shape
carat
color
clarity

salton jewelry spa is awesome for cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I bought my salton from dmart..... as a matter of fact 2 of them.. one for my sister. It took about 8 days. Now I''m trying to return them and after 2 days I''m still waiting for a return authorization. Abbott

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

8 DAYS!? *GASP*

I SHOULD get one for my firend...honestly, she could use it, since she has a breathtaking three stone e-ring, it sparkles like MAD and is always filthy. She could technically take out a cornea if she had a Salton...

31.gif

D Mart 2 doesn''t strike me as the BEST of online retailers, but it WAS the cheapest for the product, and in this case where it''s the SAME product and I just need that alone, I didn''t mind... But I bet for the $30 more, Amazon would have shipped it FASTER... *SIGH*

20.gif

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I just got mine ( I ordered 2 as well) from Dmart and I am missing the strainer and tweezers in both units! I will see how it works cleaning and steaming. If there is sputtering, I will return them.

7.gif

Luv

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
I thought I was missing the strainer and the tweezers, too....but it''s all the way on the top left hand side. One of the tops comes off and they are hidden inside. I was so upset at first thinking they were not there.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The sputtering may be because you are overfilling the steamer tank. It''s rather sensitive to the amount of water in the reservoir. Too little and you don''t get any steam, too much and you get the sputtering effect that you describe.

I''ve contacted Oakite about the cleaning material and ordered a bucket. I need to find some containers to put it into but if anyone wants some of it, please feel free to contact me. I haven''t decided what it will cost yet because I don''t know the price and size of the package but I''ll be reasonable. It''s supposed to arrive in a week or two.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

abbott

Shiny_Rock
OK... I might try it again since I''m still waiting for the return authorization. What is the correct amount of water for the steamer???

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2004 11:37:20 AM
Author: abbott
OK... I might try it again since I''m still waiting for the return authorization. What is the correct amount of water for the steamer???
For the cleaning tank, there is a "fill" line. For the reservoir that provides the water for the steam action, you just fill up (not over fill) -- there is sort of a "line" that goes along the perimeter near the top -- I wouldn''t surpass that line. Also, the longer the machine is on, the more that steam is "ready" to go, so I wouldn''t let it sit on for 45 min. before using. Good luck!!!

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 11:49:42 PM
Author: ninasstar
I thought I was missing the strainer and the tweezers, too....but it''s all the way on the top left hand side. One of the tops comes off and they are hidden inside. I was so upset at first thinking they were not there.

Ok, where? I lifted off the top that covers the cleaning part/basket and don''t see them. Is there something that comes off, that maybe doesn''t look like it comes off? I don''t want to break this thing, but I can''t seem to locate where you''re talking about...

Luv

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Nevermind! I found it/them! Thanks sooo much Nina!

9.gif

Luv

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
I am so glad you found them!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
emotion-19.gif
Just got mine!!!! I am too tired to head out and buy some distilled water, but TOMORROW....I swear, it''s like Christmas!!
emotion-19.gif
36.gif

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I received mine today. I like the steamer, but as far as the cleaning in the tank, I can''t tell a difference. When I press "clean," am I supposed to notice any activity in the tank, like bubbling? It doesn''t seem to do anything after I press the button.

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
try pressing the button to clean a second time...that''s what I do....it works great. And yes, you will see some bubbles.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Well, poo. It looks like I received a reject. No matter how many times I press clean, nothing happens. When I tried it for the last time, the unit started to make a strange clicking sound, so I turned it off right away. I don''t want to be known as the woman who electrocuted herself while cleaning her jewelry. I guess it''s back to the simple "red stuff" for me.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock

There is so much information that could be covered on this thread. Here are a just a few thoughts.

The home cleaners are ok if you look at them as a way to clean some of the jewelry, some of the time, and not expecting the results of having your jewelry cleaned by a jeweler. Sort of like buying the floss and picks that the dentist use and expecting the same level of cleaning.

Some products don''t work because the soapy solutions do not cut to the problem well enought. We upgrade our solutions whenever new products are available and truly work better. As mentioned before, we have added a local company''s products Sparkle, Sparkle cleaning products because they work better.

Some don''t work because the power of the units don''t do what is needed. A $10 iron has steam but is not enough steam pressure to clean a ring.

Some people just do not use common sense. Stones that are glued in such as pearls, should not sit in a liquid solution or be steamed.

Some stones do not take the temperature change from a cool room to a steam. It is not the heat of the steam but the temperature change that often affects a stone like tanzanite or peridot.

Some stones like emerald may have a filling that does not work well with cleaners.

Some stones like lapis, tourquoise, may be color enhanced and do not take well to cleaners.

Rings that have inlay should not be soaked in anything.

Often the places selling equipment do not know what can and can not be used in them.

Cleaners like Ionic are good for some items but will actually mark the shank where the wire touches the ring after the wire starts to corrode.

Good advise to find a good jeweler to help with the ins and outs of products and gems.

