shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum w/titanium or other metals?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone...

I know this 'mixing metals' subject has been talked to death, but haven't seen this one asked before.

I just got an upgrade e-ring, it is a vintage platinum solitaire with side baguettes. I have my mother's original plain white gold wedding band from her original wedding set, I had hoped to pair with the e-ring, but even after wearing them together for just a couple of weeks, I noticed scratches on the wedding band. I don't want to solder them together (I want to change up the bands once in a while), but I don't want to ruin the band by wearing them together. I can't buy a platinum wedding band right now either, it's just not in the budget, the e-ring was kind of an unplanned splurge (our 25th anniversary is this spring and I hadn't expected to find a ring so quickly)... ;-)

so my question is, as an alternative to platinum, has anyone paired platinum with a titanium band? Or even stainless steel? I am looking for an inexpensive band or stackers, to use until I can get a platinum band at some point.

Thanks in advance! =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ara Ann|1314100401|2997262 said:
Hi everyone...

I know this 'mixing metals' subject has been talked to death, but haven't seen this one asked before.

I just got an upgrade e-ring, it is a vintage platinum solitaire with side baguettes. I have my mother's original plain white gold wedding band from her original wedding set, I had hoped to pair with the e-ring, but even after wearing them together for just a couple of weeks, I noticed scratches on the wedding band. I don't want to solder them together (I want to change up the bands once in a while), but I don't want to ruin the band by wearing them together. I can't buy a platinum wedding band right now either, it's just not in the budget, the e-ring was kind of an unplanned splurge (our 25th anniversary is this spring and I hadn't expected to find a ring so quickly)... ;-)

so my question is, as an alternative to platinum, has anyone paired platinum with a titanium band? Or even stainless steel? I am looking for an inexpensive band or stackers, to use until I can get a platinum band at some point.

Thanks in advance! =)

Well - any metals are going to scratch if you wear them together. The issue w/ gold and plat is that the plat will *eat* into the gold, quite literally wearing it away one scratch at a time, over a period of many years.

I think anything would be okay for short-term use, no need to worry about one metal against another unless there are exposed diamond girdles. Long-term - yeah, I'd stick with plat or palladium, same family of metals. If your current concern is destroying the wedding band would you consider a tiny gold spacer?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply Yssie!

Yeah, I already see some scratches on the wedding band, which I've only worn on and off for a couple of weeks with the e-ring, so not too happy about that. I also thought I'd get maybe a few months of wearing them as a set before I had to worry about any damage from the platinum...not working out that way. :rolleyes:

Thanks for mentioning palladium too, that was going to be my next question! Since palladium is a lot more reasonably priced, maybe I'll keep an eye out for one that is affordable.

I just hate to invest in anything else at this point, even a gold spacer, until I can buy my 'real'wedding band. I'm considering getting some inexpensive plated silver stacker bands and letting those get eaten up in the mean time though (which is why I asked about the titanium and steel rings, would they hold up better than silver against the platinum?).

Feels weird to just wear the e-ring alone. But since my e-ring is an early anniversary gift (I am not waiting until April to wear it!)...I am hoping to have my real wedding band for our actual anniversary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results