shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Halo Setting - Leon Mege or Steve Kirsch?

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I recently bought a cushion and am looking to have it set in a pave halo (HW inspired) that will allow for the ring to fit flush with the wedding band. I met with Leon a few weeks ago and got a chance to see his amazing work in person. I have also been looking at Steven Kirsch's setting but haven't gotten a chance to meet with him yet. I've been lurking on PS for sometime to see more of both of their work.

Has anyone else had any experience choosing one of these designer as opposed to the other? If so, what were the reasons that helped you decide? Is their work more or less comparable? I've been reading over some of CharmyPoo's and frankiextah's old posts, and would love to hear from anyone else who was/is trying to decide between Leon Mege and Steven Kirsch!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if you saw this thread but I thought I'd share it with you.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rom-erd-halo-setting-by-steven-kirsch.162955/

Very pretty! This is the only cushion setting from Steven I could find posted on here but I may be forgetting a thread.

Hopefully someone who has dealt with both vendors will chime in. I've never worked with Leon but got a quote from him when I was looking for settings. He responded promptly and his price was in line with the other vendors that I got quotes from. I had a tight deadline so I didn't end up choosing him (also I was seeking an antique-y bezel setting which isn't really Leon-esque :wink2: ).

I've read that Steven can complete settings sooner (for a premium?) so if you are on a time line that may be something to consider.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response pixies! I hadn't seen the SK halo that you posted. I don't necessarily need a very quick turn around and can wait a few weeks if I must.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend Victor Canera in LA unless you must have someone in NYC.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
Here's a vote for Steven Kirsch. He just finished my ring, and I was blown away with his service, his quality, and the entire process in general. I couldn't recommend him more.

I haven't dealt w LM, but SK was outstanding from start to finish.

Hope this helps.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
mrb09 good to hear you experience with SK went so well! Did your setting have any pave if you don't mind me asking.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I really had my mind set on LM doing my ring for me. When I called him to ask about setting a cushion I was looking to purchase (not from him) I found him very condescending in our conversation, I was shocked.
I had only heard positive feedback from him on PS and I wasn't quite sure what I'd said to get such an attitude, I was very nice to him.
I'd did some searching on PS and consequently found other members feedback who had similar negative experiences with LM and ended up with rings they are not happy with.
It seems you could flip a coin, some people get great rings and nothing but friendly service, others get treated poorly and not so great rings.
I got attitude and quite frankly wasn't willing to pay someone to be treated that way.
It's my understanding that LM isn't always hands on with the making of his rings now and you can't request him to personally work on your ring, many are made by his benches. I also understand that SK used to be one of his benches and now works independently in the same building.
I spoke with SK and he's going to be making a ring for me, he's been fantastic to work with from the very start.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him and I'd also love to work with Victor Canera on a ring sometime, I'm impressed by both their work and customer service.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
maplefemme thanks for sharing your experience with both SK and LM. I'm so glad you're getting great customer service with SK.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
SC86|1311643436|2976759 said:
maplefemme thanks for sharing your experience with both SK and LM. I'm so glad you're getting great customer service with SK.

Anytime... ;))

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I post a second for also adding Victor Canera to your shortlist. He just finished a pave halo for me. I have been blown away by his wonderful communication and collaboration. His turnaround time is excellent as well.

He does 100% handforged and casting-free, if that is important to you. As far as I know, as of this writing, his pave halo prices are more competitive than SK and LM (but do verify for yourself).

Hope this helps, and I'm sure whomever you choose in the end will make something beautiful. Come back with pics!