IaMMoYY

Rough_Rock

I hope this is not a silly question, but will frequent cleaning NOT be good to the stones and the setting in a long run? Thanks!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a couple comments on the size of the Salton cleaner. How big is it? The website doesn''t give dimensions. My hubby ordered it for me for Christmas and it is backordered for 2-3 weeks. I''m a little concerned also because it seems like a few people here seem to have gotten defective cleaners. Please help, thanks!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I was worried, after reading posts about defective units, but I''m HAPPY with my Salton Jewelry Spa!!!
emotion-19.gif

So far I have only cleaned my 3 stone diamond ring and diamond earrings.....but WOW! They look like new again
30.gif

I have tried all the drugstore cleaners and scrubbing with a toothbrush, but have NEVER had results like this. The unit is large, about 12 inches high, 8 inches deep and maybe 6 inches wide. These measurements are estimates, and not exact measurements. I don''t mind the size, but I have plenty of room to spare in my bathroom.

I can''t wait to get to cleaning all my other baubles.....I was even trying to coax hubby into letting me clean his wedding ring, which has channel set diamonds
31.gif
Maybe tonight he will let me!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I just saw an infomercial for the Salton Jewelry Spa and my fingers were itching to dial the phone like you wouldn't believe! "But," I said to myself, "I'd better check it out on Pscope first..."
9.gif
31.gif

Well, the powder issue would have driven me mad (headlight, good thing you took the fall for all of us!
2.gif
)...Also, have you heard back from the powder company? I am seriously thinking of purchasing this little item but want to make sure I can use the proper powder in it over the long haul.
1.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil:

Just be aware that there are things you need to do to repackage and sell a chemical type product. Proper labeling, Proper hazard class code (and shipping requirments/lables), availability of MSDS sheets, etc.

I wish you luck with your little venture - just be sure that you have enough of the t''s crossed and i''s dotted that you don''t get into trouble down the line.

Perry

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perry,

Hopefully this isn''t a huge can of worms.
I can''t imagine that it will be much of a business venture but it seemed like an interesting exercise and a useful service. The MSDS is supplied by the manufacturer and I was just going to include a copy of theirs. I haven''t really thought about label issues but my expectation was to basically copy the text from the manufacturer there as well. Shipping topics are one that I hadn''t considered. This is pretty inert stuff but I need to look up the rules about proper labeling for shipping purposes.

Should I be avoiding this entirely?

Neil

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil:

I would not say to avoid it entirely at this point. But let's do a little research to make sure you are legal.

A copy of the Mfr's MSDS is fine as long as you relable it with the Mfr's name and product code (Oakite "gizmo powder"). Please be aware the Mfr's periodically update the MSDS's and I would check the Oakite website periodically for the latest MSDS. Should you want to relable it with your own product name you would be responsible for developing your own MSDS sheet (and you can't just copy the Oakite one).

Editted to add: Neil, you should check with Oakite about repackaging the product into smaller packages if you are going to relable it with the Oakite product name. Some companies have no problem with people doing this - others do not allow repackaging of their products under their name. If Oakite will not allow that (or charges to much for the rights) then you need to get the package size small enough to fall under the consumer exceptions for the chemical class (see below). End of edit.

Shipping: Key question here is how did it arrive. Was it shipped by UPS, or by truck (commercial carrier). If it was shipped to you by UPS - then UPS will be able to ship it. If it was shipped to you via truck - then UPS probably cannot ship it (or cannot ship it without lots of expensive packaking) - at least at the larger packaging sizes.

Was it shipped to your business or to your residence. My memory is that there are different classes of products that can be shipped to businesses and to residences. A little research would be appropriate. I seem to recall a previous post saying that other people had difficulty dealing with Oakite to get this product - and that may have been the difference right there (Oakite probably only deals with businesses - and the shipping class issue may be why).

What lables are attached to the 50 Lb bucket. I would expect both a integrated multicolor 4 triangel lable (hazard codes for the users), and a shipping hazard code lable (typically one background color). You may be required to apply the shipping hazard code lable to your shipments. However, some research may be needed as small quantities of certain products can be sold as "consumer" prodects without lableing and MSDS sheets (which is probably why small quantities could be included with the saton spa - but perhaps a change in regulations is why the spa is no longer being made - and they could ship existing fabricated units but not new ones after a certain date).

One thing that you and everyone else should be aware of: It will problably cost you more to package and lable the shipment than a few ounces of the chemicals cost. That does not make it a bad deal for people looking for small quantiites of the product - just a fact of life when buying small quantities of anything.

I used to have a job where we made small explosive charges for commercial use; and keeping up with the shipping issues was a constant job. We took product that in large quantities could only be transported by special registered carriers that could only move in daylight and park at night in special explosive areas (typically moved about 6 hours a day), and sold small charges that could be shipped via commercial truck, emery, or FedX as long as there were no cargo conflicts. We had to redesign the shipping packaging, and size of the boxes, several times to keep up with the changing in regulations. What was really neat for us was when one company came up with a way to ship us small quantities of C4 via common carrier (it probably cost them thousands to develope and test that packaging).

