughter, which was his great-grandma's name. You know those names you associate with someone from your childhood and just can't move past it? That's Elsie for me...just the weirdest girl ever. Not to mention it doesn't go with any of our first name choices (since they all end in the ee sound). I suggested using Elizabeth, since Elsie is a form of it...Then in my mind it would be after Elisabeth Bennet and in his it would be after his great grandma. Vetoed. Then, grasping for straws, I suggested it as a second middle name...and he went for it. Whew. So now if we have multiple girls (please no) we will continue that pattern- first middle name will be a name we like and the second will be a family name.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
DivaDiamond007|1311213396|2973489 said:
For girls I like:

Alexandra/Alexandria
Elizabeth (my daughter's middle name)

This made me smile. My name is Elizabeth and my little sister is Alexandra.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Mainly girl names:

Emma
Amelia (with the nick name Lia)

Elizabeth and Marie for middle names.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the name Lily. It has been my favorite name for as long as I can remember, and I was convinced our little girl would be Lily.

Apparently, everyone else loves the name Lily as well. I know 5 people who recently (as in the last 6 months) named their daughters Lily, and growing up with a very unoriginal (yet lovely) name, I wanted something a bit more unique for my little girl. So, sadly, I will not have my little Lily Patrice.

That and my step-grandmother (whom I adored as a child) turned into a psychopathic bizzzznatch after my grandfathers death, and her name was Lillian. I would NEVER want anyone to think I named my daughter after her *shudder*.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
We really liked Beatrice for our first daughter's middle name but oddly enough that isn't on our list this time around. I do still like the name... just not for this child I guess!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
We want an M first name for a boy so we can keep a tradition going without having a number behind the name. I really liked Mason for a couple years. Then one of the Kardashian's picked it and now it is getting really popular :(( . Also my husband works for George Mason University so he thinks that that makes it too close. So now I am stuck with boys names!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results