Anne

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankiextah has used both and actually had SK redo a ring that was originally done by Leon. But I'd probably personally get quotes from SK and Victor Canera judging from reading reviews here.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually working on the exact same project right now...a HW style halo and I am finding that LM, SK and VC are all about the same price. If anything, my in person conversation with LM has resulted in a quote approximately $400 less than the other two. But they are all hovering around the $5k mark. And SK does not pay for shipping, while I know that LM does. I am not sure yet about VC as I just started these conversations on Friday/Saturday. So far, Victor has been the most responsive and accommodating, and even began sketching a concept for a custom gallery for me. But I also have to give credit to LM....although we had a bit of a tussle over the phone, he was much better in person. I think we both commented on how our opinions of each other changed upon meeting :rolleyes: And his display box contained some GORGEOUS pieces. He almost had me convinced to give up a diamond and wear a massive pave aquamarine as my e-ring. I didn't want to take it off!

Based on the prices of the custom hand forged designs though, I am wondering if I need to focus on cast work with JbEG or ERD.

Good luck with your process, OP!

anne_h|1311644414|2976774 said:
I post a second for also adding Victor Canera to your shortlist. He just finished a pave halo for me. I have been blown away by his wonderful communication and collaboration. His turnaround time is excellent as well.

He does 100% handforged and casting-free, if that is important to you. As far as I know, as of this writing, his pave halo prices are more competitive than SK and LM (but do verify for yourself).

Hope this helps, and I'm sure whomever you choose in the end will make something beautiful. Come back with pics!

Anne

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JBEG is quite high, I think. And I definitely paid shipping with LM unless he has changed his policy.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input everyone! I really love hearing everyone's 2 cents! I did get a chance to look at LM's display box when I was there and he does have some gorgeous pieces! I definitely have my heart set on a halo, but he had a 4+ ct solitaire cushion with pave on the band on display that was to die for!

LM does ship for free. Thankfully I am in NYC very often, so if SK doesn't ship for free I guess that wouldn't make or break my decision. I hadn't considered VC before but I will now with all of these rave reviews!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have heard that LM does use some cast *parts* (though obviously his workmanship is still much more handmade/high end than the CAD/cast pieces)- whereas VC does totally handforged. If that matters for you. Dunno about SK.

I also had a great experience working with Victor. He was *incredibly* fast and very, very easy to work with- though I didn't go for pave, his pave work looks to die for IMO. Victor also has a great eye- I left a number of details up to him, and loved the result. (I'd requested a bezeled, tapered french cut setting with engraving & a touch of filigree and left it up to him to decide what to do with that- he did a double millgrain bezel, and decided where/how much filigree to use at his discretion and it's just perfect IMO).

ETA: I also thought JBEG was high for CAD/cast, though their bench does do gorgeous work.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
One more vote for Victor here. He has been exactly as stated on the other threads - prompt, giving, excellent communicator, and I found his prices reasonable and upfront. If you want something, it will cost you, but he tells you how much, and whether you need to or not. He even gave a few options for a stone, but said that it doesn't matter one whit if I bring a stone to him - he would be just as happy to work on that. I've seen his finished work, and I've heard of his efficiency. He is surely on the cusp of something big with all these rave reviews - I would happily recommend him.

I can't deal with Divas, and I don't want to work with anyone with even a SINGLE senseless complaint in his name. Generic complaints are fine, and run of the mill so no issue there. LM has a few that just scream random. An E-ring is too important to play russian roulette with someone's ego. And i don't want to take crap as a customer either. But by all reasoning, there are also a ton of fans out there for LM's work.

mrb09

Rough_Rock
SC86|1311630461|2976590 said:
mrb09 good to hear you experience with SK went so well! Did your setting have any pave if you don't mind me asking.

Yes, to crisscrossing rows of cutdown pave. Stunning, I'm going to be posting pictures today. Pictures don't do these things justice from my experience, as in person, you cant see a spec of metal and the diamonds are perfectly set. Shipping ran me about $120...not a big deal at the end of the process.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
mrb09|1311684365|2977003 said:

Yes, to crisscrossing rows of cutdown pave. Stunning, I'm going to be posting pictures today. Pictures don't do these things justice from my experience, as in person, you cant see a spec of metal and the diamonds are perfectly set. Shipping ran me about $120...not a big deal at the end of the process.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these pics...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with Steven or Victor Canera probably.