Perry

Sue777

Rough_Rock
Let me just add my "OH MY GOD!" to this string. I just used my Salton for the first time and cannot believe what gorgeous jewelry I have! My 1.5 round diamond is fairly new (one week) and even THAT looks so much better but my other diamond rings and earrings look better than I ever remember them looking. And here''s a TRUE testimonial: I was having my acrylic nail tips taken off about 2 weeks ago. The least intrusive and least painful way to do that is to soak your fingers in fingernail polish remover. I was at the nail place soaking for a long time, and when I was done I noticed that I had "melted" acrylic stuck to my fingers, between my fingers, etc. And yes, in every nook and cranny of my diamond rings!!!! I was able to peel most of it off of my fingers over the course of the next 24 hours, but that''s not possible with rings that have multiple stones, etc. I thought my ring was ruined for sure and was going to go to the jeweler''s to see if he could "save" it. But then I knew my Salton was arriving any day so I waited - and my rings are CLEAN - even the hardened acrylic!!!!!

Question: what ever became of the offer to buy a large drum of powder and sell it in smaller sizes? I read every single post of this thread and it just seemed to die. Is there powder out there for the buying? If so, please count me in.

P.S. Oh, I am slightly disappointed in the "steamer" aspect of this, too, but as long as you keep hitting the steam button as soon as it goes off, it gives you plenty of "oomph!"

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sue777,
I have my powder but I''m still working on getting the paperwork right so I can resell it. I haven''t put much thought into it because of the christmas season and all but I''ll see what I can do this week.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you are happy with your cleaner! However, I cannot believe you soaked off your acrylics WITH your jewelry on -- SHAME ON YOU, GIRLFRIEND!!! Glad it all worked out, though
1.gif

I actually ordered a bucket of the Oakite 90 (this is the stronger one, so you use 1 scoop, not two) -- the unit comes with Oakite 295 which is only avail. in DRUMS! I had to have it shipped to my husband''s office as they are not allowed to send chemicals to a residence. He brought it home the other day. I have not yet refilled my little powder container from the kit with the new stuff.
I did notice that on www.esalton.com they show that they sell the powder that comes with the kit, but it has been out of stock. I emailed them about a week ago to see when it would again be in stock, but they never replied to me.
As for the steam, I don''t think you are supposed to keep pressing the steam button once you are in the middle of a steam cycle. However, let that cycle run through, then when the green "ready" light comes back on, do your steam again, and repeat as necessary. You should get better and better steam. Honestly, I have been thrilled with the steam feature and am not sure what those of you who were disappointed have been describing.

Sue777

Rough_Rock
Hi there. Actually, believe it or not, I wouldn''t have tried pressing the "steam" button more than once had I not read that suggestion in the Owner''s Manual that comes with it. I forget the way they word it but they say if you want that extra "oomph" that''s what you should do.

Yes, I am guilty of being careless about the acrylic nail soaking, but in my defense when I began the soak it was in very shallow fluid and the rings weren''t submerged, and he said it was only going to be for a few minutes. Then he''d come by and check, add more fluid, and stick my hands back in, and by that time I was more concerned with getting the nails off than thinking about any damage to the rings. And truthfully? Had I owned my new 1.5 carat at that time I''m SURE I would have been more conscientious, but seeing as the rings I had one were older, my focus wasn''t on my jewelry at the time.
emcrook.gif

This morning before work I cleaned hubby''s ring and was surprised to find the steamer portion worked much better than it did yesterday during my first attempt at cleaning with the Salton. Just keeps getting better!
Sue

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
We just got our salton. It''s very cool. I can definitely tell a difference. Got it on amazon.com for $70. Found it other places, but the fine print said that it was on "back-order", and after reading that they were no longer being produced, opted to pay a little more through an amazon vendor. The thing takes tarnish off silver that silver polish wouldn''t get rid of.

Was there ever a consensus on a replacement for the cleaner when the chemicals that ship with it run out?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Apparently, the info that it was no longer being produced was incorrect, as it is readily sold on www.esalton.com AND, I just checked on Friday, 2/18/05, that they DO have the cleaning solution IN STOCK! So, no need to find alternative cleaning solution!!! I did get the BIG bucket of the alternative compound from the company that makes the cleaning powder and it works great, too, so all is good. But now that people can just order the little bottles is a good thing!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2005 3:22:18 PM
Author: headlight
Apparently, the info that it was no longer being produced was incorrect, as it is readily sold on www.esalton.com AND, I just checked on Friday, 2/18/05, that they DO have the cleaning solution IN STOCK! So, no need to find alternative cleaning solution!!! I did get the BIG bucket of the alternative compound from the company that makes the cleaning powder and it works great, too, so all is good. But now that people can just order the little bottles is a good thing!

I''m glad I saw this post! I just ordered 3 bottles of the cleaning solution so I have some back-up...it seems like it was out of stock forever!

Is the Salton cleaner really being discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results