shape
carat
color
clarity

Repair costs...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my diamond out of the bank and got the prongs checked. One loose shared prong melee and one loose burnished set ruby... Cost $125 to fix. Seems really high for that. But I don't know... Does that sound right?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's easy enough to shop this sort of thing but it varies quite a bit with the details of exactly what's wrong. The world is full of jewelers of various talents and it's worth noting that the best is rarely the cheapest. If it's as you describe and there's no metal work required, I agree, that's steep and it shouldn't be an especially difficult job. I would start by asking the person who made the piece assuming that you know who they are and are otherwise happy with them. Is this $125 bid from a local benchman or someone else?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil is right on. Is there any wear on the item that needs work, or is this strictly a little stone tightening job? Is there any problem with the ruby making it fragile or likely to chip if a lot of care is not used? Is the repair guy going to be responsible for damage to the stones?

Also, with the way business costs are so stiff today, many of us need to charge a lot just to get out of bed each morning. :angryfire: :appl: I can't say I'm thrilled charging a relatively high basic fee, but not one thing in my cost of doing business has decreased in several years. Everything is rising, insurance, phone, electricity, etc, etc. Fewer people are feeling "rich" and that smaller group has to pay more to get the offered services and products. So long as the work is done right and you have shopped to be sure the price is competitive, then that's the price required. The original maker might do the job for free if you know the details and the maker is still around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results