SC86

Shiny_Rock

Sounds gorgeous!! Can't wait to so those pics! :cheeky:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
LGK|1311652438|2976873 said:
I have heard that LM does use some cast *parts* (though obviously his workmanship is still much more handmade/high end than the CAD/cast pieces)- whereas VC does totally handforged. If that matters for you. Dunno about SK.

I also had a great experience working with Victor. He was *incredibly* fast and very, very easy to work with- though I didn't go for pave, his pave work looks to die for IMO. Victor also has a great eye- I left a number of details up to him, and loved the result. (I'd requested a bezeled, tapered french cut setting with engraving & a touch of filigree and left it up to him to decide what to do with that- he did a double millgrain bezel, and decided where/how much filigree to use at his discretion and it's just perfect IMO).

ETA: I also thought JBEG was high for CAD/cast, though their bench does do gorgeous work.
Both SK and LM use some cast parts to create their beautiful rings but if having a ring completely made by hand is important to you only Victor does that .

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Hospatogi|1311696360|2977080 said:

Both SK and LM use some cast parts to create their beautiful rings but if having a ring completely made by hand is important to you only Victor does that .

I just contacted SK about this comment and he told me he does not use any cast parts in his rings. I have nothing against cast parts, however, I think it's important to post accurate information so consumers can make an educated choice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would likely choose between SK and VC, based on the feedback on PS and the pictures posted.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
maplefemme|1311702301|2977136 said:

I just contacted SK about this comment and he told me he does not use any cast parts in his rings. I have nothing against cast parts, however, I think it's important to post accurate information so consumers can make an educated choice.
I am posting accurate information as I had a ring done by SK and had it appraised. The appraisal indicates that it was indeed cast and assembled. That in no way means that I do not absolutely adore my ring because I do but I do think its important for consumers to know to ask whether their ring will be hand forged or not and not make the assumption that it will be !!!

mrb09

Rough_Rock
SC86|1311690912|2977045 said:

Sounds gorgeous!! Can't wait to so those pics! :cheeky:

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I posted the pics and thought I'd share the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-steven-kirsch-creation.163651/#post-2977170#p2977170

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Hospatogi|1311705338|2977171 said:

I am posting accurate information as I had a ring done by SK and had it appraised. The appraisal indicates that it was indeed cast and assembled.

Did you speak with SK about this? I'd be upset to pay for a ring with the understanding that it was 100% hand forged to find out it was cast.
Edited ask: Can you tell me what specifically the appraiser found that confirmed it was cast and assembled please?

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Re: Cushion Halo Setting - Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch?

Seem like the overwhelming votes are for SK or VC!

Hospatogi - I second maplefemme's question. How did the appraiser know it was cast? And did you reach out to SK after you found out?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1311705957|2977181 said:
Hospatogi|1311705338|2977171 said:

I am posting accurate information as I had a ring done by SK and had it appraised. The appraisal indicates that it was indeed cast and assembled.

Did you speak with SK about this? I'd be upset to pay for a ring with the understanding that it was 100% hand forged to find out it was cast.
Edited ask: Can you tell me what specifically the appraiser found that confirmed it was cast and assembled please?

I would also be curious about this. My own experience with appraisers suggests they are not all expert enough to actually determine this type of thing ::) .

NE Jewels

Rough_Rock
Trade
You can tell hand made jewelry from the way it's constructed, the shape of the metal used and some other small factors. If you use an appraiser that has a bit of experience with bench work or manufacturing of jewelry he should be able to tell the difference.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
My appraiser has evaluated many pricescopers rings and is quite knowlegeable when it comes to evaluating ring settings so there is no mistake. I am disapointed that my ring was not hand forged but still think my ring is beautiful and far more delicate and fluid than most CAD and cast rings. I actually just got a compliment on my ring the other day so there is no doubt that SK makes gorgeous rings. I shared my comment hoping that others will just make sure to ask rather than assume like I did that their ring will be 100 % hand forged .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results